View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #147
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
Gish --> Adore = pretty self-evident lyrical growth. Everything after that has obviously been a 10 mile trip backwards, his lyrics now are worse than the pre-Gish material.

I do not get your breakdown of what makes a "good lyric" at all. Concrete narratives with no nuance or enigma are what makes good lyrics? I mean have you ever read any poetry? Something being abstract does not mean it doesn't have meaning. Corgan's ability in the old days to conjure emotional reaction from abstract imagery and word association is fucking amazing. The guy was a master. You sound like someone looking at a Picasso and complaining that the people aren't painted anatomically correctly.
You're confusing abstract with nonsensical.

Deep layered meanings are usually done by using metaphors and similes, not by connecting random thoughts in a travelogue sense where you're in the Appellation mountains in one line then swimming in the Hawaiian beaches the next line. That's how Billy writes his lyrics much of the time.

Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions from time to time. I've personally stated that "Drum + Fife" is the only redeeming lyric on MTAE, and I've always liked "Stand Inside Your Love". But much of the rest of his lyrics are for the most part just gibberish.