Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

Tchocky 04-18-2016 08:16 PM

Recently purchased all of the original six Star Trek films on Blu-ray.

The Motion Picture

This could have been a great movie. It had a great premise (even better if you, as I do, subscribe to the belief that V'Ger is related in some way to the Borg) and Trumbull's special effects still hold up reasonably well all these years later. But this movie was too busy drowning in self-indulgent, lengthy establishing shots, long stretches where ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS and other layers of meh. I think it's better than it gets credit for, but it's still not very good.

C

The Wrath of Khan

Uh, what more needs to be said? Still the best Star Trek movie of all time. The rare sequel where the filmmakers listened to criticism and overhauled everything instead of doubling down on the flaws of the original. Better writing, better acting, Spock's death and of course, Ricardo fucking Montalban. This movie delivered.

A-

The Search for Spock

This is a pretty solid movie. I think part of the reason it gets a bad rep is because it had the unenviable task of following up Wrath of Khan. No, it's not nearly as good as its immediate predecessor, but it's entertaining enough. Kruge is no Khan, but he was a pretty despicable villain. And it did make me LOL a few times (Sulu after kicking the ass of a guy twice his size who insulted him earlier: "Don't call me Tiny"). Definitely the most underrated Star Trek movie.

B

The Voyage Home

And now for the most overrated of the original Star Trek movies. I said 'overrated', not 'bad,' cos it ain't 'bad' in the least. It's in fact a lot of fun. But you can't deny that this movie was completely coasting on the concept of the Enterprise crew being fish-out-of-water in 1986 San Francisco. This movie felt, well, "too easy", for lack of a better term. Like the writers were just like, fuck it, let's just be silly. Enjoyable, but as fluffy as cotton candy.

B-

The Final Frontier

More than any of the original six movies, this one felt like an extended episode of the original series. And that's not a compliment. By far the worst of the original movies. Everything about this felt rushed, corny and half baked. Considering the subject matter of the film, this honestly had the potential to be the best Star Trek movie. Such a wasted opportunity.

D+

The Undiscovered Country

Heavy handed end of Cold War allegory is heavy-handed. But it's still the second-best of the original movies. A great send off. Loved the Shakespeare references, too. Makes me wish George Takei had gotten his own series as captain of the Excelsior. Don't tell me you wouldn't have watched it.

B+

toase 04-19-2016 11:47 PM

Batman vs Superman 3/5
Some nice homoerotic scenes hehe

Tales from Earthsea 2,5/5
Fell asleep several times, it's better than Marne something (horrible film, btw)
I want good studio ghibli movies :cries:

FoolofaTook 04-20-2016 06:50 PM

you didn't like tales? i though it was alright.

have you seen song of the sea? hella studio ghibli allusions/references. good stuff.

LaBelle 04-20-2016 09:32 PM

Ugh, Batman Vs Superman was one of the worst comic book movies I ever seen.
For two superheroes both guys didn't seem very heroic at all, more like psychos wearing capes. I want my money back.

1/5

toase 04-21-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoolofaTook (Post 4258941)
you didn't like tales? i though it was alright.

have you seen song of the sea? hella studio ghibli allusions/references. good stuff.

Not yet but I will

I guess they're better when you are on weed (from my experience)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4258998)
Ugh, Batman Vs Superman was one of the worst comic book movies I ever seen.
For two superheroes both guys didn't seem very heroic at all, more like psychos wearing capes. I want my money back.

1/5

They need therapy, yes, but Wonder Woman was gorgeous, the only badass character in the movie

LaBelle 04-21-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toase (Post 4259039)
They need therapy, yes, but Wonder Woman was gorgeous, the only badass character in the movie

I didn't like her much to be honest... there was barely a character there and Gal Gadot's acting is really weak.
Her whole arc in the movie is about stopping people from seeing a picture of her...

vixnix 04-26-2016 07:39 PM

Babel A-

Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett ruined this film. Well, they tried very hard to ruin it. Luckily for us all, they weren't in it very much.

LaBelle 04-29-2016 10:56 AM

Captain America: Civil War - 4/5

Thought it was pretty good. Seeing some of those superheroes fighting each other was cool. I think i'm getting sick of seeing Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, he doesn't have anything new to bring to the table as that character anymore.
Spiderman was awesome.

teh b0lly!!1 04-29-2016 11:01 AM

on somewhat of a superhero spree there, labelle? :D

LaBelle 04-29-2016 11:06 AM

Yeah, it's that time of the year. I've watched all the marvel movies so far, it would be weird to just stop.

