View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
???
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up Drum talk: your favourite Jimmy moments

I've been teaching myself drums for a few years so I've spent a lot of time listening very closely to Jimmy and picking apart what he's playing. Its really rewarding to be able to notice new details with each listen and understand how he creates his slick, mercurial style. What are some of your favourite Jimmy drum parts?

When I'm getting warmed up on the kit I really love playing the intros to Doomsday Clock and That's the Way. At first I disliked the disjointed feel of the DC intro and I couldn't really get the rhythm of it but once you learn a part you sometimes realize that it can feel more satisfying to play than to hear it on a record. Its the unexpectedness of every other hit that gives it its power. For example, you expect it to end with 8 snare hits but there are only six, so it catches you off guard when the beat comes in. And the TTW intro is just smooth and classy. For the longest time I didn't hear that the snare hits were actually rolls, but when you start noticing that last roll and how it pairs with the kick buildup, your realize how subtly it lifts into the beginning of the song. Coming up with a good beat is one thing, but its the hidden layer of detail that sets Jimmy apart from other drummers.