Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

slunken 05-08-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4261741)
Okay so. Somewhere in the middle of the movie it goes from seemingly bad to fucking awesomely surreal and... something. I can't put my finger on it and to try to explain more would ruin the movie.

I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling a 20 year old movie

slunken 05-08-2016 09:12 PM

Also it's not a good idea to have sex with a Jim Carrey movie playing in the background. Mixed signals to the brain.

reprise85 05-08-2016 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4261742)
I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling a 20 year old movie

Well they specifically said they haven't seen it.

Cool As Ice Cream 05-09-2016 03:42 AM

TWAS DE MANKEN lol

Oklahoma Sexual 05-09-2016 03:58 AM

solid 8.5

teh b0lly!!1 05-09-2016 04:44 AM

I WATCHED A MOVIE AND I DIDMN'T LIKE IT VERY MUCH B+

Cool As Ice Cream 05-09-2016 05:13 AM

i watched salience of teh lams
i fell asleep but it was because i was tried

Disco King 05-10-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4261741)
Okay so. Somewhere in the middle of the movie it goes from seemingly bad to fucking awesomely surreal and... something. I can't put my finger on it and to try to explain more would ruin the movie. But I can say at first it just seems like bad acting from Jim Carrey but persevere to find the greatness. It needs a big set up.

Also holla at Bob Odenkirk with a cameo near the end. And a bunch of other ppl have them too.

This is a great movie in a shitty movie's disguise, for real. At least the first 30 minutes. It's actually unique but I think some people won't get it or will think it's stupid. But I like it. It's definitely misunderstood and when I first saw it in the movie theater I was way too young to get it.

Sounds cool, I'll try to see it maybe within the week. It's probably on Netflix or something.

Disco King 05-10-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream (Post 4261791)
i watched salience of teh lams
i fell asleep but it was because i was tried

It's been forever since I've seen it, so I don't remember how it went, but I remember liking it.

Cool story: Gillian Anderson was at one point favoured to play the main character, but she couldn't because her X-Files contract prohibited her from playing other FBI agents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4261716)
I just think he's always Jim Carrey - he can't actually act. So as a person he has a full palette of emotions but he's not even vulnerable enough to use those, so he plays numbness well, and angst, but heartbreak for instance, he snaps right back into a kind of caricature. The scene where he's under the kitchen table is painful, for instance. Not that Kate Winslet helps at all. Even in the opening scenes, I don't think he captured very well the character that was written into the script.

I'm really starting to despise actors.

I remember when I was in high school theatre class, I also wasn't comfortable just letting myself be in a role and be authentic about it, so I'd pretty much play the same character in any skit we made.

But the world had the good sense not to let me get rich off of that. Jim Carrey slipped through the cracks.

LaBelle 05-13-2016 10:17 AM

The Lords of Salem - 2/5

There's some cool visual moments but the story and acting is so godawful the film turns into a big bore.

toase 05-13-2016 11:48 PM

Pixels
I'm still asking myself why I've watched that movie

vixnix 05-13-2016 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4262111)
It's been forever since I've seen it, so I don't remember how it went, but I remember liking it.

Cool story: Gillian Anderson was at one point favoured to play the main character, but she couldn't because her X-Files contract prohibited her from playing other FBI agents.

I remember when I was in high school theatre class, I also wasn't comfortable just letting myself be in a role and be authentic about it, so I'd pretty much play the same character in any skit we made.

But the world had the good sense not to let me get rich off of that. Jim Carrey slipped through the cracks.

Yeah, I think he suited Ace Ventura well, and I stand by his performance in that movie and the movie itself. An enduring classic. But unfortunately, Ace Ventura doesn't belong in a lot of movies, even if he is slowly getting older and more depressed in every new ones.

Also, Silence of the Lambs is 1991, and X-files is 1993??

Disco King 05-14-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4262553)
Also, Silence of the Lambs is 1991, and X-files is 1993??

I just Googled it, and it turns out it was in Hannibal that Anderson was in talks to play Agent Starling, because Foster wasn't reprising her role.

Just realized that I've never seen that movie, or any movie other than Lambs in the Hannibal Lector series.

Like, what's even up with the films? Looks like the first film is an adaptation of the first book (but with a different name for some reason), and the second film is an adaptation of the second book, but it doesn't share any of the cast and crew. Does that make the second one a sequel or just an adaptation of a sequel unconnected to the first film?

