Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   if you traded cigs for e-cigs don't tell me you quit smoking (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=180936)

Trotskilicious 05-12-2014 06:17 PM

if you traded cigs for e-cigs don't tell me you quit smoking

you didn't quit shit. unless you're like FULL SENTANCES ONLY "I QUIT SMOKING CIGARETTES BECAUSE I SWITCHED TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT THAT WILL PROBABLY KILL ME SOMEHOW ALSO."

you're still addicted to something as addictive as and less fun than cocaine

Order 66 05-12-2014 07:11 PM

well it is a lot safer. especially if you can hang with the lower nicotine milligrams (anything below 12 doesn't do it for me personally)

but yeah i don't really like the notion that they exist to quit smoking. i got my friend a set for his birthday and he was like thanks man, i'm really going to try to quit now, i really am. i was like, uh.. i don't really give a shit if you quit or not

slunken 05-12-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4060018)
you didn't quit shit. unless you're like FULL SENTANCES ONLY "I QUIT SMOKING CIGARETTES BECAUSE I SWITCHED TO THIS PIECE OF SHIT THAT WILL PROBABLY KILL ME SOMEHOW ALSO."

you're still addicted to something as addictive as and less fun than cocaine

Thunderous applause

MyOneAndOnly 05-12-2014 07:36 PM

Real Truth!

pale_princess 05-12-2014 07:50 PM

i tried an e-cig a couple weekends ago. i enjoyed it.

Order 66 05-12-2014 08:09 PM

i was walking around new york last week vaping like a fiend thinking its new york and people are generally ahead of the curve there but they were looking at me like i was hitting a bong or something

MyOneAndOnly 05-12-2014 08:27 PM

because they were jews

noyen 05-12-2014 08:55 PM

but i did quit smoking and only play with vapor toys now.

noyen 05-12-2014 09:02 PM

what sucks is that most states are putting the same laws against ecigs as real cigs. which is fucking stupid in my oh so humble opinion.

Order 66 05-12-2014 09:31 PM

well to my understanding the laws are mainly to prohibit kids from buying them, which i agree with. and they disallow you from vaping in indoors, which, i'm going to miss. but it's an invasion of space, even if it is water vapor. so i'd agree with with it (though i vape stealthily so it's kind of irrelevant to me)

what i feel sorry for is the manufacturers, especially the makers of the juices. from what i read they're really going to get boned with patent fees and whatnot

noyen 05-12-2014 09:44 PM

the thing is, i don't buy that they're more accessible or marketed towards kids. i buy those fruity flavors. i don't even go for the one flavors that taste even remotely like a cigarette. i don't believe that it was ever legal for nicotine products to be available to kids in regards to ecigs and vaping. also, if these things are found safe, then i see no problem with selling children ecigs that contain no nicotine. ecigs are the new gateway drug to heroin.

farting and the breath coming out of these human lumps are way more offensive.

it's all just feds jumping in and trying to regulate shit because they have to control every god damn thing under the sun.

sure, the danger is there that someone spills this stuff on their skin (the nicotine juice). but not all these juices have nicotine in them. my goal is to reach zero nicotine. and i'll continue to vape flavored veggie oil. i make my own and i'm just careful with it. anyone getting in to it should be educated on it sure. maybe more labels on things will help more people not make stupid mistakes or leave them out for their children to get access to. we're overpopulated. let people die and fuck up and have nicotine overdoses. lets focus on real problems. like why can't everyone have a klondike bar and hbo go.

Order 66 05-12-2014 09:51 PM

yeah the laws are obvs pushed by city council kyle's mom types who want to regulate things they don't understand. but it is fucked up that, legally, an 11 year old could walk into a gas station and buy one

and i really hate the notion that fruity flavors are "geared towards kids"... i'm still seething that those kinds of cigs were taken off the market.. just really backwards thinking. and i'm 31 and would vape "fruitopia" over the synthetic camel or marlboro flavors any day.

MyOneAndOnly 05-12-2014 10:05 PM

:hanging:

killtrocity 05-12-2014 10:27 PM

If you're gonna smoke, just fucking smoke. What's the point of e-cigs? Why would you spend 50$ to pretend to smoke? If it's the act that's addicting, then do the real thing. Or just pretend to smoke candy cigarettes like a 5 year old. If it's the substance that's addicting, slap a patch on your chest and chew some gum. E-cigs are dumb.

noyen 05-12-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killtrocity (Post 4060073)
If you're gonna smoke, just fucking smoke. What's the point of e-cigs? Why would you spend 50$ to pretend to smoke? If it's the act that's addicting, then do the real thing. Or just pretend to smoke candy cigarettes like a 5 year old. If it's the substance that's addicting, slap a patch on your chest and chew some gum. E-cigs are dumb.

the point of ecigs is a nicotine delivery system that allows one to feel and experience the sensation and time spent "smoking" without having to take a bunch of smoke in their lungs. it's not "pretend" anything. would really walk up to my face and tell me to just smoke a real cigarette? i would knock your fucking teeth out. i have health issues that prevent me from just smoking like a hardass as you suggest. and don't tell me what to do. i dont want to use a patch.

slunken 05-12-2014 10:37 PM

i'm glad they've been banning e-cigs indoors as well.

