Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What you said offends me. Fuck your free speech. (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=183243)

Elvis The Fat Years 11-09-2015 08:03 PM

What you said offends me. Fuck your free speech.

Elvis The Fat Years 11-09-2015 08:04 PM

del

slunken 11-09-2015 09:09 PM

silliman more like silly man o/

slunken 11-09-2015 09:14 PM

update: after much review and council, new student curriculum to inklude bottles, pacifiers, and regulated naptimes

duovamp 11-09-2015 09:16 PM

BEER BOTTLES AMIRITE! FOUR MORE BEERS! FOUR MORE BEERS!

sppunk 11-09-2015 09:18 PM

Starbucks has declared war on Christmas. TO HELL WITH THEM.

slunken 11-09-2015 09:18 PM

in my very humble opinion - the whole cry for a "safe place" is exactly where mother academia went wrong, and why so many great artists resort to teaching. its a comfortable birds nest.

Disco King 11-09-2015 09:20 PM

I just read about this now. I dunno, I think people are right to criticize Christakis comment, because he conflated free speech with freedom from criticism. Like, duh, people should be free to wear culturally offensive costumes. The university's email was just a suggestion that they shouldn't. It wasn't legally-binding or anything, so it wasn't an imposition on free speech, so for Christakis to come out responding with FREEZE PEACH and JUST LOOK AWAY seems dumb.

On the other hand, I'm pretty ambivalent about the current trend of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" and all that. On the one hand, yeah, disadvantaged people need to have some spaces where they are free from the casual discrimination or prejudice that pervades society. On the other hand, it seems like these concepts are being used to shut down any discussion that certain people don't like, and I think a more strict criteria than "it's offensive" should be used to determine what sort of speech is tolerated in certain places, especially post-secondary classrooms, where you are supposed to challenge yourself with ideas that you may not like.

The professor's comment seems dumb, but I'm more sympathetic to those who would just call it out and talk about it than those who would call for him to resign because he's "not making the campus a safe space."

I dunno, I have a lot of ambivalence and dissonance on this sort of topic so thinking about it just bums me out these days.

duovamp 11-09-2015 09:20 PM

Science proved this all would've been avoided if women never got the right to vote.

Trotskilicious 11-09-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4232712)
in my very humble opinion - the whole cry for a "safe place" is exactly where mother academia went wrong, and why so many great artists resort to teaching. its a comfortable birds nest.

shut the fuck up clueless hipster

duovamp 11-09-2015 09:22 PM

Is it just me or is craft beer too lamestream now?

Trotskilicious 11-09-2015 09:26 PM

its been lamestream since the day i was sick of goddamn ipa in 2010

can i also whole heartedly supporting ban on ethnic cosumes if not halloween entirely? if free speech means i have to accept white ppl dressing as indians then i dont want it

Dogfighter28 11-09-2015 09:29 PM

show slunken some respect

redbreegull 11-09-2015 09:31 PM

Salon – My trigger-warning disaster: “9 1/2 Weeks,” “The Wire” and how coddled young radicals got discomfort all wrong

interesting piece by a non-white female liberal arts prof who feels essentially that students actively create their own censorship of things they don't want to be exposed to or challenged over in the classroom b/c of current attitudes on social justice and identity politics. I have seen several articles like this published in the last year or so, but always by white male teachers previously. I'm not prepared to weigh in on everything she says, but she does raise some good points... at the risk of being called a racist or something, I do believe there is an active and mostly non-self-aware effort to censor public discourse by young liberal people.

redbreegull 11-09-2015 09:35 PM

it's funny cause we all watched this happen to conservatives over the last 8 years, as they slowly insulate themselves more and more, retreat further inside their echo chambers and become more out of touch with people who think differently than themselves. Then they act in ways which seem far more extreme and crazy than before because they have been incubating in their own juices. They've built themselves "safe spaces" where they don't have to be challenged by things that make them uncomfortable.

Then it starts happening in liberal bastions and liberal people are totally unaware

vixnix 11-09-2015 09:38 PM

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...t-yale/414810/

I found that interesting.

To use an Aussie colloquialism, "What a bunch of fucken dickheads"

duovamp 11-09-2015 09:38 PM

It's problematic though because it immediately stops any discussion and it can be applied limitlessly.

vixnix 11-09-2015 09:39 PM

can we just blow them up?

vixnix 11-09-2015 09:40 PM

where are the parents of these entitled little dillholes, and how did they get it so, so wrong

vixnix 11-09-2015 09:41 PM

It's this thing:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ism-says-study

redbreegull 11-09-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duovamp (Post 4232726)
It's problematic though because it immediately stops any discussion and it can be applied limitlessly.

recently at University of Maryland there was a huge blowout because the school was going to screen American Sniper. There was enormous backlash that it would be inappropriate for the school to show the film (which I haven't seen), because it portrays Muslims and Arab people in a denigrating light. Then there were petitions, fb groups, and public outrage. Which of course was reflected back by a bunch of angry white bros who started actually saying racist shit and accusing their opponents of hating the US and this and that.

I have no idea if the movie was ever shown, but to me it seems the end result is that each group just gets to retreat farther inside their own preconceived morals and worldviews, and voices in the middle of the issue are ignored, and each side just paints them as being in cahoots with the oppressor, the other side.

Trotskilicious 11-09-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogfighter28 (Post 4232721)
show slunken some respect

why?

Trotskilicious 11-09-2015 09:59 PM

by the way all this stuff happens on this board and ppl are cool w/ it like sarah caseys fucking witch hunt about telling someone on my facebook to go fuck themselves. you guys LOVED that. LOVED IT.

slunken 11-09-2015 10:00 PM

*does not accept troll bait*

Disco King 11-09-2015 10:00 PM

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on this sort of thing anyway, so this may as well be it.

I dunno, WikiLeaks has been sharing Facebook content criticizing left-wing identity politics and calling it a guise for censorship recently. It kind of bothers me, because it seems like they are nutpicking the stupid social-justice people and painting the entire concept with the same brush, and dismissing issues that are actually very serious, like online harassment of women (which they keep insisting isn't a thing). I find that disappointing from an organization that I tend to respect that has done a lot to challenge power structures, and it feels like they're jumping on "le SJW bogeywoman" bandwagon.

**********(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.********************(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

Generation trauma: The rise of ''trigger warnings', 'microaggressions' & 'safe spaces'...

Posted by Wikileaks on Sunday, November 8, 2015

At the same time, I also hate that emerging culture that seems to actually be stifling conversation by invoking left-wing language to declare some thought off-limits, this sort of attitude that you're ignorant if you're unaware of the 976 permutations of gender identities and orientations that people invented more to feel special than to make life easier for people who don't fall into heteronormative categories, etc.

I dunno, I feel irritated when I'm listening to the "safe-spacers" talk. I also feel irritated when I listen to the "OMG PC CULTURE IS SJWS ARE KILLING US FREEZE PEACH" side talk.

No matter who I'm talking to, I feel irritated these days. Everything is just enraging. I don't know what I want.

I think I hate the conservos more though, so there's that.

redbreegull 11-09-2015 10:01 PM

it's ultimately deeply deeply narcissistic to me, because these students all essentially believe their views are in line with the moral objective, and the institution should change to endorse their particular views and put pressure on others who do not hold those views. It's mob rule censorship and moral shaming, and these people just see the ends as justifying the means.

Disco King 11-09-2015 10:01 PM

Okay, I guess FB embeds don't work the same way Twitter embeds do. I was feeling wild today, so I just posted without even previewing.

slunken 11-09-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4232743)
"FREEZE PEACH"

this makes you sound as dumb as you think they are