View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #26
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

johncg seems to understand how these type of "mega-bands" work. Even if Billy, James and Jimmy split their part of the proceeds equally, which I sincerely doubt, Billy still runs the show. As the key member, he has final say in obligating the band, what to release under the band name, and approval over major artistic decisions outside the music (promotional images, artwork, etc.).

Just as an example, if Jimmy/James had some major issue with playing a certain festival or appearing on a certain show, Billy could unilaterally still obligate "Smashing Pumpkins" to play that show. Of course, Jimmy and James could say "fuck it" and bolt, but they would have no bearing on making the final decision. D'arcy, James, and Jimmy could have all voiced their disapproval of Billy continuing on with the name Smashing Pumpkins (I don't think any of them actually did so publicly), but they could not prevent Billy from doing so. It all has to do with looking at a band as a legal entity rather than an organic one (they way we like to think of them in the abstract). Bands who are considered "key members" are partners in the business that is the band, and have all the rights that confers. That being said, even though Billy remains the "key member," I know the full band does get some say on certain issues per their contract. He mentioned (possibly in that Pinfield interview, but definitely some interview around that time) that the "original 4" still have to sign off on any reissues. Of course, they would have no motivation to block those as it would just be money in their pockets.

Who gets considered a "key member"/partner varies from band to band, but as johncg said, it will almost never be every member of the band (I cannot think of any band that does this). Some bands, like Smashing Pumpkins, have all the power in one member (I believe Bon Jovi is another famous band with one decision-maker). For other bands, it will be founding members or members who most actively contribute to songwriting (for instance Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in The Rolling Stones or James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich in Metallica).

Last edited by themadcaplaughs : 06-20-2018 at 04:54 PM.