View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #34
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

I became guitar obsessed via Siamese Dream. The whole album has been tabbed correctly for the most part, and you could just plug in the big muff and play along. Besides Sweet Sweet, I think everything is in standard tuning (or drop D) except Mayonaise. It bugged me that playing it in standard, the guitar in that song does not sound right... and then I found out that Iha had a different tuning. After playing it with that it made sense and it was so satisfying to hear it that way. Brian "that tab guy" set me on a path of figuring out things correctly.

Now take Loveless, which I have taken a stab at every single song year after year. The only songs I can definitively say I can play correctly is "Sometimes" and "When You Sleep". Every other one I am in the ballpark, but its a house of mirrors with those chords/tunings. Just watch people try and cover them on youtube, people doing the power chords on Only Shallow sounding like shit. Its so hard to get right. The correct tuning is out on "To Here Knows When" but I have yet to see anyone nail it.

In summary - not being able to play Loveless songs properly on guitar keeps pulling me back.