View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #177
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Spent a night getting the DLC episodes for Mass Effect 3, and then my PS3 yellow-lighted right after I started playing the damn game. Gonna be out of commission for a bit; getting it serviced later this week.

I never played any of the Mass Effect games until the Trilogy box set came out because (until recently) I didn't have a computer that was good at running games and I don't have an Xbox. I wanted to play through the whole series beginning to end, but I couldn't until the box set came out cos the first game was never released on the PS3 until then. Totally worth the wait though. I think Bioshock was the last game that I enjoyed this much.

The first game was a good blueprint, though the whole was definitely better than the sum of its parts. A slow start, cookie-cutter sidequests, driving around planets in the Mako (way to pad the game out, BioWare), a cluttered inventory system, buggy gameplay (Fun drinking game: every time the sound cuts out while you're playing ME1, take a shot), hit-and-miss shooting mechanics...I almost gave up on the game fairly early on; found myself asking "What was all the hype about?" about a quarter of the way in. I'm glad I stuck with it, though. The story really picks up after you rescue Liara, and the last third or so of the game was excellent.

ME2, aside from the godawful and boring probing planets crap, trimmed the fat and streamlined the game, making it much more enjoyable to play. Far less buggy, better voice acting, better combat, and although the core plot itself wasn't as good as the core plot of ME1, I think the characters in the ME2 were a little more interesting (I did miss Liara and Wrex, though; Lair of the Shadow Broker FTW). Loved Jack, Garrus, Mordin, and Tali.

The part in ME2 where you get Shepard drunk on the Citadel might be the first time a video game has ever made me LOL:

The little I've had a chance to play in ME3 makes me think it's gonna be better than the first two put together. And Liara's back! Yay!

Although I kinda know what happens at the end of ME3, I'm reserving judgment on the ending until I actually get a chance to play it.