Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   new weezer Pork And Beans (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=158727)

Eulogy 06-05-2008 12:59 PM

Pinkerton isn't even that great. Across the Sea, Getchoo, and The Good Life are pretty awesome. but nothing spectacular, really. i don't usually "get over" bands. but i feel like i'm over Weezer. not in the way that my tastes are too good for Weezer. just that i can't get into any of it anymore.

and Island in the Sun and Beverly Hills being two of the worst songs of all time puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth too.

dishpan 06-05-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeuce (Post 3266585)
well than that reup in my above post should help you out.

the other b-sides are on vinyl and don't come out until the 23rd.

got it, thanks!
d

dishpan 06-05-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeuce (Post 3264370)
Thought I Knew: Brian sings the whole song
Cold Dark World: Scott sings the whole song except for the chorus, which is Rivers

i listened to the album before i read that and i couldve sworn it sounded like the opposite. thought i knew is rather raspy sounding and what i imagined scotts voice to be like. the music and lyrics is better on cold dark world so i was attributing that to brians skills.

either way i dont really like any of the non-rivers songs yet. but thanks for the info of whos on what!
d

dishpan 06-05-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3266593)
Beverly Hills being one of the worst songs of all time puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth too.

true dat. i disagree with you on pinkerton though.

Eulogy 06-05-2008 03:10 PM

does that mean you don't think island in the sun is one of the worst songs of all time?

dishpan 06-05-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3266672)
does that mean you don't think island in the sun is one of the worst songs of all time?

for me, as long as you consider the weezer with matt sharp as a completely different band than the weezer of the other four albums, then its a pretty enjoyable song, and family friendly.
dan

Eulogy 06-05-2008 03:48 PM

uggggh no it's so fucking awful ahhhhh

redbull 06-05-2008 03:49 PM

what
island in the sun is ok

Shapan 06-05-2008 07:15 PM

yeah seriously island in the sun is a pretty good song, its one of the better songs off that album.

so i went from pretty sure this band wouldnt recapture how awesome they were with pinkerton to absolutely positive after listening to this new album.

commando 06-05-2008 09:12 PM

I kind of agree with you, but I'm mad that they couldn't just have let Matt write songs for Weezer in the first place and we wouldn't have had the split.

On the new album... when I listen to the Alone demos album and this new one back to back, I like that he's making songs like Miss Sweeney and such... and I really hope the hard-to-describe uncomfortableness of 93-96 finds its way back into the music.

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishpan (Post 3266662)
i listened to the album before i read that and i couldve sworn it sounded like the opposite. thought i knew is rather raspy sounding and what i imagined scotts voice to be like. the music and lyrics is better on cold dark world so i was attributing that to brians skills.

either way i dont really like any of the non-rivers songs yet. but thanks for the info of whos on what!
d

rivers co-wrote Cold Dark World Scott, that's probably where the better lyrics came from, though Rivers wrote all of King and Scott sings that, so maybe no, hehe. Though I Knew is a "remake" of a demo by Brian's band after Space Twins, The Relationship. i'll upload the original.

go hear to watch live performances of Automatic, Thought I Knew, Pork And Beans, a "music video" for TGMTEL and some other short clips.

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3266593)
Pinkerton isn't even that great. Across the Sea, Getchoo, and The Good Life are pretty awesome. but nothing spectacular, really. i don't usually "get over" bands. but i feel like i'm over Weezer. not in the way that my tastes are too good for Weezer. just that i can't get into any of it anymore.

and Island in the Sun and Beverly Hills being two of the worst songs of all time puts a pretty bad taste in my mouth too.

You forgot Falling For You and Why Bother? (at least the solo).

and island in the sun ain't that bad. it's island in the sun (live) i have a problem with.

Shapan 06-06-2008 12:54 AM

why bother is a blast fuck you guys

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 01:01 AM

I Thought I Knew by The Relationship

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o0zn5j

sorry for the m4a, i didn't make/rip this and this is all i've been able to track down.

neopryn 06-06-2008 01:04 AM

every song on pinkerton is perfect.

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishpan (Post 3266578)
sorry, i didnt realize i was duplicating your previous hard work. i got my info from some wikipedia links. thanks for the downloads!
dan

the island in the sun (live) thing is a running internet joke IITS (live) has been released on many, many, many weezer singles/imports/rereleases/actual albums.

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 01:50 AM

forget my mtv link above someone youtubed that shit. here's the important bits:

Pork And Beans (Hootenany Version)

Thought I Knew

Automatic (this one's my favorite performance and presentation-wise)

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

King (why even bother...i hate this song)

commando 06-06-2008 02:34 AM

That Hootenany Version of P + B is AWESOME.

Eulogy 06-06-2008 11:10 AM

i'm so baffled that people don't hate island in the sun

seriously

what the fuck

dishpan 06-06-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3267284)

seriously

what the fuck

lets just agree to disagree on that, and unite in our hatred of beverly hills =).

waltermcphilp 06-06-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neopryn (Post 3267063)
every song on pinkerton is perfect.

"el scorcho" is incredibly boring.

tcm 06-06-2008 11:37 AM

no...

waltermcphilp 06-06-2008 12:24 PM

it just seemed very repetitive.

dishpan 06-06-2008 01:58 PM

this is gonna sound crazy, but...

i think the four deluxe edition tracks might be the best block of songs on the album. i finally heard them and i really dig them.

the itunes acoustic tracks sound like they were recorded with a hidden mic in karls hat or something. i cant hear shit to even tell if they are good songs or not.

as for all the covers that are released so far, they are pretty much ass. i only really like the weight and meri kuri. the others are too synthy and boring for me.

i forsee a solid 80 minute version compiled out of the best all these in my future.
dan

SlingeroGuitaro 06-06-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltermcphilp (Post 3267330)
it just seemed very repetitive.

why you gonna go and do me like that?

TheDeuce 06-06-2008 03:22 PM

here's a better rip of The Weight and Are Friends Electric? as well as Oddfellows Local 151 and Pork And Beans (Naked Version).

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/3ylvea

dishpan 06-06-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeuce (Post 3267480)
here's a better rip of The Weight and Are Friends Electric? as well as Oddfellows Local 151 and Pork And Beans (Naked Version).

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/3ylvea

wow we have all of them now except love my way. thanks thedeuce!
d

fluxequalsrad 06-06-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishpan (Post 3267498)
wow we have all of them now except love my way. thanks thedeuce!
d

and not a dime spent! fuck you weezer!

dishpan 06-06-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 3267541)
and not a dime spent! fuck you weezer!

actually i did buy the deluxe edition because it was $11.99 at bestbuy =).
d

pale blue eyes 06-06-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eulogy (Post 3267284)

seriously

what the fuck

It's pretty much the song that sealed the deal for me in terms of thinking of Weezer as two different bands. The band that made two awesome albums in the 1990s and the one that stinks.

Some dude I know hates that song and I buy him green 7" singles from that album just to annoy him. He's got three so far. I also do this because even though he hates Weezer (any and all Weezer) I know he is too anal to throw them away. Ha ha.