View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #311
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
I've heard that your FACE... is the spaces on the treble clef.

I haven't kept up with comics for maybe over a year now. I haven't read any of the recent Nightwing stuff.

I was reading the Green Arrow Rebirth book before I fell off, though. Ben Percy had already been impressing me on the Green Arrow book before the "Rebirth" banner, so I followed him as he continued on it. He was bringing the political commentary back to the book, after that aspect of the character was pretty much erased after the reboot.

I also followed Tom King onto Batman, because I loved his Omega Men book, but I stopped after the first arc, because his Batman was pretty bland.
I like that DC started implementing a sort of 99% vs. 1% modern angle to their stories but there's a real missed opportunity in NightWing

from the start it shows you Grayson is obsessed with the book Robin Hood and the villain in the first arc is a more Robin Hood-esque Batman who does things like gets members of the court of owl (evil rich plutocrats) killed (with NightWing's help) in exchange for a bounty which he donates to refugees

but the story doesn't end up having NightWing ask why Raptor is the villain and millionaire Batman the hero, it's just like "he kills so he's evil" and now I leave Gotham because I got people killed

I feel a better development of Grayson's character would have had him as a poor orphan himself question the Wayne's and turn against Bruce to a degree

thankfully once he gets to BluudHaven there's a really fresh take on the character's villains and the depiction of the city is great

plus his love interest immediately became one of my favorite DC superwomen a sort of anti-hero graffiti artist and their relationship is written surprisingly well