View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #206
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
just hollarin' that i agree with elph that obnoxious guitar dudes at campfires are obnoxious. it's usually the ones who think they're hot shit though, even though they suck balls.
also, redbreegull i think you just coined "guitarist's gaze"!
it's probably what i hate most about the guitar - that so many of its users are snobbish, competitive know it all's, who ironically are usually not even good musicians (even if they can "shred" or play run of the mill blues licks or whatever).
yeah the guitarist's gaze is real. I've met guitarists who claim to not know what I am talking about, but I suspect it's because they are the ones most guilty of looking on other players with scorn out of some misguided sense of competition. I think it's much nicer to play to people who just like music than to other musicians. There's way too much snobbery in terms of technique and the kind of music one plays, and guitar people tend to be such obnoxious "one-uppers"... guitar people are like an old boy's club as well. I have an ex who plays and she is pretty good, and we played together a lot as a duo when we were dating. When other musicians talked to us, they almost always addressed me directly and basically ignored her presence, and when it happens over and over and over it becomes pretty obvious that it is because she is a woman. By virtue of my sexual organs, most of these assholes saw me as the musician and her as a prop, the girl who is in the band as scenery, even though she was just as good as me. All this kind of bullshit just really puts me off of wanting to deal with other musicians. I would like to be in a band again but I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.