Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Solara is out for real (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186376)

New Art Rioter 06-07-2018 02:13 PM

Thanks for the PM. Song is really, really dreadful - actually quite shockingly poor

Ram27 06-07-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 4440938)
People are giving Jimmy's drumming way too much credit here. It's super distracting and wanky. I am a huge JC fan don't get me wrong, but the he-man routine does not do this song any favors as it is a terrible song.

^ I got that vibe too. I think this is the most disappointed I’ve ever been by a Jimmy track

-discordant fills
-dry snare and ride
-high toms sound weak(?) (don’t know how to describe it. bad?)

Ram27 06-07-2018 02:18 PM

I can’t believe Corgan chose a song from fucking Monuments as the lead single for the reunion

Seeing as he’s cashing in on nostalgia anyway, he must know that this straight up doesn’t have the elements that made the 90s songs good

jakobtheliar 06-07-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Art Rioter (Post 4440939)
Thanks for the PM. Song is really, really dreadful - actually quite shockingly poor

Can you help a brother lol out with a PM link?
Thanks

Ram27 06-07-2018 02:21 PM

pls don’t PM me, i don’t wanna hear it again

whir 06-07-2018 02:22 PM

Ram27 06-07-2018 02:23 PM

I thought this reddit comment was on point:

Quote:

Billy Corgan is a special case. He's so obsessed (OBSESSED) with being famous and sucessful again (he even considers some of his most critically acclaimed work - Adore - to be complete failure, because it didn't sell enough copies) that he doesn't care about the art part anymore and just tries to write stuff to appeal to the biggest audience possible.

What he's not able to realize is that he used to reach the masses by doing the exact opposite: Playing honest, creative, heartfelt music. Technically he's the same guitar player and musician, but his heart ain't in it anymore, just his narcissism and greed.

DemonUnicorns 06-07-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavementtune (Post 4440924)
what I am saying regarding that reddit comment is, how is it "hitting the nail on the head" - that person is describing it as if Iha and Corgan had wititen this song - which is not true - for this reunion - which is also not true.

"remove half the argument and it's still spot on" - yea okay.

OKAY

So Billy wrote the song. Yeah, the argument still stands, asshole.

Quote:

Just imagine having a multi-millionaire who made all his money by doing nothing but playing in GUITAR-based bands for decades. This guy is writing a really important single to promote his (so-called) reunion of one of the most original bands of the 90s.

And all this guy can come up with are these beginner-type riffs. It's creative bankruptcy.
Oh so it wasn't exactly written for this reunion. Well it wasn't written with Jimmy's drums in mind either. Regardless, it's released for this reunion, so that is no doubt how it should be taken.

Oklahoma Sexual 06-07-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4440945)
I thought this reddit comment was on point:

Quote:

What he's not able to realize is that he used to reach the masses by doing the exact opposite: Playing honest, creative, heartfelt music. Technically he's the same guitar player and musician, but his heart ain't in it anymore, just his narcissism and greed.
OUCH - straight through your motherfuckin' heart

Dark 06-07-2018 02:32 PM

Thank you to everyone who sent it.

I have to say..... the song is a mess and really emphasizes that whole "why did he even create this song?" feeling you get when you listen to his music.

The most terrible thing about Billy Corgan's most recent music is that he sounds like a wounded oldman in pain when he attempts to hit the lighter, softer notes. Then when he tries to be more forceful with his singing, his voice sounds so lifeless and if he's struggling to apply any effort.

I just hate his singing style that he developed over the years, it makes poorly written songs even worse.

deadlecturer 06-07-2018 02:40 PM

Yes, please send me a PM. I'm ready to hate.

cardiac 06-07-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad (Post 4440938)
People are giving Jimmy's drumming way too much credit here. It's super distracting and wanky. I am a huge JC fan don't get me wrong, but the he-man routine does not do this song any favors as it is a terrible song.

Yeah, but if it weren't for Jimmy's overplaying, there would be nothing even remotely interesting there.

themadcaplaughs 06-07-2018 02:48 PM

I can wait until tomorrow to listen to it once and forget about it.

amoergosum 06-07-2018 02:50 PM

Those flam triplets at 1:18 are really out of place.

Rickpat12 06-07-2018 02:50 PM

PM please. I appreciate it!

Corgan's Bluff 06-07-2018 02:52 PM

Even Jimmy can't help this time to make this wall of trivial hardrock riffs interesting.

Nothing but a Bolly out of mind...

incubator 06-07-2018 03:02 PM

Run the YouTube link through a YouTube to mp3 converter. That still works.

slunken 06-07-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4440785)
Burn down the sun?

B0lly pls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4440786)

it sounds like a ZG track but with slightly better production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakaFlocka (Post 4440789)
That's exactly what it sounds like is a ZG track with slightly different production.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Truck05 (Post 4440797)
Sounds like a demo, and very Zeitgeist like

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual (Post 4440828)
we. are. starz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadaloo (Post 4440833)

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeealllly sounds like a ZG-era song though.

:banging:

With all the lyrics about the sun, its as if this is an alternate universe where the first "reunion" with Tarantula leading it off never happened and instead this happened.

whir 06-07-2018 03:11 PM

Just got it : instant regret.

Corgan's Bluff 06-07-2018 03:12 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/23/35...eb66977718.jpg

amoergosum 06-07-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whir (Post 4440958)
Just got it : instant regret.

Disco King 06-07-2018 03:15 PM

I didn't get a chance to listen to it before it was taken down (not that I'm super disappointed by this; I don't even care if I get PMed it or not), but I wonder what everyone would have been expecting from a song written before the reunion even happened.

Even the music being written with Iha and Chamberlin in the room isn't likely to be any good, as Corgan is still the main pilot of the songwriting and he just lacks the skill these days regardless of who he's working with, but at least that material has a glimmer of a chance of maybe not being so bad.

Anything from some canceled album that he was working with Tommy Lee or Mike Byrne on can be safely written off, though.

incubator 06-07-2018 03:16 PM

If it were produced with a little more care and had the guy from Bush on vocals it’d definitely pass for a Bush b side from the late 90s

Alice 06-07-2018 03:19 PM

It's like he's forgotten what his band used to be and why people liked his music

SPLATTER 06-07-2018 03:23 PM

Jimmy debased himself

fluxequalsrad 06-07-2018 03:28 PM

Another point - why can't the guy play a chord anymore? All his riffs since 2007 are just this garbage one string butt chugging ala Taruntula. The music has been void of any dreaminess and it all sounds so militant and joyless.

Corgan's Bluff 06-07-2018 03:34 PM

Jimmy tried to make a lame song more interesting by overplay. :jimmy:

What rescued some songs from Zeitgeist doesn't help on such low level anymore. :dead:

inkless 06-07-2018 03:46 PM

MEDIAFIRE PLEASE

VoxUpDoc 06-07-2018 03:55 PM

After 3-4 listens, some concessions:

I don't hate the lyric "Burn down the Sun", I think it could've been much worse.

The "nothing but a body in my mind" is a pretty decent hook.

The song isn't offensively bad, but... there's just so much not quite right with it. Billy's singing mainly. is too clean and floaty like ZG. The production is just 'off'.

I'm hoping the drum sound is due to compression of the rip and not the actual production.

It's better than Tarantula. I will say that. But I never liked Tarantula from day one. And it certainly doesn't make this song anywhere near good enough for a Pumpkins reunion. A step back from Ogilala, even.

vajohna 06-07-2018 04:04 PM

PM me pls PLS