View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #76
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenoftheswine View Post
I can't help but feel like learning Latin is a waste of brain resources. I obviously won't tell you how to educate your children, but I'm curious to know why Latin rather than one of the many more useful languages you could have them learn instead.
Well, Latin would be in addition to other languages. I took French, Latin and German at high school. At my school, we picked up German in your second year of high school and French and Latin in the first year. It's the same at the school I would like my kids to attend.

They have to take one modern language - they can choose from Mandarin Chinese, French, Japanese and Spanish, Te Reo Maori (we're from New Zealand). Additionally, they can take Latin.

Then in their second year, they can pick up German.

My kids are 13 and nearly 10, and they already have Mandarin Chinese classes every day at their school, because we currently live in Singapore. So my elder son will either take French and Latin or Mandarin Chinese and Latin. I'm not sure whether they'll allow him to take Mandarin/Latin. My high school ran those classes at the same time, so it wasn't an option for me. That's why I picked up French instead.