Order 66 05-12-2014 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killtrocity (Post 4060073)

i could go through the basics about how it's cleaner and blahblah

but for me, it's about customization. do you want to puff on a regular nicotine flavor, or something like banana or caramel or strawberry shortcake. think some cinnamon will go good with that? go ahead and add that and anything else you like.

don't want a big nicotine buzz? lower the milligrams. want a bigger hit? level up your voltage. and from there you can customize further with your tanks, your base, ect.. it becomes a nerdy hobby like trying to build your own gaming PC or something (see: e-cig forums)

i think a better analogue would be smoking from a hookah. it's almost nothing like a regular cigarette unless you stick to those $10 dispsoables

Bread Regal 05-12-2014 10:57 PM

did i see jenny maccarthy advertising one of these things the other day? what a a goddamn idiot.

killtrocity 05-12-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Order 66 (Post 4060087)
i could go through the basics about how it's cleaner and blahblah

but for me, it's about customization. do you want to puff on a regular nicotine flavor, or something like banana or caramel or strawberry shortcake. think some cinnamon will go good with that? go ahead and add that and anything else you like.

don't want a big nicotine buzz? lower the milligrams. want a bigger hit? level up your voltage. and from there you can customize further with your tanks, your base, ect.. it becomes a nerdy hobby like trying to build your own gaming PC or something (see: e-cig forums)

i think a better analogue would be smoking from a hookah. it's almost nothing like a regular cigarette unless you stick to those $10 dispsoables

Quote:

Originally Posted by noyen (Post 4060083)
the point of ecigs is a nicotine delivery system that allows one to feel and experience the sensation and time spent "smoking" without having to take a bunch of smoke in their lungs. it's not "pretend" anything. would really walk up to my face and tell me to just smoke a real cigarette? i would knock your fucking teeth out. i have health issues that prevent me from just smoking like a hardass as you suggest. and don't tell me what to do. i dont want to use a patch.

Yeah see my comment was directed at the nerd hobbyists. The 18-20somethings. I dunno how long you were a smoker, but I've never met a true addict for whom e-cigs were a suitable substitute.

My uncle has one lung and emph****a and continues to sneak cigarettes when his wife is not around. I wish he would smoke e-cigs, but they're not the same, and he's been smoking for 50 years. I quit smoking after 4 years, because I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath, and it scared the shit out of me. So I just stopped, and was extremely pissy and irritable for about 10 days, but that was it. My aunt smoked for a good 20 years, but as the complications from her MS escalated, she went cold turkey. There's a clear-cut distinction between someone my age who "needs" to smoke, and a 65 year-old Vietnam vet who needs to smoke.

So if e-cigs are truly a suitable substitute for you, then great, you're the first person I've ever met for whom that was the case. And if you just like "smoking", I think the whole idea is kind of silly, but whatever man, have fun customizing your e-toy.

reprise85 05-13-2014 12:27 AM

my friend has been smoking for 20 years and is a few months on the ecigs. her boyfriend is on them too. she is happy with them.

Order 66 05-13-2014 12:34 AM

i started them 3 years ago because i was tired of my apartment smelling like an ashtray. didn't want to quit i just thought it'd be nice to not get up and go outside when i'm watching a movie or whatever

i haven't really smoked since except for when i'm really drunk around a bunch of people smoking or something

Trotskilicious 05-13-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noyen (Post 4060044)
what sucks is that most states are putting the same laws against ecigs as real cigs. which is fucking stupid in my oh so humble opinion.

the idea that they are safe is viral advertising and word of mouth nonsense

there's nothing to prove or disprove the safety

if you have to smoke i guess it's better to do that but you can quit entirely

noyen 05-13-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotskilicious (Post 4060114)
the idea that they are safe is viral advertising and word of mouth nonsense

there's nothing to prove or disprove the safety

if you have to smoke i guess it's better to do that but you can quit entirely

what does safe mean in the context of putting nicotine in your body? which is safer? smoking via Marlboro? Putting on patch? Vaporizing from an oil or glycerine subtance!? taking nicotine pills? mainlining it? the idea that anything is safe is viral advertising word of mouth nonsense then because nothing is safe. being alive is a danger. these walls that surround me that feel safe aren't really that safe when they start falling around me crushing me to death. I'm not safe sitting anywhere near a road because I could get hit by a car or struck by lightening. no one knows anything. that proclamation can be applied to everything and every situation. all we can do is compare and see what we think is better or has better compromises while we still kill ourselves more comfortably. if I quit entirely it doesn't mean I'm any safer or anyone else is safer from some butterfly effect action or something else like you ate too much fruit and died like Steve Jobs by thinking he's doing something safe and good. too much water isn't safe. non water is bad. even the "safe amount of water is gonna kill you and give you cancer anyway because some asshole flushed his aids diapers down the toilet and were drinking dinosaur piss and traces of cocaine. nothing matters then the severity of its safeness shoun't be an issue.

Cool As Ice Cream 05-13-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4060084)
i'm glad they've been banning e-cigs indoors as well.

they have? why? do they also harm the other people inside (second-hand smoke)? if not, i don't see why they should be banned indoors.

Lucky Day Spa 05-13-2014 07:02 AM

who wants to go to a bar and look at idiots with their dopey-lighty fake cigarettes

Cool As Ice Cream 05-13-2014 07:03 AM

for the record, i think e-cigs are stupid. well, i don't like them. i've tried it, and it's not very satisfying.
the risk is that you end up increasing your nicotine intake drastically, because you keep on "smoking" while trying to reach the same level of satisfaction. in that sense, they're not safe at all.

Cool As Ice Cream 05-13-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa (Post 4060138)
who wants to go to a bar and look at idiots with their dopey-lighty fake cigarettes

it sounds like a bit of a weird plan, but i guess it could be fun. count me in!

Eulogy 05-13-2014 08:14 AM

Guys killtrocity quit smoking so you can too

hnibos 05-13-2014 09:58 AM

I did the e cigarette thing for like three months and found a flavor I really fucking like but I found myself sucking on that thing all day long and I've somehow rationalized my 3-4 cigarette a day a habit is probably safer =/

hnibos 05-13-2014 09:58 AM

I know, I'm potentially really dumb.