Starla 04-29-2016 11:22 AM

Jungle Book - enjoyed it - but we don't need anymore Jungle book remakes, or Tarzan

Forsaken - if you like slow westerns and the Sutherlands, then this one is okay

Effie Gray - Decent Victorian drama, with great costumes

The Arrival - Okay...

The Witch - Decent entertainment. I prefer scary period films.

Runoff - mediocre

Starla 04-29-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixnix (Post 4259969)
Babel A-

Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett ruined this film. Well, they tried very hard to ruin it. Luckily for us all, they weren't in it very much.

I loved Cate in Elizabeth and Notes on a Scandal, but that's about it.

LaBelle 05-01-2016 12:11 PM

Ex Machina - 5/5

I loved this film. Really good interplay between Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson. Alicia Vikander was also really impressive in it.

MyOneAndOnly 05-01-2016 01:10 PM

Layer Cake - 2004 Mathew Vaughn ganster film

3/5

i'm probably rating it too high, but i was entertained

MyOneAndOnly 05-01-2016 01:52 PM

The Equalizer

2/5

This is a Liam Neeson movie with Denzel Washington playing Liam Neeson. A sort-of remake of the 80s TV show.

i wish Netflix had a category for "Middle Aged Male Violent Revenge Movies."

yo soy el mejor 05-01-2016 05:37 PM

the invitation

@_@ two thumbs up.

yo soy el mejor 05-01-2016 05:42 PM

huge payoff at the denouement with smart violence and horror plus some sad shit at the end followed by more creepiness when you see the extent of everything. someone was right when they said it was a horror movie for adults...in, like, no cheese.

Tchocky 05-06-2016 01:59 AM

Captain America: Nerd Circle Jerk

Let's see...by far the most somber of the Marvel Cinematic Movie Universe movies, yet somehow is still light-years more fun and interesting than Batfleck vs. Supermannequin? Check. A surprisingly intriguing storyline? Check. Solid performances all around, including and especially newcomers Chadwick Boseman as the badass Black Panther and Tom Holland as the single best Spider-Man ever put to celluloid? Check. The BEST action sequence ever in a superhero movie, one that will have every comic book movie fan, casual or hardcore, talking for awhile (this is not an exaggeration)? Check. A finale that wisely dials down the mayhem to play up the substantial emotional heft and makes you wonder, what could possibly happen next? Check. The best MCU movie yet? Possibly.

Quibbles: The Russo brothers need to dial down the Paul Greengrass shaky cam during the action sequences, shoehorning the heroes in for the big battle felt more than a little forced (especially poor Spidey and Ant-Rudd), and the villain was probably the weakest one yet in the MCU (a few too many convenient coincidences). That last point, however, is pretty much negated by the fact that the real villain in the movie are the circumstances that threaten to tear the Avengers apart, and in the end, this is what the movie was all about; a brothers' quarrel, one that leaves Earth vulnerable at a time in which the threat of Josh Brolin...err, Thanos is looming.

Much better than Age of Spader. Go see this bullshit. Quit pretending that these movies are getting tiresome, because the sad fact is, blockbusters simply don't get better than this.

A-

freshfacedyouth 05-06-2016 06:23 AM

may see it tomorrow if i can somehow stop being sick, i'm very excited

vixnix 05-08-2016 02:23 AM

For class:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind A-
I hadn't seen this before, because I had conflated it in my mind with Requiem for a Dream, which I'm still putting off watching. I hadn't realised that it was Charlie Kaufman, and it is brilliant, but I prefer Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. Adaptation is in my top three. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet's performances had mixed results I reckon, sometimes they hit the mark and sometimes they were just Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet in costumes. I didn't like about 1/3 of the direction, either.

Juno C+
Jennifer Garner was surprisingly good in this. The screenplay was a bit pedestrian but at least it was very easy to read. I thought the end was very good, but there were a lot of times when Ellen Page just beshittened this movie because she is so obviously a lesbian with no interest in Michael Cera. So the love scenes fell flat. Her vulnerability as a young mother was believable though. So. But the ending what even in the hell is that. I had forgotten how random that was. And awkward.

