Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SOSB Volume 2 (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187254)

T&T 03-26-2019 06:57 AM

that grudge must be 30 years old. I don't ever expect an Albini/Corgan team up in any lifetime.

Forgotten Child 03-26-2019 08:12 AM

Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.

NovaFritz 03-26-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4504070)
Billy's gotta family and shit now. Still seems weird. I always figured that the old bastard would die alone.

not to spoil his life, but i don't think having children guarantees you won't die alone
bill has years of mental trauma to inflict on them

ninsp 03-26-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten Child (Post 4504103)
Funny but I think Billy doesn't hold any grudge. He actually praised Albino on his Instagram q&a the other day.

Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)

Teaming up with him would be too smart for Corgan

incubator 03-26-2019 12:56 PM

Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.

Mals Marola 03-26-2019 01:08 PM

Bill would probably have too much of a chip on his shoulder for whatever reason to work with Albini - we're probably more likely to get a collab with Malkmus or something

Honestly they should just self-produce the next thing. As much as one can complain that Machina II wasn't the greatest-sounding record, it was a hell of a lot more exciting to listen to than Shiny & O So Trite

myosis 03-26-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubator (Post 4504107)
Albini isn’t really a “producer” producer. I think he even describes himself as a “recorder” or some shit. Dunno if that would be good for Billy and Friends or not.

he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.

ninsp 03-26-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incubator (Post 4504107)

Well yeah, I know, my point is that he’d give the band some live grit on record which is what they need.

fluxequalsrad 03-26-2019 01:58 PM

Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together. Billy also can't write songs anymore so there is that.

Mals Marola 03-26-2019 02:22 PM

Where's that gone down? Worst I've seen from him re: the Pumpkins was that SD wasn't his "cup of tea"

In terms of Billy I only ever saw the thing where he called him something along the lines of perfectly amicable

myosis 03-26-2019 02:54 PM

"If somebody wants to work with me I'll usually try to do it. I don't have the luxury of turning down work for petty reasons."

topleybird 03-26-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 4504112)
Albini despises the smashing pumpkins and went out of his way to mock them on multiple occasions. He hates Siamese Dream. There is no way in hell they will ever work together.

I think this covers most people here

emilem 03-26-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myosis (Post 4504109)
he is a recording engineer, but he is ready to work with anyone who genuinely wants to work with him, and try to get the most accurate sound that is representative of the band.

he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.

incubator 03-26-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilem (Post 4504123)
he's a producer with a 'i'm not really a producer' gimmick. bob weston is the true engineer. and yeah people say albinie tries to make the band sound most accurate to their live sound, but every band on the planet must really sound alike because you can tell an albini production effort form a mile away. i love steve but he's always bullshitting his way out of admiting he's a bit of a one trick pony. the big drums dry guitars recorded live because he'd rather be somewhere else playing poker kinda guy.

Sounds like Rick Rubin. Big drums would be great tho

eviltimeban 03-27-2019 05:55 AM

While I love the Albini sound (Rid Of Me in particular), it wouldn't work for the Pumpkins. SP aren't a "live in the room sound" kind of band. They are a "each part has to be perfect and tweaked to the nth degree" kind of band. At least, they used to be.

SD was a studio album, not a live album. Gish and MCIS were more live sounding, but SD is where the real fire is. Adore again was a studio album. Machina was sort of a cross between the two.

The conclusion? SP are / should be a studio band.

Forgotten Child 03-27-2019 06:19 AM

I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?

smashingjj 03-27-2019 08:26 AM

SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninsp (Post 4504106)
Albini is good at polishing a turd (see Razorblade Suitcase)

lol

FoolofaTook 03-27-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten Child (Post 4504188)
I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

Mals Marola 03-27-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4504191)
SP fans on Albini: an exercise in stupidity

Many uninformed takes in this thread, but this one takes the cake for dumbest post I've read in a long time:

lol

yeah i was gonna respond to that but ultimately opted out. in short: "polishing a turd" is pretty much the polar opposite of what Albini does

if anything he would simply "present the turd" in its best possible lighting

smashingjj 03-27-2019 02:09 PM

exactly. if you play shitty or your amps/instruments sound don't sound great, you're gonna hear exactly that.

FoolofaTook 03-27-2019 02:43 PM

What say you to that, NINSP?

Forgotten Child 03-27-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4504193)

I had the chance to talk to s few people after the gig and they did exactly the same "it sounded like the album, but something was missing". I stopped listening to Radiohead back then.

Mals Marola 03-27-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4504233)
What say you to that, NINSP?

i believe he's off re-evaluating the genius of BUSH

VoxUpDoc 04-02-2019 07:13 AM

Hey.

Aside from Knights, Shiny Vol.1 is pretty good, guys. It just came on my playlist and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

If we can praise TFE then I’m not embarrassed to admit I’m hyped for Vol.2.

FoolofaTook 04-02-2019 07:56 AM

:erm:

eviltimeban 04-02-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten Child (Post 4504188)
I totally disagree. One thing that made me a fan was how the was able to understand the differences between live and studio performances. I saw Radiohead in the in rainbows tour and even tho the band performed well, I wasn't very impressed. It was technically good, but I didn't feel like I they were challenging themselves as a live band.

You hear Adore and then you see the band playing the same songs live with totally different arrangements and it blows you away. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I kinda like that, it feels (or use to) like they were always on the edge.

How many alternative live versions of Rocket we've got? It even disarm, muzzle etc?

None of that disproves my point that the best SP work is on record and not on stage. They were never a great live band, even back in the day. Maybe in the Gish era but SD on record blows any live SD performances out of the window. It's a different league.

Same with Adore. You can't get the intimacy of that record across in a live setting. Especially when you have two drummers and keyboard players and the like.

Forgotten Child 04-02-2019 04:36 PM

I am not sure of that either. I love some live performances more than the studio versions, from Gish to now. In fact, a few live shows made me like songs I didn't like the studio version.

FoolofaTook 04-02-2019 04:51 PM

You got something to say to that, eviltimeban?

Mals Marola 04-02-2019 05:15 PM

i don't understand how anyone could think MCIS-era SP was "not a great live band"

or the subsequent two eras for that matter

SD-era I guess I can get finding the live sound too "jarring" in comparison to the record but even so I think it's great. The way the Gish songs were so super-charged and whatnot (well, aside from say Rhinoceros) was awesome as well

FoolofaTook 04-02-2019 05:20 PM

he's either trolling or untr00. either way he should be banned, which would be irony, given his "name".