View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #44
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

>>>

1998:

"I think that's probably one of the most misunderstood things about the Pumpkins is that it is the inner dynamic that we have that makes our music very poignant to us and people get very caught up in like 'I did this, they did that'. It's never been like that for us. It really is the chemistry between us.
The other day I was doing an interview and the guy asked me 'why is it important for James and D'Arcy to still be in the band?'. And I said 'well, every song that I've ever written that means anything to me, James and D'Arcy were in the room...so...whatever that chemistry is...whatever dynamic we have...it's a magical thing and at this point we don't even question it'. I feel very strongly that D'Arcy really is the moral conscience of the band. I mean...D'Arcy is the strongest person in the band and James is probably the most sensitive. In between the two of them there's a polar axis that goes on that levels me out and I think pulls them in and out so it's pretty amazing."

2012:

"Honestly, this is going to be a bit of a boring answer; I just like the way that it pockets into the music. I play guitar pretty much on top, and so the bass is better laconic. If the bass is too on top, like for example, Melissa Auf der Maur. When she played with us, she played very on top, and it was constantly tripping all over the fucking guitars. Itís hard to getÖ the Pumpkinsí sound. If you can bottle it, itís sort of predicated on the idea the guitars are clearly on top and ahead of the drums; the drums sit in the middle, and the bass is a little back, so it has an impact and wide-scope sound. Thatís the sound that I like to hear. Maybe it was developed through playing with DíArcy and the way she played. I got used to that feeling, and so Iíve looked for that feeling ever since. So, if I found a man who could play like that, I would have no problem putting him in there. Mark Tulin played like that."

2016:

"And speaking of those Iíve been fortunate enough to share the stage with, I see that itís Díarcy Wretzkyís birthday today: So a big and happy B-Day to her from here! Iím encouraged to hear that she is playing music once more, and writing songs. As Iíve often said, no one had better musical discernment in our band than she".

Who gives a fuck if Jack 'No Stage Presence' Bates plays better technically?