View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #91
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
my best friend is a casual fan and he loved that song when he heard it
i guess i could get why people don't get the aggressive electronic drums, and it might sound dated to them. but i absolutely love the production on that song - i think it's perfect. the pounding electronics that gel with this vague modulation track, that sounds like keyboard but is probably (james') guitar. and then you have this great guitar hook with the 'it came from your thoughts' part, and then james' little feedback/ebow squeals that serve the song so well. and billy's ADT vocals at the front. great stuff.

i really do think that Adore was the one record where James is in absolute full blow. after so many years of listening, i think i can pick out his contributions to most tracks with considerable accuracy, and his work on that record is so beautifully subtle and understated, yet it's easily responsible for a good 40% of what makes the best moments on the album work so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
i like Once Upon a Time myself... it was a favorite for a while.
i'm kinda surprised to see it's not so well liked here. it's so fucking gut wrenching and unusually straightforward/honest, coming from the master of trickery and rhymes. 'mother, i hope you know that i miss you so'. brutal