Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   NETPHORIA RESET THREAD (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185744)

FlamingGlobes 11-26-2017 04:02 PM

NETPHORIA RESET THREAD

itt we start over

FoolofaTook 11-26-2017 04:08 PM

I'd like to reset YOU'RE FACE

FoolofaTook 11-26-2017 04:08 PM

Vavoom!!

FlamingGlobes 11-26-2017 04:09 PM

https://i.imgur.com/DYjHzbs.jpg

FoolofaTook 11-26-2017 04:10 PM

I CAN'T SEE PICTURES OR PLAY VIDS

ilikeplanets 11-26-2017 04:18 PM

impossibru

FlamingGlobes 11-26-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4397760)
I CAN'T SEE PICTURES OR PLAY VIDS

Sounds like you need a reset, maaannn.

ilikeplanets 11-26-2017 04:21 PM

or a real phone. then again i do, too. my gubbment phone sux

FlamingGlobes 11-26-2017 04:25 PM

Thanks, Obama.

teh b0lly!!1 11-26-2017 09:56 PM

i'm rolling again
and it feels the same

buzzard 11-26-2017 10:17 PM

Rollin' Again Global Open Mic Night Tour 2017

FoolofaTook 11-26-2017 11:06 PM

My Netphoria, my Netphoria
Even I'll adore you, my Netphoria
Even I'll adore you, my Netphoria

Shallowed 11-26-2017 11:45 PM

Like Lieutenant Dan, I'm rolling

slunken 11-26-2017 11:54 PM

buzzard 11-27-2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shallowed (Post 4397854)
Like Lieutenant Dan, I'm rolling

https://i.imgur.com/oGUljpe.jpg

toase 11-27-2017 12:46 AM

Honor
Gratitude
Rock & Roll

buzzard 11-27-2017 12:51 AM

He also started The George Milton Band, but nobody really went for the Agriculture. Euthanasia. Rock & Roll. tagline.

vixnix 11-27-2017 12:59 AM

I have a recommendation for Thread Theme Tune

vixnix 11-27-2017 01:01 AM

y'all are very welcome

vixnix 11-27-2017 01:32 AM

Her English pronunciation is just impeccable

I have always wondered if English speakers write entire albums in second languages, and if so, if the same effect occurs...where the lack of vocabulary and linguistic ambition produces lyrics that are striking because of their economy and simplicity, which are exquisitely pronounced by the lead singer because they're over compensating in a way. I find it all quite irresistible

Nina Perrson is pretty special, even considered within that narrowed field of vocalists. She just has something that just gets at me.

I remember listening to Celia Inside for the first time and almost passing out.

teh b0lly!!1 11-27-2017 03:05 AM

Quote:

I have always wondered if English speakers write entire albums in second languages, and if so, if the same effect occurs...where the lack of vocabulary and linguistic ambition produces lyrics that are striking because of their economy and simplicity, which are exquisitely pronounced by the lead singer because they're over compensating in a way. I find it all quite irresistible
SO THAT'S WHY MY LYRICS SUCK?

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME

teh b0lly!!1 11-27-2017 03:06 AM

Quote:

I DON'T WANNA FIGHT
EVERY SINGLE NIGHT

teh b0lly!!1 11-27-2017 03:15 AM

i remember this self-proclaimed "brainy" guy i was sorta friends with in highschool, he was in a neoclassical metal band (lol in and of itself), and he'd sit down and try to write lyrics for his band with the dictionary literally open before him. he'd look for the most obscure, obsolete words, words like "polymorphously" or "castigation", and then try to rhyme them, haha. and then in between all those random ten dollar words you'd have lines about slitting throats or hearing the devil call, it was the biggest fucking lol to me even back then.

toase 11-27-2017 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4397878)
i remember this self-proclaimed "brainy" guy i was sorta friends with in highschool, he was in a neoclassical metal band (lol in and of itself), and he'd sit down and try to write lyrics for his band with the dictionary literally open before him. he'd look for the most obscure, obsolete words, words like "polymorphously" or "castigation", and then try to rhyme them, haha. and then in between all those random ten dollar words you'd have lines about slitting throats or hearing the devil call, it was the biggest fucking lol to me even back then.

what was band name? blinking with fists?

vixnix 11-27-2017 04:55 AM

Yeah because I think if you're writing in your native tongue you feel like it's not 'enough' to write as you would speak, and a lot teenagers look in all the wrong places to make their lyrics something 'more' than their ordinary speech, and turn to a thesaurus or dictionary.

