Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Stewart Copeland's feelings about blues and jazz (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180893)

Catherine Wheel 05-03-2014 07:52 AM

Stewart Copeland's feelings about blues and jazz

margin

Catherine Wheel 05-03-2014 07:53 AM

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/story.asp?StoryID=1293

How much of your hi-hat technique did you get, consciously or not, from Buddy Rich?

A lot. I was raised on Buddy Rich. In fact, I raised my kids on Buddy Rich; and that''s the only jazz I will permit in my household. Because I was raised to be a jazz player which is why I'm allergic to jazz. You know, the problem with jazz musicians is that they all suck. My honest heartfelt belief is that jazz is the music you play if you don't have the gift of music. If you don't have talent, but you really want to be a musician, Jazz is what you do. Because all you got to do is practice for five hours a day; you don't need any talent, you just need determination. They lack music, they lack heart, and pretty much the purpose of modern jazz is to show off. I've raised my children by starting them out on the easy stuff, which is jazz, which is just finger-wiggling. And when they mature as human beings, when their personality evolves, when they have some depth to their personality, gradually they work their way up to the highest expression of personality, which would be Blues. The Blues, where all you have is one note. And you better mean it. Jazz, you can fake it. You don't have to just rely on one note that has meaning, and you have to actually have something in your heart. You don't have to have any meaning in your heart to play Jazz, you can just wiggle your fingers really quickly and Jazz-lovers are impressed. Blues doesn't work unless you have something real to say.

slunken 05-03-2014 09:17 AM

What a crock of shit. Typical dinosaur.

Catherine Wheel 05-03-2014 05:51 PM

KretorKind's comments about the blues inspired me to make this thread. It seems like Copeland feels the exact opposite of KK about the blues.

slunken 05-03-2014 06:30 PM

his comments about the blues are right-on but what he's saying about jazz is just such a gross over-generalization.

slunken 05-03-2014 06:31 PM

its like i kind of get what he's trying to say (virgo superpower) but he's just saying it completely wrong

slunken 05-03-2014 06:51 PM

i'll agree in the sense that most of what white people think of as the blues - the clapton/stevie ray vaughn lineage - doesn't have much to say. it's just a shit carbon copy of the real thing.

i would even lump rolling stones into the category if pressed.

Catherine Wheel 05-03-2014 06:59 PM

Kreator you made it seem as if prog rock (which is heavily jazz influenced) takes more talent than the blues to play. You tried to make a big case for that.

slunken 05-03-2014 07:07 PM

its not jazz influenced - it tries to cop jazz and classical stylings (read: non traditional rock and roll ) in an effort to seem more sophisticated

slunken 05-03-2014 07:07 PM

emphasis on "in an effort"

Elphenor 05-03-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4056412)
i'll agree in the sense that most of what white people think of as the blues - the clapton/stevie ray vaughn lineage - doesn't have much to say. it's just a shit carbon copy of the real thing.

i would even lump rolling stones into the category if pressed.

Dude, Clapton is God

Elphenor 05-03-2014 07:09 PM

And Copeland obviously knows shit all about Jazz.

slunken 05-03-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4056427)
Dude, Clapton is God

yea the god of 60 year old white men in hawaiian shirts and ponytails talking about shitty records they think are valuable maybe

slunken 05-03-2014 07:20 PM

the blues revival of the 60s did 2 things:

1: revitalized and saved a lot of traditional blues music and musicians from dying in obscurity
2: brought in an entire generation of shitty carbon-copy blues music that still lives to this day

it's like a bunch of white college kids discovered something totally uneducated and unknown to their crowd, gave it a bigger audience, and then subsequently tried to ape it for their own audience.

CAPITALISM AT ITS FINEST IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY

slunken 05-03-2014 07:23 PM

but i mean when you read stories about how mississippi john hurt for example was "discovered" in the 60s (he hadn't recorded since the late 20s) its absolutely fucking heart warming and i want to believe that those two dudes were well-intentioned as historians and they probably were but the point is that they spoonfed this sort of forgotten soul and mojo and heartache and pain to a bunch of white kids who had never and would never have to experience heartache and pain and soul and mojo and then they think "oh i can do this too it seems to drive the women wild" fuck off with that

slunken 05-03-2014 07:26 PM

i mean at least at the beginning the rolling stones made no bones about how geeky they were about jimmy reed and aping all his tunes and licks but fuck eric clapton so hard just fuck him to death

you look wonderful tonight is the most misogynistic song i've ever heard and everyone creams over that tripe

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4056434)
yea the god of 60 year old white men in hawaiian shirts and ponytails talking about shitty records they think are valuable maybe

DAMN JUST DROP IT ON THEM SON

PUNK ROCK NEVER DIES

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4056439)

it's like a bunch of white college kids discovered something totally uneducated and unknown to their crowd, gave it a bigger audience, and then subsequently tried to ape it for their own audience.

you mean like eminiem

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4056442)
to a bunch of white kids who had never and would never have to experience heartache and pain and soul and mojo

hold on there slunk

i know they were white

but the 60s in england wasn't a big rosy middle class parade like it was in the states

please bear in mind that a lot of the blues rockers came from the central country like zep and the stones, it was fucking brutal out there...that's why they found a common bond with blues

yeah in the end they are white so they don't have it as bad as southern black men in the 20s america but it was still working class poor in central england where these guys were from

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4056443)

you look wonderful tonight is the most misogynistic song

the clapton song in question does suck but not because it hates women

slunken 05-03-2014 07:41 PM

i'm not trying to say that the blues revival of the 60s was all bad for music it most certainly wasn't

but it introduced an entire world of crap just solely based on the popularity of it

its not like the blues stopped for 30 years between 1930 and 1960

dope bands like stones and even zep had blues on their radar long before 80% of the common englishman did

news and info traveled a hell of a lot slower back then

the blues is stricly an american phenomenon - it was EXTREMELY difficult to get jimmy reed records in the UK. usually you would have to travel the states to get them or have a friend who did. they simply weren't available. that's how things worked back then.

slunken 05-03-2014 07:44 PM

i'm drunk and typing really fast so take "facts" with a grain of salt

slunken 05-03-2014 07:54 PM

come get some

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:54 PM

so after a brief survey everyone in zep can safely be considered middle class

seems keith richards is the only authentic "proletarian stock" of either band

slunken 05-03-2014 07:55 PM

which would explain why he's such a dirtbag :love:

Bread Regal 05-03-2014 07:56 PM

man. copeland is so wrong here. i can see how he thinks coltrane is just finger wiggling (even though he's wrong), but there are so many jazz records that are so distinctly not just finger wiggling. i mean there are the big names, monk, mingus, ellington, charlie parker, hancock etc.

what an idiotic statement.

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:57 PM

punk bands usually did come from the underclasses, and it's very interesting to me that Morrissey is from an economically disadvantaged background because he is just like the ultimate boozhy motherfucker

Trotskilicious 05-03-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4056471)
man. copeland is so wrong here. i can see how he thinks coltrane is just finger wiggling (even though he's wrong), but there are so many jazz records that are so distinctly not just finger wiggling. i mean there are the big names, monk, mingus, ellington, charlie parker, hancock etc.

well you didn't even mention miles...kind of blue...who doesn't like that record?

Bread Regal 05-03-2014 08:01 PM

stewart copeland.

Bread Regal 05-03-2014 08:02 PM

miles' sketches of spain is a damn masterpiece too.