Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pic Post (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185014)

Bread Regal 05-20-2017 06:34 PM

Pic Post

page numbers on the other one are messed up so why not.

i went on a hike today

reprise85 05-20-2017 06:38 PM

yo JB looks cool where you are. so much different than florida, for sure. you think you'll ever come back here?

i closed the old pic thread.

Bread Regal 05-20-2017 06:59 PM

It's so different from Florida. I miss the ocean for sure, but the mountains are a profoundly different type of beautiful.

I was also sick of Central Florida. So much bad shit happened to me in Orlando that I couldn't even look at the landscape without reliving the humiliation and embarrassment. And since most of Florida is just busy roads with littered with the same 50 or so retail chains, even new places feel like the same shitty old ones. I think I'd be happy just about anywhere that doesn't resemble Florida.

I will probably go back at some point though. One of our things is that we wanna live in a trailer in the keys.

reprise85 05-20-2017 07:23 PM

I know your wife moved out there with you recently, that's really nice.

I've only seen any kind of mountain-y area once or twice, but not real mountains like in Colorado. I think I'd like it better than the ocean. I don't really care for the ocean that much, believe it or not

wHATcOLOR 05-20-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4356929)
It's so different from Florida. I miss the ocean for sure, but the mountains are a profoundly different type of beautiful.

I was about to ask if you missed the ocean.. I always feel not quite at ease if I'm somewhere landlocked for more than a couple days.

I really want to go to Florida just to visit but for the time being avoiding due to wife's concern about Zika

ohnoitsbonnie 05-20-2017 07:45 PM

Tell us about the plants and geology you saw on your hike

Bread Regal 05-20-2017 07:47 PM

yucca grows wildly which is pretty cool.

ohnoitsbonnie 05-20-2017 07:50 PM

I washed and waxed my car today. The planter is coming along nicely. Inexplicably someone moved it a little. I wish they wouldn't

reprise85 05-20-2017 07:52 PM

damn gurl nice car

ohnoitsbonnie 05-20-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4356962)
yucca grows wildly which is pretty cool.

We have species that have a native distribution and are also introduced to NJ if you can believe. You can get away with growing Agave in parts of CO (among other cool things).

ohnoitsbonnie 05-20-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reprise85 (Post 4356972)
damn gurl nice car

Thanks. I only wash/wax it yearly but it's worth it. I would love to get the inside vacuumed out professionally because the dog hairs and crumbs are really piling up where I can't access them

ohnoitsbonnie 05-20-2017 07:57 PM

Kinda in love with that pic, John. Post more if you can. I want to know what's blooming behind you. I want to know what that rock is. What species of pine those are. And snow oh geez.

fuzzyroes 05-20-2017 08:05 PM

BR, your hairs fucking dope man! how long did it take you to grow out with the dreads and all?

Bread Regal 05-20-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie (Post 4356978)
Kinda in love with that pic, John. Post more if you can. I want to know what's blooming behind you. I want to know what that rock is. What species of pine those are. And snow oh geez.

i'm likely to go back out tomorrow, and i'll make sure i have my good camera with me.

do you know of any botany groups on FB? Like something for plants like bugspotting is for bugs.

Bread Regal 05-20-2017 11:54 PM

approaching 9 years since i last brushed it.

ohnoitsbonnie 05-21-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bread Regal (Post 4357024)
i'm likely to go back out tomorrow, and i'll make sure i have my good camera with me.

do you know of any botany groups on FB? Like something for plants like bugspotting is for bugs.

Unfortunately I don't use Facebook so I have no idea. Get yourself some field guides, like Newcomb's wildflowers or some suited to the Rockies (maybe a Peterson?) and also some on trees. Learn the basics and you'll at least have an idea (at least family) for any plant not explicitly in the guide. Newcomb's is wonderful because of the illustrations and vocabulary. You'll pick it up in no time.

ohnoitsbonnie 05-21-2017 12:18 AM

Mike thinks Nougat is funny when she sleeps like this. She is almost 9

Bread Regal 05-21-2017 12:44 AM

newcomb's says it covers only northeastern and north central america. are the audubon guides suitable in your opinion?

ohnoitsbonnie 05-21-2017 01:11 AM

Newcomb's is best suited for east of the Rockies it's true, but there are overlapping species as well as weedy species with a distribution throughout nearly all the contiguous states. If you can get a copy for a quarter then it's always good to keep in your arsenal. Audubon has field guides for just about everything and usually a western/eastern and sometimes more regional than that. I have not used much other than their eastern tree guide (fine, but lacking in taxonomic knowledge) and their wildflower, tree, and bird apps.

ohnoitsbonnie 05-21-2017 01:13 AM

I started this crazy plant love with trees and the Audubon tree guide so YES :)

Have a great time!! I'm so excited for you. Everyone should know just a little bit more at the very least about their fellow earth organisms: the plants.

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 02:17 AM

is there a prevailing preference on the board for whether the pics posted in pic post threads contain people (presumably including the poster) as the subject or things/places as the subject?

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 02:18 AM

bread regal's initial photo does both

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 02:19 AM

maybe there is no preference. i'll look for some of each

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 02:51 AM

also photobucket is pretty bad now with so many ads and i can hardly get my uploads to work -- wht do you guys use to host photos?

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 03:03 AM

this is a common site in and near my neighborhood. this picture is actually super tame but i'm not about to take a photo of the super dense areas of tent after tent together taking up sidewalks and part of the street near the freeway. the homeless problem is quite serious. needles like the one here are always laying around, as are used condoms. a few blocks away last month, one woman set another woman on fire while she was sleeping. this city is fucking gross

so i often go outside the city hiking to get away from the mess

here's one view from the hike

the wildflowers were in full bloom recently so here are some ones i noticed. i usually time myself on the hike and try to beat my time, but on this day i had to slow down and notice the flowers, it was really something

wHATcOLOR 05-21-2017 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie (Post 4356976)
Thanks. I only wash/wax it yearly but it's worth it.

car's looking clean as a whistle in the pic, nice work

reprise85 05-21-2017 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4357042)
also photobucket is pretty bad now with so many ads and i can hardly get my uploads to work -- wht do you guys use to host photos?

imgur

D. 05-21-2017 06:24 AM

heeeere's my faaaaace

smashingjj 05-21-2017 06:40 AM

definitely your face, yes.

yo soy el mejor 05-21-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR (Post 4357043)

here's one view from the hike

the emerald city!