View Single Post
Old 11-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #3428
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Thor: Planet Ragna-Led Zeppelin

Immensely entertaining (this is the funniest Marvel movie ever, by a wide margin) but it felt like two movie ideas haphazardly mashed together, and one "movie" (the Planet Hulk "movie") was clearly better developed than the other. Not so much a film with a cohesive story as it was a grab bag of entertaining set pieces barely held together by a blink-and-you'll-miss-it plotline about the destruction of Asgard.

Maybe I'm too cynical, I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I was laughing my arse off throughout this movie, and I'm glad that Marvel isn't making these movies all doomy and gloomy. I just would like some story in my movie once in awhile.

Tom Hiddleston, whose Loki was once the most threatening villain in the MCU, has now been reduced to a punchline. Karl Urban and (unfortunately) Idris Elba are just kinda there, and Jeff Goldblum is at his most reliably Jeff Goldblum-y (for better or for worse) as the Grandmaster. As for Cate Blanchett's Hela, she seemed more than a little under-utilized and under-developed. The movie hypes her up as a long-lost ultimate badass but her character in the end never truly gets to shine as much as she could have, and that is a disappointment (her performance is fun and surprisingly sexy).

But let's face it, the film is undeniably a blast, it's pretty, the effects and action are cool, it's got Chris Hemsworth shirtless for the ladies and of course Hulk Smash. See this bullshit...and forget about it a week later.

B-

Last edited by Tchocky : 11-04-2017 at 10:14 PM.