Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The way Billy has handled this reunion makes me respect Axl Rose much more (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186123)

fuzzyroes 03-13-2018 09:22 PM

The way Billy has handled this reunion makes me respect Axl Rose much more

Some fans weren't exactly pleased with how Axl rolled out the GnR reunion, but in comparison to Billy Corgan, he looks great. Here's some bullet points.

- Axl made sure that if they were doing the seating thing that they'd at least need a good chunk of the front of the floor devoted to a pit area... Otherwise there wouldn't be that exciting energy for the band to feed off of. Billy wants absolutely no moving around... This way he can absolutely pillage people by marking up the floor seats closer to the stage. Corgan would rather substitute a good live experience for more money in his pockets.

-Axl made sure that if the original guys weren't going to be present that he would replace them with charismatic players that put on a phenomenal stage show. Guys like Richard Fortus (replacing Izzy) and Frank Ferrier (replacing Adler) had amazing stage presence and technical ability and rocked out much harder than the original guys ever did......... Billy Corgan has literal statues like Jack Bates and Jeff Shroeder filling out the roster... These are total scrap heap musicians I.E. you don't have to pay them much.... Again, it comes down to substituting a better live experience for more money in his pocket.

-Axl made sure to get the best of the best acts to open his shows for his fans to enjoy. Alice In Chains, Lenny Kravitz and Royal Blood in Canada filled out the roster. I don't like Royal Blood, but they seem to be all the rage among rock fans right now.... Billy Corgan is rumored to have Chad Kroeger and Nickelback joining the bill... Again, more about the money and ticket sales than catering to his base.

Axl made sure that if the band would reunite that it wouldn't be a nostalgia jaunt. HE HAD TO HAVE THE NEWER MUSIC SHOWCASED. Slash and Duff actually liked the newer material and were happy to feature it in the live show as it is still a part of the GnR legacy... Billy Corgan and Live Nation are trying to pretend that the past 10 years didn't happen and are guaranteeing only the "oldies"... As a fan of Chinese Democracy, I was really happy to hear some of the choice cuts... Now I don't care for much of the new Pumpkins music, but I gotta imagine there are some people out there who legitimately like it.... Again it comes down to cashing a check over artistic integrity.

All and All, Billy Corgan the "gen-x hero" looks like a complete fucking sell out... Not just in general, but when compared to Axl Rose...The very person Billys movement rebelled against.

Sad.

fuzzyroes 03-13-2018 09:27 PM

There are other points that could be included...

Like the ability to secure Adler for guest spots. People might argue that "Billy tried" but again it comes down to execution and money being offered.

Ram27 03-13-2018 10:04 PM

Seats are super dumb. It's like he's setting up a cop out if the crowd isn't into it

also

http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1996-07-02

Quote:

X.Y.U.
[mid-song]
Corgan: Hey! All you people in the floor, take it easy with the chairs.
Iha: Don't kill anyone.
Corgan: Don't hurt anyone with those chairs. Please please. Safety first. That's our new motto. Hey! All you people in the floor, promise that you'll be safe and we'll keep playing, alright? You promise? You better, or I'm gonna tell your mom.
Quote:

Corgan: Just wanted to say hello, hello, hello...hello, hello. Okay, hey you crazy fuckers back there, yeah you. We're hearing bad things about you in the back, okay? You gotta chill out, I don't want anybody getting hurt. Okay, take it easy with the fuckin chairs, please. Okay, I know you can hear me. See those security people down there? They're nice people, they're here to help you, so please don't fight with them, don't start fights with each other. This is a-enjoy the rest of the concert, nice and mellow, right, yeah?
https://ia600504.us.archive.org/15/i...07-02d2t04.mp3

Shallowed 03-13-2018 10:27 PM

ok

paranoid 03-13-2018 11:19 PM

could you consolidate all of your "this reunion is a sham i'm trying to be cool with netphoria" posts into one fucking thread please?

jesus christ.

Oklahoma Sexual 03-14-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalloked (Post 4426323)
ok

ok

redbreegull 03-14-2018 12:18 AM

having nickelback open makes me respect axl by comparison too

amoergosum 03-14-2018 04:30 AM

These guys will open for Guns n’ Roses in June (2 shows) >>>

https://i.imgur.com/ZlQJskR.png

PuzzledMuzzle 03-14-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4426343)
having nickelback open makes me respect axl by comparison too

The same guy that sang "police and niggers, get out of my way"?

slayed23 03-14-2018 06:52 AM

I know it varies, but when you have a small section of a pit next to the stage at a huge arena or stadium, aren't those the most expensive tickets? I am not sure he is really going to make much more money by replacing 50 of the 300 or so chair seats with a pit.

It is well known that Billy doesn't like moshing for the safety issues. Pits encourage that.

incubator 03-14-2018 07:02 AM

circle pit or fuck off imho .. safety ha

Cool As Ice Cream 03-14-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid (Post 4426330)
could you consolidate all of your "this reunion is a sham i'm trying to be cool with netphoria" posts into one fucking thread please?

jesus christ.

FoolofaTook 03-14-2018 08:34 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/e8...26b870374f.jpg

themadcaplaughs 03-14-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4426277)
Some fans weren't exactly pleased with how Axl rolled out the GnR reunion, but in comparison to Billy Corgan, he looks great. Here's some bullet points.

- Axl made sure that if they were doing the seating thing that they'd at least need a good chunk of the front of the floor devoted to a pit area... Otherwise there wouldn't be that exciting energy for the band to feed off of. Billy wants absolutely no moving around... This way he can absolutely pillage people by marking up the floor seats closer to the stage. Corgan would rather substitute a good live experience for more money in his pockets.

