Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   can you cook? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=164916)

Luke de Spa 01-24-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenguy2000 (Post 3431121)

what's in this?

slunken 05-11-2014 06:04 PM

basmati rice, garbanzo beans, sweet peas, and broccoli in korma curry.

MusicMan4 05-11-2014 06:20 PM

I can do the cooking dance almost as good as lil b

slunken 05-11-2014 06:41 PM

I knife I knife I knife

The exploding boy 05-11-2014 07:14 PM

My family, all very great cooks. One grandmother taught cooking for a living, the other had 18 children so she learned a thing or two.... my dad, my mom, my brother, great cooks. I learned enough from them to be able to cook pretty good food but can't be bothered. The shame of my family I am. Well that's one reason I am anyway....

killtrocity 05-11-2014 07:33 PM

dis nigga fux up rice a roni

Bread Regal 05-11-2014 07:42 PM

i surprise myself sometimes.

Bread Regal 05-11-2014 07:47 PM

like, i made french onion soup a couple months ago and i was fucking amazed that i did it.

really, though, i credit it to the recipe itself. if the recipe is well written and you've got the right kitchenware, it's pretty hard to fuck up a dish. for everyday things, i can improvise a dish pretty easily with stuff around the house. it just depends on if i'm wanting soup, pasta, stir fry, whatever.

Mooney 05-11-2014 08:07 PM

i can cook a few things quite well. pizza making has become a hobby of mine over the past six months or so. dough from scratch, 00 flour cut with AP, three day cold ferment in the fridge. i'll make my own sauce sometimes with san marzano's, but they are retardedly expensive. i hand stretch the dough in the air, but don't toss it because its mostly for show, and gets flour all over my condo.

i'll make fresh pasta from scratch sometimes, but it really is a lot of work.

SuckSuckStyle 05-11-2014 08:20 PM

I've become pretty good at asian food. my fried noodles/rice/veg don't taste like a white person made them anymore. can do a decent curry as well.

my strengths are in mexican, vegan, and comfort food. my mac and cheese is legend. can make a perfect omelette.

i'm not an amazing cook but i like what i cook and other people like what i cook and i can cook many different things. so that's good.

slunken 05-11-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuckSuckStyle (Post 4059751)
I've become pretty good at asian food. my rice/veg don't taste like a white person made them anymore. can do a decent curry as well.

can make a perfect omelette.

i'm not an amazing cook but i like what i cook and other people like what i cook and i can cook many different things. so that's good.

this is about where i'm at

slunken 05-11-2014 09:23 PM

meaning: i cook a few basic concepts but i feel i do them well

slunken 05-11-2014 09:23 PM

when youre talking rice and veggies and curry there are easily a bazillion different variations on the theme

slunken 05-11-2014 09:24 PM

that's enough of a playpen for me to run around in for the time being

slunken 05-11-2014 09:26 PM

i've recently grown out of favor from the hotter, red curries and moved toward the more flavorful yellow curries. less tomato and more mango or coconut. lately have been having a showdown between korma and mango curry to see which i like more.

SuckSuckStyle 05-11-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4059784)
when youre talking rice and veggies and curry there are easily a bazillion different variations on the theme

pretty much. that's the cool thing. make it to your mood. I've learned to make sambals as well, then i use that to fry the rice in. less oil. healthier. tasty as fuck. i think my new favorite thing is fried noodles. another endless options dish and so simple once you get it down.

i've never been crazy about yellow or green curries. some are nice but I'm down for masala and coconut most of the time.

slunken 05-11-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuckSuckStyle (Post 4059817)
pretty much. that's the cool thing. make it to your mood. I've learned to make sambals as well, then i use that to fry the rice in. less oil. healthier. tasty as fuck. i think my new favorite thing is fried noodles. another endless options dish and so simple once you get it down.

i've never been crazy about yellow or green curries. some are nice but I'm down for masala and coconut most of the time.

i haven't moved to noodles yet but am looking to soon. masala and jalfreezi are great don't get me wrong but i'm definitely more of a korma/mango/yellow/green man myself.

it probably has more to do with my vegetable choices than anything. but yea i've been eating variations of this dish daily for almost half a year now and haven't grown sick of it in the slightest. soo many veggies and soo many sauces to choose from.

vixnix 05-12-2014 09:21 AM

laksa and tom kar ftw

I'm a total home cook - I can follow more complicated recipes and I'm pretty intuitive in the kitchen because I started young. One of the benefits of being the oldest child and only daughter, in a family where both parents have undiagnosed, untreated mental health issues. If I wanted my family to sit down together and eat a dinner other than ramen noodles, there were nights when I had to make it myself. When I was 11 I started making a lot of mac and cheese, pumpkin soup, and frittata - and fruit crumble for dessert. I cooked everything from scratch because I didn't know there was another way - my parents both liked fairly unprocessed food. Then my family would laugh at me and criticise whatever I'd made, so I have crippling anxiety about cooking for other people.

I still make a lot of pumpkin soup. Trying to be gluten free because i get really bad bloating if I eat it.

slunken 05-13-2014 08:41 PM

basmati rice, broccolli, chick peas, and eggplant, in a jalfreezi sauce

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 06:08 AM

basmati rice, garbanzo beans, sweet peas, and broccoli in korma curry.

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 06:09 AM

basmati rice, double cheeseburger, ghee, fenugreek, paneer, mashed into a paste, coated in pea flour and deep-fried until crisp

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 06:11 AM

cherry tomatoes with basil, olive oil, burrata, maldon salt, freshly-cracked black pepper and three dirty martinis

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 06:12 AM

beef wellington and a bottle of low-end chateauneuf-du-pape

slunken 05-14-2014 06:48 AM

Pffft snob

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 06:55 AM

is beef wellington good? i've never had it

vixnix 05-14-2014 09:17 AM

i'm pretty sure it's not, because gordon ramsay serves a lot of it and although he's entertaining he seems like a pretty terrible cook

yo soy el mejor 05-14-2014 12:34 PM

i love to cook and i'm not bad at all, but i do end up cooking some awful shit from time to time because i like to try new recipes that i only use as a outline.

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4060555)
i'm pretty sure it's not, because gordon ramsay serves a lot of it and although he's entertaining he seems like a pretty terrible cook

surely gordon ramsay does not have that kind of power over traditional recipes

i'm going to try it

Lucky Day Spa 05-14-2014 04:56 PM

this looks pretty good http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/t...-ultimate.html

kelsome 05-14-2014 06:54 PM

i made french onion soup once. I did good. It was a pioneer woman recipe.