Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   FALCO & Corgan dropping down the tuning for most of the classics during the reunion (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187341)

fuzzyroes 05-17-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaFritz (Post 4508171)
sure they both suck. Robert Smith, on the other hand - still sounds great
maybe you can hit him on appearance, but he still has the "image" IMHO
its Fatrick Blotkin who has lost image and voice and feel and integrity

Come on man, Robert Smith looks like hell

fuzzyroes 05-17-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4508172)
Who gives a fuck

Old news

Only new thing ive learned from this thread is that our dearest fuzz just loves himself a little ol band called falco

I only bring up Falco to illustrate the importance of a frontman having charisma. I don't know what it is with Corgan, but it's like he just can't pull it off and knows it so there's almost an insecure energy or something. Surely you guys understand what I'm getting at.

Falco is severely underrated though. Guy was way ahead of his time

fuzzyroes 05-17-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

When it comes to rock and roll and showbiz, LOOKS MATTER!

fuzzyroes 05-17-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid (Post 4508200)
He’s been playing most of those songs in drop tuning since 1996 you fucking moron.

Correct me if I'm wrong, turd burglar, but that performance of Cherub Rock sounds tuned down a full-step. But I could be wrong

Either way, anyone who knows anything about music knows that artists down-tune songs that are regularly in standard tuning when they're not able to hit the notes anymore... Corgan is downtuned and he STILL can't hit the notes. It's a little sad. It's not a presentation I could ever imagine paying hundreds of dollars to see.

Corgan's becoming like old man Ozzy. Listen to how downtuned this is now LOL

Corgan's Bluff 05-17-2019 10:43 PM

Near the end they all are...

reprise85 05-18-2019 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4508206)
Correct me if I'm wrong, turd burglar, but that performance of Cherub Rock sounds tuned down a full-step. But I could be wrong

Either way, anyone who knows anything about music knows that artists down-tune songs that are regularly in standard tuning when they're not able to hit the notes anymore... Corgan is downtuned and he STILL can't hit the notes. It's a little sad. It's not a presentation I could ever imagine paying hundreds of dollars to see.

that is some twlight zone shit

sing along crazy train? ozzy would have killed himself twice

i mean it's ok, i'm glad things change. but damn

johncg 05-18-2019 12:10 AM

Quote:

It’s tuned down a half step. Takes 2 mins to download a piano app, listen to the recording for 8 seconds, then hit E, Eb, D, etc., on the keyboard til you hear the tonic.

Shadaloo 05-18-2019 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4508205)
When it comes to rock and roll and showbiz, LOOKS MATTER!

Good to know just how superficial and shallow you are

I've never given a shit one way or another about your posts but you've just convinced me you're everything everyone here says you are.

I'd go see The Cure 20 more times before I drop dead because Bob puts on 3+ hour shows and pours all he can into every performance. Don't give a shit how he looks.

Bill tries and for what it's worth he still puts on a way better show than many artists I could name and he's definitely better than he's been since 2007 or so. Depression 's a bitch.

redbreegull 05-18-2019 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4508203)
Come on man, Robert Smith looks like hell

Ol' Couch Ass 05-18-2019 02:45 AM

That cherub is inexcusably bad. A high school band would be loled off a talent show stage if they sounded like that. F-

Ol' Couch Ass 05-18-2019 02:45 AM

F--

paranoid 05-18-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

You are wrong and I’m getting a little too comfortable correcting how wrong you are all the time.

Moron.

BurtSampson 05-18-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

You could be wrong and, well look at that, you are wrong!

houseofglass11 05-18-2019 11:21 PM

They played SD songs in Eb tuning on the MCIS tour

srt4b 05-19-2019 07:52 AM

Here is Cherub Rock being performed in the exact same key as the OP video...in October 1995.