Disco King 05-14-2016 06:45 AM

Got around to seeing Interstellar. Really enjoyed it.

The fact that it didn't "look like" a Nolan movie made me realize how much influence a cinematographer has on the final product. I believe this is one of the few films where Nolan didn't work with Pfister. Not being a film guy, I usually only notice the names of the director and maybe screenwriter, and don't really think about the cinematographer. But the shots in this looked more... impressionistic, and less naturalistic, than what I'm used to seeing from Nolan. Like, right at the beginning, the close-up shots of the dust falling in sheets (foreshadowing the morse code).

Even the score was pretty different from traditional Zimmer stuff. None of the heavy, tribal percussion. Less strings and more woodwinds, everything sorta sounded like that Peer Gynt "Morning" piece.

The film shared something in common with another sci-fi film I like a lot (Primer), in that it includes a lot of scientific plausibility, but it's never an exercise in technical accuracy, and only uses these concepts in the service of a very human and emotional story. It treats a lot of relativistic concepts with more fidelity than the standard sci-fi film, but allows straight-up non-scientific fantasy when the character and thematic arcs call for it. It's smart, but not slavish at the expense of the story.

Some of the shit just made me scratch my head, though. Like, when the dust spells out the coordinates in Morse-code, and the characters are like, "it's a gravitational anomaly." Like, wtf does that have to do with gravity. Why do they think this. They don't even really try to explain. He's just like, "gravity, don't have to explain shit." I mean, the climax was also fantastical, but it was easier to accept, because there seemed to be an intuitive story reason for why it'd be that way, and the set up kind of earns the ability to inject the fantasy at that point. But at the beginning, there isn't much justification for the "gravitational anomaly" thing.

redbreegull 05-14-2016 11:29 AM

The Babadook – C

I had heard this is terrifying and was thoroughly disappointed in that regard. Spoilers beyond this point. It's more like a psychological thriller than a horror film and once they start showing the monster it's a lot less frightening. I think the Jack the Ripper aesthetic would have been more frightening if they only ever showed the thing's clothing. The creepiest moment was when the mom goes to the police and the Babadook's coat and hat are hanging up in the station. I have no idea wtf happened at the end of this movie either. The monster was defeated by being stood up to? And now it's their pet? What was the connection to her dead husband? Anyway it was entertaining enough but I wouldn't exactly recommend it. I wanted the movie to be like this

but it left me feeling more like this

Elphenor 05-14-2016 11:54 AM

lol

You totally missed the point thats why you didn't like it

It's one of those movies, just google "Babadook meaning"

As a straight forward horror movie it's just okay, but when you understand the symbolism it's very good

Disco King 05-14-2016 05:15 PM

re: Interstellar (I know I'm like two years two late for anybody to care about this anymore but I'm trying to catch up on movies because I never watch them)

Though I liked it, I guess one of the issues I had with it has this sort of 20th-century-modernist anthropocentric idea that the environment is just sort of ours to fuck up, and when we completely destroy it, we can just expand and move somewhere else. Like, I didn't have any problem with characters having this mentality, because it certainly fit Cooper's character. My only problem was that the mentality was never challenged by anything in the script, and it's just taken as a given. Like, Cooper mentions that we're supposed to be "explorers, not caretakers," and no one in the movie ever really says, "no, we were supposed to take care of this, but we failed; maybe we deserve this." I kind of wish they touched on more themes of stewardship and responsibility and human chauvinism. I of course can't say I even have any idea whether humanity will ever habitate anything other than Earth, but I kind of agree with Bill Nye when he says that we shouldn't bet on it, and should focus about taking care of the planet we do have. I wanted something in the script to reflect upon that.

