Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

slunken 02-25-2015 06:31 PM

oh okay - kind of like elphenor then

slunken 02-25-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4159469)
why are you touchy about being called a HIPSTER? UH? Sounds like a typical hipster reaction.

i wasn't addressing that at all. i had just never heard of the director until recently so i was curious about someone who already had an opinion on them

Rider 02-25-2015 06:32 PM

I watched Toad Road last night. I enjoyed it. Not sure if I can recommend it though. It's a really slow burn indie horror/thriller. Normally I would hate this type of film but this one worked for me for some reason.

slunken 02-25-2015 06:32 PM

i love hitchcock by the way - my mom raised me on classic horror/thriller movies

pavementtune 02-25-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4159473)
oh okay - kind of like elphenor then

same direction, but much worse. hard to believe, I know.

slunken 02-25-2015 06:40 PM

i don't want to seem like i'm deflecting attention away from myself by picking on him btw - it was just a silly joke

LaBelle 02-25-2015 06:44 PM

I am a film major, my class was rotten with film hipsters.

slunken 02-25-2015 06:45 PM

the only film class i took in college was african american film studies. we watched amiri baraka footage and american history x. for the last one i was like "really"?

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 06:57 PM

IT IS SUCHA BLD THOUGHT CHALLE#NGING FILM MAN BECAUSE RACISM

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 06:57 PM

i was gonna correct my typoes but then figured it was better this way

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 06:58 PM

Oh wait you said it was african american film studies. Which is still weird though because tis not a african american director..... its a stupid sensationalist film about racism. and as far as i remember the cast is mainly white

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:10 PM

I would love those people, I am one of those people

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4159473)
oh okay - kind of like elphenor then

Oh wait, didn't refresh the page to see it was already covered

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4159480)
I am a film major, my class was rotten with film hipsters.

I was once on a hipster music forum, this one guy would find any opportunity to talk about movies and i mean any and he would launch into these super long college type essays about them when nobody had even asked and every film he mentioned he would put the year of release in between parentheses. Mainly because he really wanted to let us know he rarely watched any post 1970 films. Oh wow, you're so special and unique, we are such plebes, pre 80s oh my god what is that? Black and white? eww.... What is this you say? nouvelle vague? film noir? wow that sounds so sophisticated, i never heard of these terms and have never watched any such film in my life! you are so special, please educate me more you know SO much....

That's hipsters, oh i have non mainstream tastes and i am so unique! No there's million of people like you. they just don't all make a thing of it and think it makes them more interesting or think it defines their identity

slunken 02-25-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4159489)
Oh wait, didn't refresh the page to see it was already covered


lol wow i even tried to stand up for you

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:16 PM

Chances are that guy knows a fuckton more about the art of cinema than you and is really passionate about it.

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:17 PM

Why is that such a bad thing

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4159492)
Chances are that guy knows a fuckton more about the art of cinema than you and is really passionate about it.

First of all, i don't know thatt he did and that's part of the problem. Most people on there weren't exactly ignorant about films so the implication that he was all so much more knowledgeable and unique for his tastes than anyone else was insulting.

To be honest for a second there but for the grace of whatever it could have been me. I could have been that guy. I saw myself heading down that road. I do watch shitloads fo films yearly, the only channels i subscribe to on cable are all movie channels pretty much (which actually kinda suck cause they overall show a library of maybe 400 films voer and over aside from some like TCM i guess but they repeat their library eventually too) and i really dug deep. I have like 5000 pirated films burned on dvds and would have lots more if i hadn't stopped myself many years ago.. I was that fucking guy. But i never interjected into every fucking conversation (that was often not AT ALL about movies) to let everyone know how much i KNOW about this or that film and directors and genres and what fucking not. That's people in need of attention. He wanted the validation of eveyrone else for his interests and his tastes. His only point was to wow us with his knowledge and insight. Its was purely narcissistic, not interested in exchange really except maybe to "one up" people. It was the very worst in hipster mindset.

I mean how can you not see people like this are annoying as fuck?

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:42 PM

I know a lot of film buffs, maybe not to that degree though.

I've never found it particularly annoying.

It's their art you know? To them this is modern Shakespeare this is something that has the potential change lives and they don't want to see it squandered

Elphenor 02-25-2015 07:46 PM

How many dudes do you know who ALWAYS have an opinion about whatever Sports

Mooney 02-25-2015 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4159485)
Oh wait you said it was african american film studies. Which is still weird though because tis not a african american director..... its a stupid sensationalist film about racism. and as far as i remember the cast is mainly white

i agree. they really should have cast more black people as white supremacists for this film.

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 07:55 PM

Of course not i'm just saying it is kinda weird to show it in african american film studies. The film is about racism, ok. But how is it in any way much of an african american film? Is it important for african americans even? Doubt it... it's more for white people. Oh look guys, we shoulnt be this way cause it's stupid and ignorant.

Mainly, it's not a good film. Just don't show it anywhere.

LaBelle 02-25-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The exploding boy (Post 4159490)
I was once on a hipster music forum, this one guy would find any opportunity to talk about movies and i mean any and he would launch into these super long college type essays about them when nobody had even asked and every film he mentioned he would put the year of release in between parentheses. Mainly because he really wanted to let us know he rarely watched any post 1970 films. Oh wow, you're so special and unique, we are such plebes, pre 80s oh my god what is that? Black and white? eww.... What is this you say? nouvelle vague? film noir? wow that sounds so sophisticated, i never heard of these terms and have never watched any such film in my life! you are so special, please educate me more you know SO much....

That's hipsters, oh i have non mainstream tastes and i am so unique! No there's million of people like you. they just don't all make a thing of it and think it makes them more interesting or think it defines their identity

Hipsters can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and that would be too mainstream.

LaBelle 02-25-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4159502)
I know a lot of film buffs, maybe not to that degree though.

I've never found it particularly annoying.

It's their art you know? To them this is modern Shakespeare this is something that has the potential change lives and they don't want to see it squandered

It's because hipsters actively seek out the most annoying and dickish way of presenting their superiority through knowledge.

The exploding boy 02-25-2015 08:21 PM

Trust me elph if you butt into conversations irl to try to tell everyone about post punk, these people hate you.

Trotskilicious 02-25-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4159492)
Chances are that guy knows a fuckton more about the art of cinema than you and is really passionate about it.

probably not. he seems to have an arbitrary cut off point abd skips like forty years of films so his knowledge is limited at best. sounds like a fuzzyroses kinda guy really

thats a boring pretentious person with little knowledge. it would be like some guy trying to talk to me abt basketball even tho they havent watched nba since jordan

Trotskilicious 02-25-2015 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4159508)
Hipsters can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and that would be too mainstream.

this is nonsense

Trotskilicious 02-25-2015 08:42 PM

if that were true then the word doesnt mean anything

i think it should mean pretentious grown up suburban youth living in the city and humping style and cultural trends just as they break the surface tension of the underground. they are invariably shallow ppl with little in the way of cultural appreciation and place far too much importance on what stuff you like and what that says abt ur person

sound like someone in this thread ?

LaBelle 02-25-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4159522)
this is nonsense

I know, it was a joke

pavementtune 02-25-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4159413)
you should try watching the babadook

:D

I kinda want that pop-up book now.




good recommendation, enjoyed it. entirely watchable, the two of them freaking out had some tranfixing moments. and the kid boy is just impressive.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright 1998-2014