Thread: FUCK.THIS.SHIT.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp
First.
And they kind of left to find a guitar player at the very end, so you know, I don't really take it as any slight that I wasn't able to play on the record. It's flattering just to play with them period.
James Iha

But I always remember there were African Americans at my school and they got it a lot worse, for where I grew up.
James Iha

But, yeah, as far as Asian Americans go, I hope they know they can look at me and see that they can do music on their own, within a band or just on their own, and not feel like there's any barriers. I've never felt any particular barriers myself, being who I am.
James Iha

Even from a listening end now, I'm still completely a fan of music.
James Iha

I feel like I don't have to say how horrible racism is. But there are so many horrible things out there; it just blows my mind.
James Iha

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago.
James Iha

I guess in Japan I blend in more.
James Iha

I had a roommate from... a while back, who was a friend of mine from Tokyo, and I go over there every once in a while.
James Iha

I knew it would be kind of weird to make a record out of this band, for anybody to make a solo record out of this band.
James Iha

I live most of the time in New York now. I have an apartment there.
James Iha

I mean I like pop music, and I like heavy music and, stuff that I like... the band I've signed on to our label right now; they're called The Sounds. They're kind of like a new-wave pop band.
James Iha

I was starting to produce a little bit, and write for other people before I got the call to play for A Perfect Circle.
James Iha

I was with the Pumpkins for 12 years and it was kinda hard to get my material in for, you know, for whatever reasons.
James Iha

If you put all the songs together that I've written on band records, and put it up next to my solo record, there's definitely a different kind of feel than Billy's songs.
James Iha

It's hard enough to make a good song and a good recording of that song. But to try to tailor it to some outside force is just like - It's never been a factor in what I've done or what the band's done.
James Iha

It's not like that often, I mean, I suppose out of a ratio of 10 fans maybe like 1 or 2 of 'em might be Asian, and maybe every second or third time they might bring up something that they're Asian and I'm Asian.
James Iha

It's probably getting our old drummer back and actually playing as a band. And, I don't know, it sounds like what we do best right now.
James Iha

Musicians always come off sounding a little bit pretentious, and a little bit... I don't know, hypocritical, from what they do, talking about strong issues.
James Iha

No, I've heard over the years that it's nice for them to see somebody who's like, you know, a well-known successful musician who's Asian. I've heard it from a few musicians, too.
James Iha

Other kids were made fun of for being wimpy or being gay or whatever. Kids do awful things, and I always just try to put it behind me.
James Iha

So playing with A Perfect Circle is kind of a different thing. They've started as their own. It's their own band.
James Iha

So there was something of a learning curve with doing your own thing and people seeing you outside of the band. I mean, people have never really heard my voice before - or heard a whole record of mine before. So it was a completely new experience.
James Iha

The band set up in January and just started rehearsing. If there was a song, we'd just rehearse it as a band, and it would get arranged as a band, and it got changed around a lot.
James Iha

There is a lot of work just in terms of traveling and logistics and people and gear and all that kind of stuff. But I never really have problems playing music. That never seems like work.
James Iha

We have a partnership deal with New Line Records, which is part of New Line Cinema, and... I worked on that.
James Iha

We've been doing it for 10 years, so we're not about to pay attention to what's popular now to change our sound.
James Iha

Well, I always hope that I'm a role model.
James Iha

Well, I'm pretty domestic actually. I walk my dog. I go grocery shopping. I hang out with friends. I'm pretty normal, whatever normal is, on my off time.
James Iha

Well, we didn't have our original drummer on our last record. And most of that album was not played as a band in the studio. It was mostly the world of computers and overdubs. There was very few things played live or worked out as a band.
James Iha

Yeah, I'm sure there are stereotypes of Asian people.
James Iha

You can't really compare because I played with these guys for 2 months and the Pumpkins I've played with for 12 years, so I can't really compare it.
James Iha

You know, it's going to be a really long tour, and well, I guess I'll see what happens with A Perfect Circle, 'cause they do other projects too, and I don't know. I hope I can always do a lot of different things, do 'em well.
James Iha