The whole Plan B thing about starting a colony of humans from frozen eggs... why would Michael Caine's character actually care about doing that? He explains how he had to lie to the entire crew in order to get them to work for the good of the species, because empathy would only extend to people they are connected to. But the case is never made for why Caine thinks humans are so special that the universe needs more of them and it would be a travesty if some weren't being gestated on some planet after we all die. The whole "empathy for those we know vs. the good of future hypothetical people" would make more intuitive sense if we were talking about, say, the comfort of the current generation and the quality of life of our descendants. But the quality of life of descendants seems to be more rational to care about than ensuring that some humans, somewhere, will exist. The could had spent more time with Caine's character so we'd understand why this is so important to him.

freshfacedyouth 05-14-2016 06:05 PM

civil war: A- or B+

finally got around to seeing it last night. one of the best mcu films, great from start to finish, although one character took some very questionable actions in the third act of the film and the shaky cam in the first action sequence was dizzying. definitely more of a sequel to winter soldier (which i liked) than a sequel to age of ultron (which i disliked.) every charcter got their share of screentime and almost nothing about the plot felt convoluted or contrived, save for the events of the third act i just referenced. i particularly adored the new spider-man. this is how i've always wanted to see him on film, and i hope to see them continue in this direction for homecoming. him and ant-man were the best parts of the airport battle, easily. #teamcap

freshfacedyouth 05-14-2016 06:07 PM

the bad taste left in my mouth from batman v superman was washed out but then i remembered x-men apocalypse is coming out in a few weeks and that that's gonna bring the bad taste back.

redbreegull 05-14-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4262600)
lol

You totally missed the point thats why you didn't like it

It's one of those movies, just google "Babadook meaning"

As a straight forward horror movie it's just okay, but when you understand the symbolism it's very good

I guess when I said I didn't get the ending I meant something closer to, "if it's this simple it's p. dumb", but let me guess:

mom writes children's books so probably created the book herself. It and the monster are a representation of her dark mirror self (hence the connection to the husband because she can't get over his death and secretly wishes the kid was dead instead of him). The more you deny your shadow self, the stronger it grows, and this what the words in the book meant about denying the Babadook and it feeding off that. Instead of facing her husband's death and her psycho son's issues head on, she redirects and sublimates everything which over time makes her crazy. When she finally accepts the creature is real and inside the house/herself, she can finally confront it and tame it. The kid said you can't get rid of the Babadook. It can't be killed because our trauma and our shadow selves are always with us though we have to learn to mitigate them, which is why it now lives in the basement and mom has to go contend with it every day to reassert the control of her light self.

I'm not really into horror movies usually so I'm not of the this movie sucks b/c there is no gore/shit jumping out of the dark at you. I thought it was quite tense and frightening at the beginning, but the more they showed the cheesy monster IRL the less scary it became. It looks like a Tim Burton character. I didn't think the movie sucked, I just think it wasn't super effective at doing what it wanted to do.

Elphenor 05-14-2016 06:26 PM

Idk what you wrote above gave the impression you didn't get any of that

Elphenor 05-14-2016 06:26 PM

"What is the connection to her dead husband"

Disco King 05-14-2016 06:51 PM

One more thing that bothered me about Interstellar

At the end, the space-station orbiting Saturn is named the "Cooper Space Station," and Cooper thinks it's named after him, but it's actually named after his daughter, Murphy. This indicates that their family name is Cooper, and that we never learnt the first name of McConaughey's character.

But earlier in the film, we saw that Cooper's son wanted to name his own first child Cooper, after his father, and eventually named his second child Cooper. At this point of the film, we just assumed Cooper was McConaughey's character's given name, and it would make sense that his son would give his child the same name.

So, if Cooper is actually a last name, Cooper's grandson was named "Cooper Cooper." What the fuck is this.

Still a great movie, though.

redbreegull 05-14-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4262720)
Idk what you wrote above gave the impression you didn't get any of that

I know I was being dumb. If that's what I'm supposed to take from this movie though, it really is incredibly simple, like it was written by someone who just heard about Carl Jung last week.

but a friend kept telling me about how "terrifying" it was, and it was listed under horror on xfinity, so that did color my expectations when it turned out to be an average psychological thriller

Elphenor 05-14-2016 11:44 PM

well I mean all movies are pretty shit

It's movies not that serious

Run To Me 05-15-2016 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4262746)

^

/thread

Hehe

redbreegull 05-15-2016 02:38 AM

Quote:

I like teh star wars

vixnix 05-15-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Oh you're calling Kubrick pretty shit now huh

LaBelle 05-15-2016 08:40 AM

The Final Girls - 4/5

This movie was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Good hommage to 80s slasher films.

TuralyonW3 05-15-2016 10:38 AM

^ yea pretty entertaining