View Single Post
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #217
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Well ya insulted one of my favorites but then praised one of my other favorites, so frankly I'm torn! But really, how is "enunciation" in any way important in determining the quality/beauty of one's singing? The clarity of the lyrics, sure, but tone & technique and all that? Not to mention, Billy is fucking infamous for dropping consonants so how can you say he has no issues with that, lol
That's just my opinion, I'm not saying I can tell you what is beautiful. Billy's voice is considered by the mainstream to be annoying and whiny, so I wouldn't make the case that there's some sort of "objective beauty" to it, but I really like how he can sound affected, like in Mayonnaise, or over the top, like X.Y.U. He really knows how to use his vocal pipes to a broad effect. There again, I'd be curious to see if anyone can name another well known rock vocalist who spans the gamut to a similar degree.

Someone said to me "nobody has ever covered a Beatles song and improved upon the original", and I couldn't think of a single counter point, but when it comes to Radiohead, I think I've preferred just about ever cover to the original version. I have a feeling this could be why Radiohead is covered so often, these other musicians hear a great song and figure they could improve upon the performance aspect somehow. Conversely, I bet people hear Smashing Pumkins and probably figure Billy Corgan's renditions would be a tough act to follow.

That's one of Corgan's real talents, writing to himself. I know that I, and probably a lot of other musicians, wanted to write music like so and so, but we don't have their voice, so it never comes out right, and we never invent a style of music that plays to our own vocal strengths.

Last edited by MonumentsRocks : 10-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.