View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 03:36 PM   #12
Smiley

Default Re: An MP FAQ In Progress - Don't Kill Me :)

It's a really good start... but like any early version of a FAQ, it can be refined. I have some advice, and I hope you'll see this as constructive criticism... I'm sorry if I sound like a dick.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sehki
Legend has it that MP started as a small, kind of joke-gift from Billy to a select few friends and family members in 1994 (supposedly as a Christmas present).
Are we sure that it's not Christmas of '93? There's nothing on MP from '94... it's all 88-93. I'm sure this is common knowledge and i'm the only one who doesn't know...

Quote:
At some point in 1998 or 1999, Dave Asselin, one of the lucky few to receive an original,
He definitely recieved it in mid-2000.

Quote:
The Coyle Tape was an interesting little spot; it was the only publicized event of someone breaking BC’s trust (though whomever did is still unknown). As the story goes, at some point in mid-1996, Coyle got a tape with 24 random songs (in a notably randomized order) from MP.
In late 2001, Simon Coyle posted a reply in a Netphoria topic, basically telling his side of the story. I think what he said would be invaluable for this sort of FAQ... I saved the topic here.

Quote:
That quote, by the way, is thanks to the Jesse Miller FAQ (circa ’99). The next major leak occurred at some point in the late 90’s (unfortunately I don’t have a more precise date; anything more precise would be appreciated) and featured 18 songs; interestingly, all but one can be found on Coyle’s tape – the only one missing on his tape is the Kill Your Parents (disc 3 track 15) banter, although it’s easy to figure that he didn’t know it would be counted as a separate track and he could just as easily have forgotten about it. The person responsible for this leak was John Mulhausen, who posted them on his website, which were subsequently downloaded by riddler Jeroen who encoded them to MP3.
Hah... I like the "riddler" comment. Okay um... wasn't there something else on the Coyle tape that wasn't put online at first? I think it was "Let's Introduce the Band", and/or "Happy Fucking Valentines". Probably because he didn't bother with the stage banter... but "Kill Your Parents" was too priceless to leave out.

Anyway, I think you should also mention that the original format (before Jeroen converted them to mp3's) was realaudio. Oh, and your "late 90's" thing... I'd say mid-1999, because I think it was after the Arising Tour. I'm not positive though.

Quote:
The Reel Time Studios collection wormed it’s way onto the internet (purportedly from a tape(s?) of the sessions). A number of RTS songs appear on MP and the versions were considered one and the same. A couple of important shows managed to get online as well, including Oct. 5th 1988, the WZRD show, March 16th, 1989, and the Tower Records promo concert on July 26th, 1993.
Yeah, but (as Kumar Littlejeans said) the 10/5/88 show had been available for years... it wasn't anything new. And I don't think anything from it is even on MP, right? So I'm not sure why you brought it up... and the '93 show was already available too as far as I know...

Quote:
I had to remaster some songs to make them listenable (espcially my version of Tristessa… god it was horrible).
You had the MP version of Tristessa??

Quote:
III. Detailing the day of and the events leading up to December 5th, 2002.
I'm not sure if it should be focusing on one specific day... I saw it as a very gradual leaking.

Quote:
What began as a simple one-song leak turned into a watershed. “Jesus Loves His Babies,” (disc 1 track 5), a demo for Gish, went up in SHN form on the DC Hub for an extremely short period of time (reportedly with a few other songs: Moleasskiss, Wave Song, and Opal/Worship). Whomever leaked it wasn’t pointed out (although a couple people claimed responsibility). This occurred, nearest to as my dating skillz (not with girls, har har) can pinpoint, late December 2nd.
JLHB first appeared Netphoria, as a mp3, posted by a new user Jesus<3Babies, on the morning of December 2nd. All that stuff showed up on the hub a few days later.

Quote:
Disc 2 Track 12 – Fat Man Blues
Time: 03:20
Description: (live 89)
Availability: Located on the Reel Time Studios set…. See details.
Source: Studio. Not, I repeat, not live.
Detail: While listed on MP as being live from 1989, it is in fact not. It was recorded at the third RTS sessions
Yeah but um... it was recorded live in the studio!

Quote:
Disc 4 Track 07 – Siva
Time: 08:44
Description: (live 92)
Availability: Being one of their album songs, they played it live a huge number of times and is available on approximately 64 boots.
Source: Jesus only knows. They played it 30 times in 1992. A little detective work can turn up some interesting information though: It’s probably from either June 9th – 11th, August 10th, or September 6th. Why you ask? Well, I looked up this song right after I did The Joker (disc 3 track 5) and both songs were played at all 5 shows. While not that incidental, Billy probably wasn’t mixing and matching from too many 1992 shows when making Mashed Potatoes, and the recordings sound similar. So my guess is that they were from the same show…. September 6th. For more detective work, read on.
Detail: They managed to stretch it out quite nicely, and James says… hold on! I’m brilliant, damn you, brilliant I say. James says something at the end of the song, which, I originally interpreted as him asking Billy if he wanted to play Silverfuck. Upon relistening, I realized that was wrong. He was saying something in Dutch. The only show that they played Siva, The Joker, and were in the Netherlands, was September 6th. Now, while I grant that this is still highly arguable, that’s the best you’re probably going to get. I’d love it if someone who knew Dutch and had a copy of the Mashed Potatoes version of Siva listened and tried to see if it was Dutch. It would probably cement the date. (That was quite the trail… but I rule, anyhow).
I really like your detective work (I'm not being sarcastic). I can confirm that it's not from June 10th or 11th... and I have the show from the 9th sitting around somewhere, so I guess I could check that... but based on what you said, I would tend to agree that it's the Sept. 6th show.

Okay, I'm done. One last thing though... you might want to mention the 10/8/95 interview on Q101, in which Billy talked about MP and played two tracks from it on the radio (Geek USA and My Dahlia). Both of them were available online at some point (who else remembers the "My Dahlia (FM sourced)" mp3? ).