Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Poll: Do you consider Billy’s treatment of D’Arcy and James abusive? Why or why not? (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=187762)

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 11:25 AM

Poll: Do you consider Billy’s treatment of D’Arcy and James abusive? Why or why not?

I do. Playing under that kinda pressure (being scared to mess up lest Billy scream at you) must be awful.

run2pee 03-19-2020 11:35 AM

Hmmm “abuse” is a heavy word and im not sure if invoking it in this context is advisable

But he definitely did not treat them with basic human respect, and i guess that can constitute abuse

FoolofaTook 03-19-2020 11:46 AM

For sure. From talking shit about their playing abilities during Gish/SD to racist jokes about James and posting that pic of Darcy thru Mancow, it's been abuse all the way.

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4533720)
For sure. From talking shit about their playing abilities during Gish/SD to racist jokes about James and posting that pic of Darcy thru Mancow, it's been abuse all the way.

When did he make racist jokes about James?

FoolofaTook 03-19-2020 11:56 AM

When he hired Jeff.

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 12:01 PM

Source?

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 12:31 PM

Starting to suspect Averyloren is Billy

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 01:11 PM

D’Arcy texted me and said she will kick you in the sides if you vote no.

Joey Goldberg 03-19-2020 01:11 PM

how much of what we actually know about SP is informed by actual interviews or accounts from other members vs 90s tabloid fodder? i think Billy was resentful that SP wasn't just a project consisting of he & Jimmy as the only "real" members with slots open for live members, but aside from recording all the parts on the first two records, what did this really amount to while the band was still active?

calling James a piece of shit or whatever after the fact just seems like typical post-breakup resentment to me

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 01:20 PM

Bro he literally threw stuff at D’Arcy on stage at least once. He stopped a live televised performance to call her out. He consistently badmouthed her and James’ abilities despite them both being perfectly capable musicians. He made D’Arcy do backing vocals and then recorded vocals over her on Adore. If he wanted just him and Jimmy he could have easily fired D+J, but he didn’t, now did he?

Joey Goldberg 03-19-2020 01:26 PM

meh

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 01:42 PM

^sat through the entirety of Siddhartha

Joey Goldberg 03-19-2020 02:15 PM

it is my Sunday service

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 04:01 PM

Billy won’t like this poll.

FoolofaTook 03-19-2020 04:08 PM

The way he replaced them really makes this clear in my mind. Think about it. It was all about "you're not musicians or my friends. you are gimmicks. i can find another asian guitarist and a female bassist and whallah, problem solved."

similar thing when he fell out with jimmy. "you ain't shit I can replace you with a kid out of high school."

sad thing is everybody loses: the poor saps he chose as replacements and his own fucking dead soul which now produces dead music.

I am FoolofaTook. I have spoken!

FoolofaTook 03-19-2020 04:09 PM

Jack Bates is a winner, tho.

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 04:44 PM

Jack Bates is no Kenny Aronoff.

Joey Goldberg 03-19-2020 04:46 PM

Do you think Billy is abusive to Jack Bates?

FoolofaTook 03-19-2020 04:58 PM

What do you think?

Joey Goldberg 03-19-2020 06:28 PM

tru, it does seem Pete Hook is one of the few people who could actually "keep Bill in line" so to speak

exhibit a:
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186699

Ram27 03-19-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4533757)
The way he replaced them really makes this clear in my mind. Think about it. It was all about "you're not musicians or my friends. you are gimmicks. i can find another asian guitarist and a female bassist and whallah, problem solved."

similar thing when he fell out with jimmy. "you ain't shit I can replace you with a kid out of high school."

sad thing is everybody loses: the poor saps he chose as replacements and his own fucking dead soul which now produces dead music.

must spread rep. this is spot on

lavrentis 03-19-2020 07:16 PM

James seems very mature and probably has his coping mechanisms when dealing with Billy.

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4533757)

The crazy part is I bet Billy would tell us he was a “terrific friend” to D’Arcy and James.

AveryLoren 03-19-2020 09:32 PM

Like Took points out it did seem in very poor taste to have another Asian guy and a chick bassist. It was the biggest sellout "nostalgia packaged" thing I had ever seen. With that said, they did absolutely slay every time I saw them on that 07/08 tour. More so than anything with Nicole/Mike, but I'm getting off point. We're still talking about James and D'arcy 20 years later and they haven't done anything of note in all that time. Petition to ban Avery Loren: Billy has.

I'm not a fan of D'arcy or James. I just don't get their "Cool kids" vibe. They remind me of the kids in high school that wouldn't show up during the group project till the last day and still get a grade. I have been in a ton of bands and D'arcy totally has that "super opinionated but cant create anything" attitude. James is so passive he might as well be asleep most of the time. It's crazy that Billy was able to even accomplish anything at all with these people.

AveryLoren 03-19-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4533795)
The crazy part is I bet Billy would tell us he was a “terrific friend” to D’Arcy and James.

He did make them famous millionaires.

Squish Squash 03-19-2020 09:57 PM

You literally own and enjoy blinking with fists, Avery.

AveryLoren 03-19-2020 10:30 PM

Harp on whatever you have bro.

run2pee 03-19-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squish Squash (Post 4533795)

Sure. To ppl like big willie friendship isn’t a feeling, it’s currency

Being a “friend” to someone is offering a slacker to go on tv with you out of the kindness of your geniusness

run2pee 03-19-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AveryLoren (Post 4533817)
Like Took points out it did seem in very poor taste to have another Asian guy and a chick bassist. It was the biggest sellout "nostalgia packaged" thing I had ever seen. With that said, they did absolutely slay every time I saw them on that 07/08 tour. More so than anything with Nicole/Mike, but I'm getting off point. We're still talking about James and D'arcy 20 years later and they haven't done anything of note in all that time. Petition to ban Avery Loren: Billy has.

I'm not a fan of D'arcy or James. I just don't get their "Cool kids" vibe. They remind me of the kids in high school that wouldn't show up during the group project till the last day and still get a grade. I have been in a ton of bands and D'arcy totally has that "super opinionated but cant create anything" attitude. James is so passive he might as well be asleep most of the time. It's crazy that Billy was able to even accomplish anything at all with these people.

Boy you sound so fun to be in a ton of bands with

enthusaroo 03-20-2020 02:34 AM

I remember reading back in the day a story that Billy sexually abused James, and treated him like an Asian chick.