Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Oceania Arena Tour debacle thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185204)

fuzzyroes 06-26-2017 08:53 PM

The Oceania Arena Tour debacle thread

Now that some times passed it's quite comical to think back about the Oceania Tour.

Where in the world did Billy get the idea that he could sell out arenas by playing his new album in it's entirety? The only selling point that the SP brand has is their mid-90's work. Hell, they wouldn't have had a chance at selling out those kind of venues even if they played Siamese Dream front to back with the lineup that was on tour.

I've read theories that Billy overreacted to the initial positive reviews for the album but lets face it, The reviews weren't even that great. Positive, sure. But I recall the vibe from critics being more like " hey, Billy Corgan actually put out something that isn't half awful."

Anyhow, it was just a perfect showcase of Billy's delusion. The record didn't even have any radio play for crying out loud (you need that kind of exposure if you're gonna try to sell out arenas on the back of a new album)

Perhaps the debacle was a blessing in disguise, because had it been a success, we'd still have Mike and Nicole in the "band".

fuzzyroes 06-26-2017 08:58 PM

Even if SP does reunite, promoters are gonna be nervous about having SP playing arenas after that massive failure. That's why I don't think anything but a full reunion will fly. I don't think a BC/JC/JI reunion sells out arenas... Unless they do a Siamese Dream tour or something.

fuzzyroes 06-26-2017 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonoo (Post 4367859)
k. this has already been discussed a million times before. who gives a shit anymore

It's relative to the contracts regarding SP ever playing arenas in North America again. The massive failure could really contribute to a lack of will regarding any kind of promoters wanting to get behind a reunion tour.

Ram27 06-26-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4367861)
Even if SP does reunite, promoters are gonna be nervous about having SP playing arenas after that massive failure. That's why I don't think anything but a full reunion will fly. I don't think a BC/JC/JI reunion sells out arenas... Unless they do a Siamese Dream tour or something.

Even then, I'm not entirely sure I'd want to go to that cause Corgan's vocals are so bad now they ruin songs

Raskolnikov 06-27-2017 03:06 AM

Highlight of that tour was this totally radical abstract poster:

Just such a mess. I think I sold mine on ebay for like $9 and was just glad to not have it around and have a Chipotle burrito or something instead.

Remember how big of a deal they made about the ORB thing? It was kind of a neat visual, sure... but it was like paragraph two of the press release.

LaBelle 06-27-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weasel (Post 4367966)
it's not like he did a world tour or anything. this seems like a stupid thread...it's as if the OP just wants to use the internet to complain because he/she has nothing better to do.

great m e t a commentary! :D

FoolofaTook 06-27-2017 08:43 AM

And you sure are a weasel.

What a weasel!

LaBelle 06-27-2017 10:18 AM

It's a censored word.

BurtSampson 06-27-2017 10:35 AM

The orb was stupid looking and looked like something from a Pink Floyd tour in 1974 and the set was garbage and billy was fat as fuck

smashingjj 06-27-2017 12:08 PM

those damn gen boarders.

Slurpee 06-27-2017 02:20 PM

How was this five years ago

Also I want to point out that even though Billy's voice is weird and he does dumb shit with it now, he will soon approach the point where he starts to lose the ability to sing well at all.

bright_doom 06-27-2017 09:14 PM

I thought that they chose to play the arenas purely to accommodate for the orb.

ninsp 06-27-2017 09:26 PM

I got to see them play at a tiny country venue in tulsa because of that tour. So i'm cool with it. I didn't care that Byrne sucked, rest of the band was in a groove.

Gooch 06-27-2017 09:49 PM

I cant eat and watch the tour video at the same time, because Bills shirt is way too small and his ass crack is hanging out the whole show. wtf.

run2pee 06-27-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzyroes (Post 4367857)
Now that some times passed it's quite comical to think back about the Oceania Tour.

Where in the world did Billy get the idea that he could sell out arenas by playing his new album in it's entirety? The only selling point that the SP brand has is their mid-90's work. Hell, they wouldn't have had a chance at selling out those kind of venues even if they played Siamese Dream front to back with the lineup that was on tour.

I've read theories that Billy overreacted to the initial positive reviews for the album but lets face it, The reviews weren't even that great. Positive, sure. But I recall the vibe from critics being more like " hey, Billy Corgan actually put out something that isn't half awful."

Anyhow, it was just a perfect showcase of Billy's delusion. The record didn't even have any radio play for crying out loud (you need that kind of exposure if you're gonna try to sell out arenas on the back of a new album)

Perhaps the debacle was a blessing in disguise, because had it been a success, we'd still have Mike and Nicole in the "band".

It is happy to see your posting. Yes really informative points. I will tell this information again to my friend thank you?

fuzzyroes 06-27-2017 10:38 PM

You're welcome buddy. Glad you enjoyed my analysis.

smashingjj 06-28-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weasel (Post 4368109)
thanks, took. appreciate it.

what?

you're right, jj. i don't know how they've got away with it all this time.

what?

smashingjj 06-28-2017 12:31 PM

cool story

smashingjj 06-28-2017 12:46 PM

thanks

teh b0lly!!1 06-29-2017 03:20 AM

for your information, asshole, it's only one j. the second one is just the echo.

teh b0lly!!1 06-30-2017 11:38 PM

mothers douchebag asshole echoes, ur.