View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #19
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

It's the best one since Tarantula. I guess that's something. The style is really repetitive and simple like most of the post MCIS stuff and especially the post 2007 stuff. It's better than the Monuments stuff due to Jimmy alone and better than Oceania for the same reason. I'd like to hear a Violet Rays or Tiberius kind of song with Jimmy and especially James. Along with Bleeding the Orchid those are the only 3 songs from the last 11 years I can say are good.

One thing that's really obvious now relative to the last 18 years is the stabilizing effect James has on the band. I'd be really interested in hearing what they can record together.

TBK is a dumpster fire and I don't acknowledge its existence.

A lot of specific things would need to happen to get some or even one genuinely good song/s from this iteration of the band:

1) Billy needs to not fuck up the production I. E. burying the drums in the mix, layering million Billy choirs, mixing the vocals too high, and just general overproduction and studio fucker, also choosing shitty arrangements (see Raindrops and Sunshowers vs the outtake version). Chances not high here as he's fucked basically everything after Adore in this way.

2) Let James take a stab at having some creative input. It's blatantly obvious at this point how crucial he was to the signature sound of the band, the swirling shoegaze wall of guitars with varied melodies. That has been mostly absent since 2007.

3) Actually write an interesting song consisting of more than a few chords and using the low E string as a chugging, droning bore... write some fucking melodies. Again, chances not high here... see Zeitgeist onward. Oceania was sort of a step in the right direction but suffers from lack of Jim and #1 above

Last edited by killtrocity : 08-23-2018 at 04:01 PM.