Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pick 2 feasible bands that you'd like to see open the oldies tour (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=186024)

fuzzyroes 02-16-2018 09:51 PM

Pick 2 feasible bands that you'd like to see open the oldies tour

This isn't a thread where you pick bands that you'd like to see, but would never happen. Here we'll pick bands that could be a real possibility and who you'd enjoy seeing.

For me I think Gin Blossoms/ Joy Formidable/ Smashing Pumpkins would be an awesome lineup and one that I think would be quite sensible and doable.

You'd open the show with Gin Blossoms playing their well known songs that everyone knows and loves, really getting everyone into the 90's nostalgia spirit of the evening . They're a good band but would not over shadow Smashing Pumpkins in any way. Last I checked they were doing the Everclear nostalgia run and were even playing on the Sugar Ray cruise, so I don't think they'd have any problem with being first on the bill for an arena tour.

2ndly you'd have Joy Formidable adding an excitement a bit of a buzz for the younger, hipster music fans. It allows SP to act as if the tour isn't a complete nostalgia jaunt. They'd play their loud, pulsating brand of noise which would be perfectly complimentary for the headliners to come... And again, they're a good band, but they wouldn't over shaddow SP at all

Any of you guys have any good ideas?

WeilandFan 02-16-2018 09:53 PM

Stone Temple Pilots of course. Without Scott Weiland (my namesake) they're at a point where it would make sense, since they'll never headline larger venues again without him.

Funbags 02-16-2018 09:55 PM

Red Red Meat.

fuzzyroes 02-16-2018 09:58 PM

Another angle would be to get a beloved critical darling to play 2nd fiddle on the bill...Something like Smashing Pumpkins with Dinosaur Jr would be a huge deal, and something that would be impossible for any 90's rock fan to pass up. Add in a current band with a little buzz to open the night and that would sell like gangbusters. I don't really know if it would be up Dino Jr's alley, but they did play the Weezer cruise, so I think if the money was right it could be a possibility.

Shallowed 02-16-2018 09:59 PM

The Ramones

fuzzyroes 02-16-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeilandFan (Post 4419195)
Stone Temple Pilots of course. Without Scott Weiland (my namesake) they're at a point where it would make sense, since they'll never headline larger venues again without him.

Lol, I was meaning to ask you man, what do you think of the new stuff? As a guy who has a soft spot for their hits and had seen em twice on their reunion jaunts with Weiland and thought they kicked ass, I'm not really digging the new music or singer all that much :(

I think it would be a cool choice for the tour though, but I don't think there's any way in hell Corgan would be down for it:rofl: Too much of a negative connotation with STP for a lot of 90's fans.

FoolofaTook 02-16-2018 10:08 PM

Boris
Fangs Anal Satan

pavementtune 02-16-2018 10:10 PM

Ted Nugent
Kid Rock

fuzzyroes 02-16-2018 10:20 PM

Boris would actually be pretty kick ass and something that would be doable

Corgan's Bluff 02-16-2018 10:48 PM

STEVEN ADLER with his band ADLER'S APPETITE, celebrating the 30th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction.

MIKE BYRNE with BEARCUBBIN'

NICOLE FIORENTINO with THE COLD AND LOVELY.

LINDA STRAWBERRY, solo on piano and flute.
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/0b/ea/57/0...dafce87743.jpg

ALEX JONES, rapping to BILLY CORGAN on acoustic guitar.

D'ARCY a capella, with ERIC REMSCHNEIDER on cello. Opening with the song "Daydream". Then BILLY screams "Get the fuck out of here!" and the band begins to play...

in stereo 02-16-2018 10:49 PM

openers? how dare you! his royal highness would never allow another band to play.

In lieu of an opener, BC will insist on playing 2 hours of Siddhartha while playing a slideshow of People and their Cars photos.

With your purchase of the $600 VIP ticket, you'll be allowed backstage to listen to Siddhartha in the precense of Linda Strawberry and Airplane Mode but NO PHOTOS. Each guest will receive a limited edition lithograph signed by Airplane Mode and AJC, and the opportunity to buy a Tea package ($60/add'l).

