View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
EyesOfAJackal
Apocalyptic Poster

I don't think what Catherine is describing sounds like those physics theories. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Richard Dawkins promote some 'multiverse' theory to try and explain how all the physical constants of our universe seem fine-tuned to support human life?

Anyway, what Catherine is talking about doesn't sound like physics so much as philosophy and psychology.

Plato said that abstract "Forms" existed (maybe in heaven? or at least not on earth, somewhere that I seem to remember seemed like a 'negative universe') and that these were the perfection or ideal of various objects and concepts of which things in our tangible universe were mere (poor) reflections. For example, there was the Form of 'beauty', of which all beautiful things in our world, no matter how grand, are mere reflections of that ultimate beauty; there was a Form of 'chair', of which objects in this universe imitated, of 'humanity' or 'fellowship' and so on. I think later Christians interpreted this in light of God reflecting the Form of love and so on.