View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #56
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Salt Lake City, Utah - Illegal and br

Quote:
Originally posted by Corganist
1) Police dogs don't randomly attack. They go after who they're told. So I believe that for some reason the officers sent the dog after the girl. I find it unlikely that the police dog did anything other than what its handler wanted it to. I think common sense at least gives a presumption that the officer had good reason to use the dog, and wasn't just picking out random females to sic the dog on.
See, this is kinda the same thing though - you make this leap between 'the dog was set on her' and 'it was justified' by saying 'oh well, they wouldn't have done it unless it was necessary'. The question was 'is something like setting a dog on a girl and then having 3 guys kick her justified' and it really comes down to circumstance, what was actually happening at the time - and you're automatically saying 'well we should assume that it was necessary otherwise it wouldn't have happened', despite that it seems pretty extreme. If questions like this are being asked you can't fill in the blanks like that.

I know you're talking about both stages separately but ultimately it's the same thing when you're talking about justification without evidence or, worse, 'evidence' like this:

Quote:

Resisting arrest is a crime no matter if you've done anything or not. If the cops show up at my door with a warrant for murder and I fight them when they try to arrest me, I'm still on the hook for resisting arrest even if I didn't kill anybody. In our situation here, the girl apparently did not submit to authority. Whether she was doing anything wrong or not, she should have done exactly what she was told.
Do you really not see the difference between cops showing up because you've murdered someone and you deciding to fight them, and a vicious animal suddenly attacking you on a night out and you reacting with a self-preservation instinct? The whole comparison is utterly ridiculous

Quote:

Again, I highly doubt that the "attacking" dog would have even been in the picture unless there was good reason. I'd be almost certainly willing to bet that he dog was sent for her after refusal to follow police instructions. Once it had her, she should have known to not continue to try to escape.
I doubt you'd be throwing around ironic quote marks in her position