-Axl made sure that if the original guys weren't going to be present that he would replace them with charismatic players that put on a phenomenal stage show. Guys like Richard Fortus (replacing Izzy) and Frank Ferrier (replacing Adler) had amazing stage presence and technical ability and rocked out much harder than the original guys ever did......... Billy Corgan has literal statues like Jack Bates and Jeff Shroeder filling out the roster... These are total scrap heap musicians I.E. you don't have to pay them much.... Again, it comes down to substituting a better live experience for more money in his pocket.

-Axl made sure to get the best of the best acts to open his shows for his fans to enjoy. Alice In Chains, Lenny Kravitz and Royal Blood in Canada filled out the roster. I don't like Royal Blood, but they seem to be all the rage among rock fans right now.... Billy Corgan is rumored to have Chad Kroeger and Nickelback joining the bill... Again, more about the money and ticket sales than catering to his base.

Axl made sure that if the band would reunite that it wouldn't be a nostalgia jaunt. HE HAD TO HAVE THE NEWER MUSIC SHOWCASED. Slash and Duff actually liked the newer material and were happy to feature it in the live show as it is still a part of the GnR legacy... Billy Corgan and Live Nation are trying to pretend that the past 10 years didn't happen and are guaranteeing only the "oldies"... As a fan of Chinese Democracy, I was really happy to hear some of the choice cuts... Now I don't care for much of the new Pumpkins music, but I gotta imagine there are some people out there who legitimately like it.... Again it comes down to cashing a check over artistic integrity.

All and All, Billy Corgan the "gen-x hero" looks like a complete fucking sell out... Not just in general, but when compared to Axl Rose...The very person Billys movement rebelled against.

Sad.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=guns+n%27+roses+message+boards

I am all about bringing up Guns N' Roses when it's appropriate, especially considering Billy Corgan appears to be modeling his career after that tour, but even this pushes it a little bit.

FoolofaTook 03-14-2018 09:15 AM

fuzzy just wants to talk about gnrses

(and axl's bulge)

FlamingGlobes 03-14-2018 02:15 PM

lol Lenny Kravitz

Elphenor 03-14-2018 02:29 PM

GnR are contenders for worst popular band ever for sure

themadcaplaughs 03-14-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4426277)

Sad.

Also, if you really want to talk Guns N' Roses, Ferrer was not a good replacement for Adler, Sorum, or Brain.

slunken 03-14-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4426451)
GnR are contenders for worst popular band ever for sure

I can't think of any other band that has such a giant legacy based on essentially one record.

Sex Pistols?

houseofglass11 03-14-2018 04:32 PM

Interesting fact: SP opened for Guns N' Roses in Oklahoma City on April 6th, 1992 and were booed off the stage.

FoolofaTook 03-14-2018 04:39 PM

Gunsnroses > TSP

themadcaplaughs 03-14-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4426475)
I can't think of any other band that has such a giant legacy based on essentially one record.

Sex Pistols?

I always felt between how quickly the famous lineup dissolved after 1993 combined with how much of a running joke it became from then until 2016, people tend to only remember Appetite for Destruction. As someone who lived through GN'R mania, however, I never thought that reputation was deserved. As whole albums, the Use Your Illusion records may be forgotten, but from those two records we got "Live and Let Die," "November Rain," "You Could Be Mine," "Don't Cry," and Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which I still hear on the radio as much as Appetite songs. I think "November Rain" may be the most viewed song of theirs on YouTube.

Squish Squash 03-14-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4426485)
Gunsnroses > TSP

Fuck no. Not even close. Original SP>>>>>GNR>>>Whatever shit Billy calls SP after “reforming” the band

And I say this as someone whose favorite band was GNR for years. They’re a fun band but SP was so much better at their best.

Squish Squash 03-14-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs (Post 4426492)
I always felt between how quickly the famous lineup dissolved after 1993 combined with how much of a running joke it became from then until 2016, people tend to only remember Appetite for Destruction. As someone who lived through GN'R mania, however, I never thought that reputation was deserved. As whole albums, the Use Your Illusion records may be forgotten, but from those two records we got "Live and Let Die," "November Rain," "You Could Be Mine," "Don't Cry," and Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which I still hear on the radio as much as Appetite songs. I think "November Rain" may be the most viewed song of theirs on YouTube.

Their famous lineup started dissolving in 1990 wtf. Has GNR ever written a song worth shit without Izzy Stradlin? Not sure why OP is downplaying his importance to the band (or Adler’s but you could legitimately argue Izzy was the most important member of GNR)

I like some songs on the UYI albums a lot. Some aren’t so good and “My World” is easily one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard.

Squish Squash 03-14-2018 04:57 PM

It speaks to how much Billy sucks that he makes Axl fucking Rose look like a sane, reasonable and nice guy in comparison. I mean Axl is an enormous jackass but he never treated anyone in GNR the way Billy treated D’Arcy.

FoolofaTook 03-14-2018 05:00 PM

Velvet Revolver > Zwan

Slash > Jeff

FoolofaTook 03-14-2018 05:01 PM

(how squished is you're squash?)

Squish Squash 03-14-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4426497)
Velvet Revolver > Zwan

Slash > Jeff

Haven’t listened to Zwan or BC solo albums yet (kind of afraid to based on SP albums post 2000) so can’t comment. VR was meh but I haven’t listened to much of them tbf.

Idk Jeff’s playing that well because I have little interest in watching “new” SP shows but Slash is an excellent guitarist.

Squish Squash is what D’Arcy used to call the band

Squish Squash 03-14-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs (Post 4426462)
Also, if you really want to talk Guns N' Roses, Ferrer was not a good replacement for Adler, Sorum, or Brain.

Matt Sorum used to look like a biker gang Richard Simmons

amoergosum 03-14-2018 06:20 PM