View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 PM   #866
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I wish I had the guts to contact some people I ended up losing touch with who I still hold in high regard.
I think most of them would appreciate it. Especially with platonic friendships. With romantic relationships, there's always the possibility that they've moved on already.

I mean, people like having friends, so if they enjoyed the time you spent together, there's no reason they wouldn't want to get back in touch. Being busy could prevent that desire from coming to fruition, though. But that doesn't mean they aren't interested in rekindling the friendship.

I dunno, the other person I've been taking out also kind of disappeared on me after a pretty good first date. In that case, I restored the contact rather than the reverse. I was kind of hesitant about doing it, because I didn't wanna seem pushy, but I really sensed that the drop in contact was due to reasons other than her losing interest. And it turned out that her reason was also going through a bit of a funk, and being "intimidated" by how much she liked me (which is some weird-ass Twilight Zone shit because nobody has any logical basis to think that much of me).

There's another friend I haven't been able to stop thinking about getting in contact with again since we had a row and stopped talking. But I feel like she probably would be bothered by hearing from me. I dunno, we would make plans, and then she would just stop responding instead of just taking two seconds to tell me she has to cancel. She would also be really flakey in general. I told her that it she wasn't interested in hanging out, she should just say so, instead of being inconsiderate of my time by not letting me know she can't make something so I could at least use that day I cleared to make other plans. Instead of just saying "yeah sorry my bad," she tries to tun the tables on me by going "you should have picked up on the fact that I'm all over the place" and being upset that I dared take her to task with her "issues with organizational skills." She gave a non-apology of "sorry you feel they way," and told me that the expectations I put on her of basic social etiquette were "of my own accord."

I dunno, we seemed to get along very well before that episode, so it feels shitty ending a friendship over that, but my guess is that she already got bored of me, and took this as a convenient excuse to end the friendship without taking ownership of the decision. I mean, anybody who really liked you would want to catch up such a meaningless row, rather than immediately decide that ending the friendship was the best choice.

Still hurts, though.