View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #135
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I think Adore might be their most unique album. I can't think of anything that came close to it, but then again it dabbled in the genre of electronic pop which I wasn't really into otherwise.

I also think that when people criticize Machina and even Zeitgeist for not reaching 90's level success, they don't acknowledge that the simple fact that we're not living in the 90's means this will never happen. Even by 2000, alt rock was pretty much out, nu metal was in. You can't come out with a disco dancer, or a hair metal rock album, and expect the same success they had in the 70's or 80's, forty years later. A lot of bands who were big over the past decades still release albums that sell a tiny fraction of what they pushed in their hayday, but they don't get called "flops", it's just quietly acknowledged that the commercial eye has turned its gaze elsewhere. Smashing Pumkin's albums are called flops because people hate Billy Corgan and won't pass up an opportunity to throw shade. They'll probably criticize his burial plot after he's dead.