I'm not talking about shitty "I don't wanna fight/every single night" lyrics, but ones that have been crafted and carefully chosen, and edited and tested and agonised over.

Like beautiful examples of English lyrics written by native English speakers would be

Quote:

I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
Or

Quote:

I saw a life and I called it mine
I saw it drawn so sweet and fine
And I had begun to fill in all the lines
Right down to what we'd name her

Our nature does not change by will
In the winter 'round the ruined mill
The creek is lying flat and still
It is water though it's frozen
I feel like a non-native speaker can't lean on the nuances and quirks of English when writing lyrics. So then it becomes more about just taking their ideas and expressing them simply, but in a way that an English-speaker would struggle to replicate

Quote:

We could nick a boat
And sneak off to this island
I could bring my little ghettoblaster
There's more to life than this
But we'd have to rush back
To the town's best baker
To get the first bread of the morning
Most native English speakers would struggle to write this - the connections she makes between phrases just wouldn't occur to an English speaker in my opinion. Bringing a ghettoblaster and nicking a boat would never be matched with getting the first bread of the morning. There's a particular blend of ideas that non-English speakers bring to the English language - my feeling is that the stories, conversations, song lyrics, poetry than a native-speaker grows up hearing and learning, would mean that a simple verse like this would be mangled in the hands of a native English speaker.

We could take a boat
And steal away to the island
I could bring my music
But we'd have to be back quickly
The find the town's best baker
And take the first bread of the morning
there's more to life than this.

Which is really lame and leaves the audience wondering "Why do they have to get the bread?"

Words like nick and ghetto blaster really make that verse but it would be unusually for a native speaker to use them - even though a non-native speaker most likely has a smaller vocabulary, the lack of associations they have with English words might mean they have fewer inhibitions when they write, which produces much more interesting lyrics.

And like this

Quote:

I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play
If a native-English speaker played this as an original at an open mic night, I don't think people could stop themselves from bursting out laughing at the like "No more ace to play" - partly because it's broken English, and partly because comparing love to cards is dodgy at the best of times.

Quote:

If we played even
I'd be your queen
But someone was cheatin'
And it wasn't me
I played on the table
You held something back
If love is aces, gimme the jack
This verse is at face value, less comical, but it's also a lot less mature than the themes in the ABBA song. In that short stanza they communicate far more than "You wronged me, now I don't want to love anymore" like the McKee song (which I also love). They manage to convey the heartbreak of an adult relationship breaking down without real fault on either side, the time where you realise everything has played out and there's nothing left keeping you together.

Like,

Quote:

Nothing more to say
No more ace to play
Is comical to English ears...but actually it's devastating. I tear up at that line, when I think about the breakups in my life. There was no more ace to play...like, that is so grown up and bleak and painful.

And yet a little Singlish too, like "Oh, sorry, cannot. Ace no have, lah. "

It's like, both. Magical.

I just wonder if the same thing happens in reverse, when like English speakers try to write in German or Hebrew or whatever.

LaBelle 11-27-2017 06:31 AM

Hey hi, i'm new here.

pavementtune 11-27-2017 10:09 AM

hello and goodbye then, how about you shut up and fuck off, in that order

(channelling my inner trots, did someone say reset?)

shallowed, does my memory trick me or did you introduce the year of LOVE on netpho a few years back. what was it exactly, not just "love" it had something else. love regime, nope, love god dammit. lovephoria? nope. if we all work together...we will ruin that for sure!

LaBelle 11-27-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4397938)
hello and goodbye then, how about you shut up and fuck off, in that order

i'm the hard left voice of reason & white hat troll on my good days and a dismal cloud of depressed hairtrigger rage on my bad ones

reprise85 11-27-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4397855)

very surprised to see that i dont remember this song at all except the main hook

FoolofaTook 11-27-2017 05:55 PM

Vixnix your location is beautiful: it brings a tear to my eyes.