View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #145
Morlock
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Fucking disgusting how one of the biggest names in producer world does such a bad job recording the song. The song itself is average at most if you ask me but after seeing this live performance it seems you could at least make a bit more out of it. There are so many young (or old) and talented lesser known engineers and producers that could have easily made it sound so much more lively or sprawling, instead it was fucking butchered by someone who I assume was ridiculously overpaid.

Have an average song recorded and produced in a better way and it could make a lot of difference.
Is there a Rick Rubin album that sounds particularly good? Toxicity perhaps? Even some of the classics are not really classics because of the production, for example some of the RHCP albums, and even in cases where the dry production fits, there is the brickwalling (Californication). In my view a lot of his albums would sound better with a different producer. The effect is clear when bands move on from Rubin to someone else. RHCP sound better with Danger Mouse, Metallica sound better with Greg Fidelman.

From what I heard Rick Rubin is good at interacting with bands, making them feel comfortable etc.