View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #49
cork_soaker
full of longing

some guitar stuff extracted from that gearslutz thread, some of it repeated

Quote:
the guitar sounds were painstakingly worked on. ...as every song has only ONE take of guitar, with one sound, and one pass only. If he made a mistake, rewind, start over from the beginning.
Quote:
I am not sure if he wants me to divulge his signal path right now, but to give clue, it was pretty much made out of one device, and on occassion we threw one of his huge huge collection of vintage pedals.
Quote:
the guitar ALWAYS came last in the process, which i will go into more depth later…
Quote:
the guitar melodic line then applied would exist on the froth of the result, and being a step removed from the original composition, in that billy would compose the new part as a reaction to the interactions attained in the aforementioned process….
Quote:
The "one" piece of gear, I guess it's no big deal, as the actual guitar signal path was quite simple on the record.... Billy is used to having his amazing array of amps with controls over everything to go to different pedals/signal paths etc... decided he was going to stay with one dsp unit, and one amp (well kinda, a pair of them just for "stereo").... once in awhile we would dig into his massive boxes of pedals for a little something, but most of the sound design for the guitar was done on one box, and again, would spend a day tweaking one box on ONE sound, for ONE performance and that was it. I think I mentioned it before, but he was insistent on doing everything in one pass, no overdubs, etc... and the fact that the parts were written on the fly, over an arrangement of a song that had been written another way, etc
Quote:
...kinda like a zoom but more in the Eventide realm....
Quote:
..and if you knew the amps used…. kinda funny… think bad metal combo amps from the 80's….
(the peavey amps posted earlier in this thread)

Quote:
so those were used a lot, and the main processing (outside of the millenials, ssl, various outboard neve's and other compressor/eq's etc), were real plate verb, fairchild, the Eventide Omnipressor played a large role, especially on tracks like "All Things Change"...
unclear if he's talking about the guitar signal here, but the omnipressor is analog anyway

Last edited by cork_soaker : 11-27-2017 at 01:54 PM.