View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #4498
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
haha, that's a good comparison - because in both cases it seemed like they had some cool ideas and images and sequences in mind, but didn't quite know how to wrap it all up, so they came up with a BOOYA ending that's got references and nods to multiple previous moments of the film without ever really making any fucking sense. it certainly had potential to end much more strongly. but i did thoroughly enjoy a good 80% of it before that, though.

cinematography is outrageous, toni collette is fantastic, and some moments of it are so harrowing it feels like watching someone else's bad dream. like, it's got that G-force thing where it makes you feel like the ground is falling under your feet for a second. amazing stuff.
I do love Toni collette. Every now and then I look at her and imagine Muriel’s Wedding, I can’t help it. But even doing that, she’s still fabulous in whatever she’s in.

Cinematography was stunning, and these of the miniatures really amazed me.

I think when so many elements are strong, as an audience we expect the ending to be strong too, not just visually, but in terms of the story having closure and being able to find some sort of meaning or premise in it. I know that filmmakers have shifted away from resolution as an aim of storytelling and I can appreciate that, too. But somehow it still feels very unsatisfying to me when there is a lot of mythology involved in the story but no resolution...because mythology is all about meaning and symbolism and resolution. Well, to me it is, anyway.