View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 01:33 AM   #93
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster

I’m just jotting down thoughts as I listen:
Immediately the vocals are horrid, even for Billy this is horrible.
By the third track the repeated lyric chorus is already on my nerves.
The strings are way too loud. It’s like Billy always has that one element that is just unsettlingly loud in the mix.
Aeronaut is like the prime example of all this albums flaws so far. I can see why he picked it as the lead in. It encompasses all of those Billy quirks (like the strange warble vocals, etc.) that he thinks are pleasing. It’s just so aimless, nothing interesting about it.
I just can’t shake the feeling that I am listening to demo tracks. I don’t know if its the fact that it’s just acoustic guitar/piano and strings or what.
Amarinthe is the only song so far that I’ve enjoyed.
I have the overwhelming urge to hit next at the 2/3rds point on almost every song.
During Mandarynne, that descending piano riff from :50 to :57 is definitely used in another Pumpkins track. Can anyone recall where this is used? I do like the piano throughout this one.
Archer is a pretty decent track and a great closer for the album.
It’s a much better album than Monuments to an Elegy for me. I am so thankful he has ditched the Casio circus keyboards for actual (what I’m assuming is some Kontakt libraries) good tones.
The lyrics seems to be a great improvement outside of the super repetitive choruses during more than a few tracks and a few cringe inducing lines, but that’s a Corgan charm, right?
I’d give it a 5.5/10