Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music News and Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Queens of the Stone Age - Villains (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185437)

FlamingGlobes 08-25-2017 06:19 PM

Queens of the Stone Age - Villains

Three tracks in, and my nipples are totes hard. I am loving this.

FlamingGlobes 08-25-2017 06:21 PM

Can't find a decent YouTube video/am too lazy but Domesticated Animals is a nice compromise for the luddites who just can't wrap their heads around a 20 year old band tinkering with their sound.

House of Bread 08-25-2017 09:49 PM

I gotta give this another shot. The production was really bumming me out and I turned it off.

run2pee 08-25-2017 10:23 PM

Listened in my car b/c couldn't wait to get between headphones and sorta overwhelmed. Some of it is very tricky and dense. Too soon to call but I am liking the fact I am challenged by this and there's enough hooks stuft in to keep me spinnin until I can wrap my head around it a bit

Sonic Johnny 08-25-2017 11:16 PM

This band has been on a gradual slide for the last 15 years and have just now entered "too boring to bother with" which is kinda impressive i guess. Homme has succesfully bleached all traces of metal from their sound and it's just a bunch of tinny surf rock riffs and layered harmonies where they don't need to be. 0/10.

pavementtune 08-25-2017 11:23 PM

Got to listen to this three times in a row today while on the passenger seat, somehow I don't remember most of it a few hours later.

I'll give it a try with headphones, too much going on with these tracks for car speakers.

Don't dislike it overall, feels like part II to Like Clockwork, only even more polished.

run2pee 08-26-2017 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4380143)
This band has been on a gradual slide for the last 15 years and have just now entered "too boring to bother with" which is kinda impressive i guess. Homme has succesfully bleached all traces of metal from their sound and it's just a bunch of tinny surf rock riffs and layered harmonies where they don't need to be. 0/10.

do u mess neck

Sonic Johnny 08-26-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4380152)
do u mess neck

he was clearly a piece of shit dude, but you could feel his influence in the band.

run2pee 08-26-2017 12:41 AM

Yeah. I miss the multi singers too. In another dimension SFTD was merely a stepping stone to something even grander and wilder.

But if i didn't have lullabies, era, and clockwork in my life that would be sad, because there's butt ton of just incredible sounding music on those records. I guess in my heart i'm just a homme fan, whatever he calls it i'm gonna check it out for life

run2pee 08-26-2017 09:56 AM

SJ what's your take on them crooked vultures? It scratched some of that classic desert rock itch I'd been lacking after lullabies and era

House of Bread 08-26-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

This is the conclusion that I'm coming to as well.

fuzzyroes 08-26-2017 09:24 PM

I gotta say, I'm actually quite impressed with the new album. I wasn't a huge fan of the older stuff, but there's a lot of really creative licks and harmonies here.... I dunno, I just really dig the vibe that they're going for here. A cool, creative statement in a time where rock music has truly petered out.

Sonic Johnny 08-27-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4380194)
SJ what's your take on them crooked vultures? It scratched some of that classic desert rock itch I'd been lacking after lullabies and era

i listened to the whole thing once and it did very little for me

FlamingGlobes 08-27-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

0/10.

I get not being thrilled with the album, but this is pure hyperbole and can't be taken seriously.

FlamingGlobes 08-27-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4380158)
he was clearly a piece of shit dude, but you could feel his influence in the band.

I do miss what he (and Mark Lanegan) brought to the fold, but to me, Homme has still maintained an interesting sound even without them. One of the great musical tragedies of the 2000s was the wave of people refusing to give a brilliant album like Lullabies to Paralyze a chance just because it wasn't Songs for the Deaf.

They've never recorded the same album twice and are the better for it.

FlamingGlobes 08-27-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4380257)
I gotta say, I'm actually quite impressed with the new album. I wasn't a huge fan of the older stuff, but there's a lot of really creative licks and harmonies here.... I dunno, I just really dig the vibe that they're going for here. A cool, creative statement in a time where rock music has truly petered out.

I just can't see how or why you can't get on board with stuff like Songs for the Dead or Rated R. Have you ever given this band a real, honest chance?

FlamingGlobes 08-27-2017 12:04 PM

One of my favorite music-listening experiences was listening to Songs for the Deaf for only the second or third time after eating a particularly potent pot-brownie. Nearly broke my brain concentrating on the drum and bass on that album.

FlamingGlobes 08-27-2017 12:04 PM

Those radio-station interludes have not aged well. Still think Rated R is their defining album.

run2pee 08-27-2017 06:21 PM

Yeah rated r is definitely the talisman thru which the rest of the discography makes sense, even if it isn't usually my fave (lately it's b/w era and clockwork but have also been convinced at times that lullabies is the most cohesive and transportive experience they've offered)

New album is wierd and catchy and thrilling imo, did headphones after some microhits the other night and just grinned/giggled like a goon thru the whole thing

Sonic Johnny 08-29-2017 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4380371)
I get not being thrilled with the album, but this is pure hyperbole and can't be taken seriously.

okay, fine. 1/10. Not "not thrilled", completely bored. Insipid, soulless, uninspired, bland, lazy, dull. They get 1 mark for going to the effort of recording it, but seriously it's completely without any redeeming qualities at all.

smashingjj 08-29-2017 03:57 AM

The sound is so manufactured and contrived, they simply don't sound like a band anymore. The songs are maybe not even that bad per se, but i have a very hard time getting passed that sound.

The soul has been completely sucked out of it that way.

And that hit song still makes me think of mambo no 5

run2pee 08-29-2017 11:24 AM

Hmmm i disagree; in fact I'd say all qotsa records, including this one, while obviously the work of an auteur in the same way as, say, Siamese Dream, consistently feature an exciting rhythm section on nearly every track. In fact, Jho has confirmed that the basic tracks are live performances by the band.

The production choices on Villains are certainly rather extreme/jarring, especially after the more organic sound of the last one, but its album 7. In my view I'd rather a band push the limits to offer something new and challenging, and basically I couldn't be more excited about the new songs and the way they sound. I can already tell it's a deep record that will reveal more and more surprises over time

FlamingGlobes 08-29-2017 05:41 PM

^ Yeah, after the first wave of "Yay!" has worn off a bit, I'm finding little nooks and crannies of the record I hadn't noticed before. For 9 tracks, it is deceptively deep.

FlamingGlobes 08-29-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny (Post 4380699)
okay, fine. 1/10. Not "not thrilled", completely bored. Insipid, soulless, uninspired, bland, lazy, dull. They get 1 mark for going to the effort of recording it, but seriously it's completely without any redeeming qualities at all.

I won't argue with you, but I just don't see how someone who was previously a fan could find this album do detestable. I'm not asking you to defend your position, I just don't get it. The sound of the new album isn't so far out of Homme's wheelhouse that it should be a shock to anyone.

FlamingGlobes 08-29-2017 05:45 PM

This is probably my favorite track at the moment

Pairs nicely with this

run2pee 08-29-2017 06:12 PM

I can't pick a fave rn but fuck if unreborn again isn't one of the best recordings jho's ever been involved with

Absolutely loving the prominent synths

smashingjj 08-29-2017 06:23 PM

I just like things to sound real

FlamingGlobes 08-30-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingjj (Post 4380813)
I just like things to sound real

Eulogy 08-31-2017 07:49 PM

I like it. I now enjoy rated r, songs for the deaf, and this one. Should I familiarize myself with the rest before their riot fest set?

run2pee 08-31-2017 11:07 PM

If you like this one, era vulgaris isn't too far removed: lotta synths, guitartone circus, very strange melodic choices and song structures, and plus Misfit Love which is easily a top 10 qotsa song