View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke de Spa View Post
what have hype and release date got to do with how good a game is

xii's story was easily the subtlest of any of the FFs i've played, and if its final third hadn't derailed it'd easily be my favourite. as it stands, viii wins out, and it has its fair share of idiocy
I like VII best. Sure, the translation was awful, but it's a jrpg. None of them are novels and I liked how FFVII combined its atmosphere/feel with story. Both it and Chrono Trigger are unique in that regard, no other games have ever really had stories (or should I say, experiences) like that.

XII falls apart so bad at the end (as you even admit to) that I can't believe you even bother to defend it. The story sucks and so do the characters. Vaan is literally the worst main character in any Final Fantasy. He does nothing. I have no idea what Square-Enix was thinking.

Hype and release date by themselves have nothing to do with anything usually, but it took over 5 years to get FFXII. All we got was a crappy abandoned story, crappy abandoned gameplay and shitty characters. Totally not worth the wait. Pick up Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, you can thank me later.

FFXIII will probably take at least two years to come out. If X-2 and XII are an indication, it's going to suck. Mistwalker bailed me out this gen, thankfully