WeilandFan 02-16-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4419201)
Lol, I was meaning to ask you man, what do you think of the new stuff? As a guy who has a soft spot for their hits and had seen em twice on their reunion jaunts with Weiland and thought they kicked ass, I'm not really digging the new music or singer all that much :(

I think it would be a cool choice for the tour though, but I don't think there's any way in hell Corgan would be down for it:rofl: Too much of a negative connotation with STP for a lot of 90's fans.

The two new songs so far are very meh.

I actually thought the new singer Jeff sounded great live in the videos/audio from his first show in November. The DeLeos' riffs sound totally stale in the two songs out there now, I expected a bit more since they haven't done a full album in 8 years, but maybe they got rusty. Hope there's some stuff on the new album I like. I saw them 8 times during the 2008-2012 reunion, feel very fortunate that I did. I got lucky and didn't see any of the shows where he was fucked up.

What negative connotation, among hipsters? STP are played on alternative and classic rock radio still every day. Billy penned a very touching tribute to Scott when he passed where he acknowledged that his initial dismissal of STP was totally wrong and that he even apologized to Scott and the DeLeos. STP now, which is a far smaller act without Scott would actually be a very good fit as an opener. There's obviously no way it ever would have happened with Scott alive, it would have had to be a co-headlining tour.

Filter is a band they could probably get super cheap. Live are out there too, could be a fit.

WeilandFan 02-16-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff (Post 4419215)
STEVEN ADLER with his band ADLER'S APPETITE, celebrating the 30th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction.

Adler on drums, Izzy on guitar, D'arcy on bass.

Grox 02-16-2018 11:09 PM

no openers, calling it now

ilikeplanets 02-16-2018 11:45 PM

I also doubt there will be an opener, but it'd be fucking sweet to see them play with the Joy Formidable or Dinousaur Jr, I gotta admit. Failure is also bac in the studio, according to Kellii's facebook. I don't think any of this is feasible but it'd be great.

House of Bread 02-16-2018 11:57 PM

SP1

run2pee 02-17-2018 12:29 AM

Sixpence None the Richer
Hootie & the Blowfish

slunken 02-17-2018 12:35 AM

yea why would they have an opener?

SPLATTER 02-17-2018 01:05 AM

radiohead

T&T 02-17-2018 01:32 AM

openers cost money... no on'es got the budget for that.

spumpernickel 02-17-2018 01:52 AM

Collective Soul, Theory of a Deadman

FoolofaTook 02-17-2018 01:54 AM

Burzum
Alcest

Slunken and I could go together to see this!

Corgan's Bluff 02-17-2018 02:16 AM

The Pumpkins need a good young, trendy (but cheap) supporting act to fill the big halls.
Or a band that did support in old days before they got famous themselves, like Garbage? Which gains the level of nostalgia!

I'm sure, Live Nation will find the right recipe.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-y4AA...Pm~/s-l300.jpg

deadlecturer 02-17-2018 02:17 AM

Courtney Love.

Kenny.Aronoff 02-17-2018 02:22 AM

John 'Cougar' Mellencamp

Corgan's Bluff 02-17-2018 02:23 AM

Courtney Love with the Hole band, including Melissa auf der Maur.

I already imagine people screaming for Melissa when Jack Bates puts his bass on...

houseofglass11 02-17-2018 02:28 AM

Billy never chooses good bands to open, at least not since the 90's. He won't be upstaged, remember?

FoolofaTook 02-17-2018 02:33 AM

Bearcubbin'
Lassie Foundation

SomaPhreak 02-17-2018 02:41 AM

Openers

Halsey
21 Pilots

Corgan's Bluff 02-17-2018 02:51 AM

Lassie Foundation would be a good way to get rid of Jeff.

Billy
: Hey Jeff, how about playing with your Lassie-hound dogs as our support act?

Jeff: That would be a great honour!

Billy: I guess, you should have enough time to rehearse for a solid gig. Therefore I release you from your duties with the Pumpkins. Call your old mates!