Mals Marola 05-19-2019 10:26 AM

Were they doing the "Mellon Collie" version of Rocket for this last tour? I forget, but truth be told i was never all that "hot" on that version. Not because it sucked or anything, out of context it was quite good, but man, Rocket without that riff is like Today without the "ice cream jingle" !

Ram27 05-19-2019 12:11 PM

They did the '93 SD studio version of Rocket for the last tour

Pure acoustic Rocket is disappointing, agreed. For some of the pajama shows, they played sort of a soft electric rocket [w/ lots of cool triplet drum fills]

fuzzyroes 05-19-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4508214)

At least I'm not a fat lard like Robert Smith

fuzzyroes 05-19-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass (Post 4508215)
That cherub is inexcusably bad. A high school band would be loled off a talent show stage if they sounded like that. F-

Yeah man. Even the hired hands look half asleep.

If you're gonna hire stage-hands to tour for a well known band, you should at least make sure they put on a charismatic performance.

fuzzyroes 05-19-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtSampson (Post 4508243)
You could be wrong and, well look at that, you are wrong!

It's still downtuned and even with with that he can't hit the notes... Not a good look.

fuzzyroes 05-19-2019 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srt4b (Post 4508269)
Here is Cherub Rock being performed in the exact same key as the OP video...in October 1995.

Just goes to vindicate the age old opinion that Pumpkins couldn't duplicate their sound live. Obviously,they were still a pretty bad-ass live band in those days, but they never could quite replicate the sounds of Siamese Dream.

Alice 05-19-2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mals Marola (Post 4508284)
Were they doing the "Mellon Collie" version of Rocket for this last tour? I forget, but truth be told i was never all that "hot" on that version. Not because it sucked or anything, out of context it was quite good, but man, Rocket without that riff is like Today without the "ice cream jingle" !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4508296)
Pure acoustic Rocket is disappointing, agreed.

Alice 05-19-2019 11:34 PM

Oh and uh, shut the fuck up fuzzy and all that

fuzzyroes 05-21-2019 04:27 AM

Quote:

I honestly think the Cure are a little overrated. They were pretty groundbreaking, but some of the songwriting wasn't the strongest.

This was from the same era as the earlier Cure and is definitely in the same vein genre-wise and it got no mainstream appeal in the United States

^More to the point with urgent hooks with the same sort of eerie 80's darkness in the experimentation

fuzzyroes 05-21-2019 05:30 AM

The hook and progression of this chorus is one of the best things I've heard in a long time. I'm honestly stoked to find something that I like this much again. It's been awhile and my music listening was pretty stale.

But honestly, this chorus is melodic gold... soooooo good. I actually get a bit of a vintage Corgan vibe from the hook.

smashingjj 05-21-2019 09:20 AM

anyway, you were going to stop posting, any updates on that?

FoolofaTook 05-21-2019 10:31 AM

I've talked to Fuzzy, and he says he'll quit right after he finishes his rap.

Elphenor 05-21-2019 11:26 AM

Robert Smith is like, what, 60 years old

what is fuzzy's excuse for looking like ass

myosis 05-21-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4508430)
I honestly think the Cure are a little overrated. They were pretty groundbreaking, but some of the songwriting wasn't the strongest.

This was from the same era as the earlier Cure and is definitely in the same vein genre-wise and it got no mainstream appeal in the United States

^More to the point with urgent hooks with the same sort of eerie 80's darkness in the experimentation

this shit sounded pretty generic by 86 when it came out

fuzzyroes 05-21-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4508437)
anyway, you were going to stop posting, any updates on that?

I'm beginning to feel like you're using your moderator status as a grounds for belittling me. :noway:

I'm a mod of a messageboard on Reddit with 550 members and I treat all the users with respect, dignity and compassion. I participate at Netphoria in peace, but on my own platform there's been moral quandaries with folks who some suspect are bad actors, but when it comes to these online platforms, open and free dialogue is paramount... Otherwise you're stuck with an echo chamber, and very few interesting discussions ever arise from that.