View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #139
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

The CD discussion up in here is quite interesting... a few thoughts all hit me in a flurry the other day.

So, I've got all of my CDs ripped into iTunes in ALAC. Went with that codec ultimately because I like iTunes (generally) for digital music organization and it'll play nicely with iPhones and Sonos 'round the house. It was a LOT of work. Just shy of 2,000 albums all ripped down with artwork, meticulous tagging, the whole damn chute and match. Been enjoying that for years. And when a new release would come out, I'd do what some other boomers in here do: buy the CD, rip it in lossless. And before the streaming age, this made total sense: because why would I buy MP3s on iTunes for the same price as a CD?

Then a few weeks ago, I got a popup in my Instagram feed for Amazon Music HD. Streaming lossless. Three month trial - FREE! So I went for it. And I'm surprised just how many high quality albums they have in there. Stuff that I couldn't quite spring for on CD (deluxe editions by bands I like but don't love, etc) - all right there in lossless.

Later that very same day, I was in a local record store. And they have the new Wilco album sitting there. I had listened to it once, liked it, and did what I was naturally wont to do: buy it on CD, rip it and add it to the collection. But now that I had access to it right there in the app... why? So I kept browsing, and talked myself out of buying it. Then, on the next row over, were the new arrivals in the used CD section. And on top of that rack front and center was a pristine copy of Mellon Collie on CD. And in seeing that, I got that rush of home town pride that I still feel for SP, deep in my bones: those are my guys, that's my favorite album right there, dammit.

And you just don't get that while seeing it in Amazon music on an app screen in the same way. But weirdly enough, I left without getting that Wilco. And it's playing right now in the Amazon HD app.

Music is confusing in 2019, man.