Thread: Ways to help
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #29
Alice
Minion of Satan

View this post on Instagram

PLEASE READ BEFORE MESSAGING: The 13th amendment states that slavery has been abolished in the United States “except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”. The prison system in the United States is legalized slavery. Black people were brought to this country as slaves to benefit our economy as free laborers, and under this prison system, where one in four Black men are expected to serve prison time in their lifetime, are sentenced to more time than their white counterparts who commit the exact same crime, and are incarcerated at five times the rate of white people, we are still benefitting from their free labor (aka slavery) everyday. The maximum wage one can earn while incarcerated is $1.41 an hour, and inmates are not allowed to opt out of work. The United States is Home to five percent of the world’s population, and yet holds nearly 25% of the world’s prisoners. You do the math. Thank you to @emberiswarm for the list of products! If you’re looking for more info/sources her original post is great. #blacklivesmatter #endprisonslavery . Note: while many of them are, not every product on this list is necessarily made by prisoners, but they are all made by companies who use prison labor, so in buying them, you are voting with your dollar. Boycotting these popular items will hurt the pockets of companies using legalized slavery. . .I am not an expert, I’m a designer. My goal here is to raise awareness that as consumers in a corrupt system, we need to pay attention to what we buy. If there’s a product on here you can’t live with out, you do the research. . .DON’T STOP TAKING YOUR MEDS IF YOU NEED THEM ❤️

A post shared by Sara Larsen (@sara.larsen.art) on