View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #68
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i think the production on MCIS is the worst of all of sp's albums, save for probably Machina (both produced by Flood - fuck that douche). though i do agree with elph that it does have a cohesive feel and an atmosphere that's memorable, there's no denying that.

i just don't think billiam is the kind of singer you could get away with recording so live and so dry. sorry but it just sounds like shit on a lot of the material. imo perhaps Butch Vig's greatest strength in producing the band was getting amazing vocal takes out of Billy, and giving him that lightly doubled/chorused sound that accented his boyishness and gave the whole band a breathy shoegaze-y dimension.

also, re: MCIS, it is glaringly obvious what songs the band spent a lot of time on, and what songs were hurried and rushed. about 50-50. half the songs sound great and half the songs sound like shit, and there are some duds on the record that just should have not been there, especially considering the amount of great shit the band had lying around at that time. songs like Love, Take Me Down (sorry Jeff), We Only Come Out At Night, Beautiful, Lily. they're endearing songs for sure, but come on man. the band had songs readily available that were so much stronger.

i dunno i'm really conflicted about that record. i love it and hate it at the same time. it's definitely the pumpkins' least cohesive and eloquent statement imo, even though it does have very formidable peaks. but it was always a record i go to in order to cherry pick a song i want to hear, and not one to play from start to finish (and not only because it's a double album).
agree 1000%. I love the album but as always, a little more quality control could have made it so much better.