For pleasure:
Piranha 3DD B
This movie was great. I wanted to watch Piranha 3D after watching an interview with the screenwriters for that film, but we downloaded this one by mistake. I have no regrets. How can anyone say no to David Hasselhoff playing himself, and Christopher Lloyd as a mad scientist who has written a book on how fish are going to evolve and begin walking. And ancient flesh-eating fish being set free in a water park. Also, a lot of fake tits, and a guy getting bitten on the end of his dick by a piranha. Recommended.

buzzard 05-08-2016 02:38 AM

Giving the abysmal waste known as Juno a C+ might have been a tad generous.

vixnix 05-08-2016 02:45 AM

Yes I agree. Could probably take the + and replace it with a -, but there were some good moments. I liked the seasonal titles, for instance. And I was pleasantly surprised by Jennifer Garner. Also, for some inexplicable reason, I have a soft spot for Michael Cera. And I thought Juno's parents were good.

Just to be clear, I liked the ending in terms of how they wrapped up the pregnancy and captured the sense of helplessness and loss that Juno & Bleeker or whatever his name is, feel. But the actual end scene, with them playing guitar together is terrible. Just, totally terrible.

Disco King 05-08-2016 04:48 AM

I tend to dislike Jim Carrey, but the two movies where he plays against his type are two of my faves (Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show). Well, I guess he still plays his type in the latter, it's just that the script doesn't make his wacky mannerisms the focus. I like it.

reprise85 05-08-2016 05:12 AM

The Cable Guy is also really good. I saw it in the theater when it came out and absolutely hated it, but then saw it as an adult and love it. Really creepy portrait of a personality disordered man.

Disco King 05-08-2016 10:32 AM

I've never seen that one. The trailers just made it look like typical Carrey-isms. But maybe I'll check it out.

LaBelle 05-08-2016 11:44 AM

Tag (Riaru Onigokko) - 2/5

The script is so intent on being confusing for confusion's sake that when the big reveal of what's going on comes it feels cheap and dumb, leaving the few good ideas thrown in there feeling disjointed and underused. The scene where the wind slices a schoolbus in half (students, teacher and driver included) was cool, but it was the high point and happens about 3 minutes in. The rest of the film was a snooze.

reprise85 05-08-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4261698)
I've never seen that one. The trailers just made it look like typical Carrey-isms. But maybe I'll check it out.

Definitely isn't. Very dark comedy, a bit slow burning. I think everyone expected it to be a normal Carrey comedy and that is why it flopped badly. The wrong audience went to see it. Including me, at the time.

vixnix 05-08-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4261653)
I tend to dislike Jim Carrey, but the two movies where he plays against his type are two of my faves (Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show). Well, I guess he still plays his type in the latter, it's just that the script doesn't make his wacky mannerisms the focus. I like it.

I just think he's always Jim Carrey - he can't actually act. So as a person he has a full palette of emotions but he's not even vulnerable enough to use those, so he plays numbness well, and angst, but heartbreak for instance, he snaps right back into a kind of caricature. The scene where he's under the kitchen table is painful, for instance. Not that Kate Winslet helps at all. Even in the opening scenes, I don't think he captured very well the character that was written into the script.

I'm really starting to despise actors.

reprise85 05-08-2016 05:59 PM

He definitely acts in The Cable Guy. I haven't seen it in a few years and it does have funny moments but they are definitely dark and he is playing a very fucked up dude. Fuck it, gonna watch it tonight. I'll tell you if you if it still holds up, Disco King

reprise85 05-08-2016 09:02 PM

Okay so. Somewhere in the middle of the movie it goes from seemingly bad to fucking awesomely surreal and... something. I can't put my finger on it and to try to explain more would ruin the movie. But I can say at first it just seems like bad acting from Jim Carrey but persevere to find the greatness. It needs a big set up.

Also holla at Bob Odenkirk with a cameo near the end. And a bunch of other ppl have them too.

This is a great movie in a shitty movie's disguise, for real. At least the first 30 minutes. It's actually unique but I think some people won't get it or will think it's stupid. But I like it. It's definitely misunderstood and when I first saw it in the movie theater I was way too young to get it.