View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #107
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
Trump was elected President and plenty of people who listen to rock music voted for him, just like plenty of them voted for Hillary, and plenty didn't vote for either or vote at all. Many artists express their political views and appear on political shows, most just happen to be Democrats. Corgan actually has expressed his political views far less than someone like Eddie Vedder, who actually does it during concerts. Corgan has never discussed politics at shows, outside of a couple of comments in 2008 about Obama and Sarah Palin. The only time he really talked in-depth about the current political climate was the 2016 Alex Jones appearance.

The way the political part of this article was put in was meant to try to take a shot at Corgan, and he probably sensed it during the interview. You are never going to get someone like Corgan to open up about other things like D'arcy if it's clear you're trying to mock him with his political views. If I was interviewing Eddie Vedder or Billy Corgan for an in-depth thing I would not pose any political subjects in a way that would deride their views.
I think he did sense it. Did you see this?https://twitter.com/joecoscarelli/st...868686848?s=21

I completely agree with you. He may have political views that are odd but he is not alt right or even a Trump supporter. He just called bullshit on the hooker story and he turned out to be right. That's the pro-Trump message everyone is latching on to. I don't see that as an endorsement. The message he was trying to communicate wasn't that Trump is great but that the media has an agenda and can't be trusted. Most of us know that. Alex Jones used to appeal to libertarians and people skeptical of the government. He built Infowars on bashing the Bush administration, the military-industrial complex, the Fed and big banks, big pharma and other interest groups that have wrested the political process from the people. He gave a voice to libertarians (and crazy conspiracy theorists) That's how I knew about him. I'm positive that's why Billy liked him. There is still a thread of that present, but overall Alex sold out to capitalize on the polarization in the current political climate. His site is clearly pro-Trump, but because of that his following has grown and he's received more coverage in the last 2.5 years than he has his whole career. You can see in Billy's appearance that he is trying to downplay the new Jones and the alt-right angle to honestly discuss things he sees as troubling. Some people take offense to the things he said because it conflicts with their views, some people are a little more shallow and have the knee-jerk reaction to the contrived headlines that followed (which was premeditated), while others hate Jones for something like the Sandy Hook conspiracy. All of which is understandable. I think where I'm going with this is I agree with you that the political angle should have been left out. It's covered ad nauseam anyway. Maybe he would have spoken more about D'arcy.