Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   General Chat Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the last movie you watched (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=182317)

FlamingGlobes 10-27-2016 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4292658)
Music by Devo guy

teh b0lly!!1 10-27-2016 11:34 PM

ok ok i'm convinced, downloading The Royal Tenenbaums now.
i've been looking for the right movie to watch a long time now, been terribly impatient lately

buzzard 10-27-2016 11:57 PM

Have you ever seen El Aura?

buzzard 10-27-2016 11:59 PM

If you can find it, have a crack at Noi the Albino.

I can imagine you relating to that one, for some reason.

teh b0lly!!1 10-28-2016 12:00 AM

i have not - seems cool as hell from a quick wiki glance.
downloading now.

edit: both. cool recs, thanks!

buzzard 10-28-2016 12:03 AM

When I say, "if you can find it," I guess I mean that watching one of the low quality rips on The Pirate Bay would be a huge mistake.

yo soy el mejor 10-28-2016 10:54 AM

elph used watch rugrats in 2003 and he just discovered devo. everything is coming together now.

yo soy el mejor 10-28-2016 10:59 AM

i met jason schwartzman and let him borrow my pen.

teh b0lly!!1 10-28-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4292658)
Music by Devo guy

Devin?

FlamingGlobes 10-28-2016 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4292785)
i met jason schwartzman and let him borrow my pen.

Did the smug bastard break it?

FlamingGlobes 10-28-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor (Post 4292783)
elph used watch rugrats in 2003 and he just discovered devo. everything is coming together now.

He only likes the early Rugrats, when the animation was a little rougher around the edges and less commercial. A post-Rat, I believe he calls himself.

Elphenor 10-28-2016 11:14 AM

I knew of Devo as the Kraftwerk style group in silly hats

Not as the punk rock band that formed in response to the Kent State shootings to make a black humor art exhibit about the devolution of man

Elphenor 10-28-2016 11:32 AM

also rugrats in 2003 I was watching that shit yesterday

run2pee 10-28-2016 02:39 PM

Really resonates huh ... yeah I could see that

run2pee 10-28-2016 02:40 PM

(sorry to join the pile-on, Elphy, u just make it so EZ sometiems)

TuralyonW3 10-29-2016 12:19 AM

Ouija was a great fun Halloween film

Disco King 10-29-2016 12:37 AM

Been in the mood for spoopy Halloween films (not that I'd even have time to watch any because I don't really have time for movies right now). I saw the short film Lights Out and apparently the director's turned it into a feature film. Is it any good?

It seems like there have been a tonne of generic "possessed kid" and "haunted house" movies (that are all BASED ON A TROO STORY lol) since The Exorcist, but I've heard Insidious and The Conjuring are supposed to be good. Are they? Only James Wan film I've seen is the first Saw and it was the least shitty one.

I haven't heard good things about Ouija.

I guess I haven't gotten around to seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane, either. I didn't even like the first Cloverfield but the trailer for the second looked interesting to me.

Elphenor 10-29-2016 08:09 AM

I like horror stylistically and conceptually like vampires and ghouls and such but I don't really like "scary movies" because they seem to revolve around jump scares and gore which are just unpleasant not fun

I guess what I like is Gothic Horror like the different film adaptions of Dracula

LaBelle 10-29-2016 09:51 AM

I got the Sleepaway Camp movies. Never watched these before. Will be my halloween marathon.

FlamingGlobes 10-29-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco King (Post 4292937)
Been in the mood for spoopy Halloween films (not that I'd even have time to watch any because I don't really have time for movies right now). I saw the short film Lights Out and apparently the director's turned it into a feature film. Is it any good?

It seems like there have been a tonne of generic "possessed kid" and "haunted house" movies (that are all BASED ON A TROO STORY lol) since The Exorcist, but I've heard Insidious and The Conjuring are supposed to be good. Are they? Only James Wan film I've seen is the first Saw and it was the least shitty one.

I haven't heard good things about Ouija.

I guess I haven't gotten around to seeing 10 Cloverfield Lane, either. I didn't even like the first Cloverfield but the trailer for the second looked interesting to me.

Didn't much care for Conjuring or Insidious, but then again, supernatural horror ain't really my bag (and neither film is anywhere as good as The Exorcist). 10 Cloverfield Lane is a good, tense, compact story. Completely different from Cloverfield. You don't have to have enjoyed or even seen the original to dig the sequel. I recommend it.

FlamingGlobes 10-29-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBelle (Post 4292965)
I got the Sleepaway Camp movies. Never watched these before. Will be my halloween marathon.

They're pretty low rent but fun. Original has some...interesting plot elements. The two sequels go for silly cheese. Did you also get Return To Sleepaway Camp (it's the fourth, but technically fifth)? It's so ridiculous I kinda like it, even though it is pretty terrible on all fronts.

LaBelle 10-30-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes (Post 4293008)
They're pretty low rent but fun. Original has some...interesting plot elements. The two sequels go for silly cheese. Did you also get Return To Sleepaway Camp (it's the fourth, but technically fifth)? It's so ridiculous I kinda like it, even though it is pretty terrible on all fronts.

I only got the first 3 for now. I'll see if I can find the other 2 later.

LaBelle 10-30-2016 07:43 AM

Sleepaway Camp - 3/5
I liked it...the death scenes aren't as interesting or gruesome as i'd hoped, but there's some funny moments, the ending is something else.

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers - 2/5
Better deaths overall, but the plot itself borders on nonsense, and there is very little tension because from frame one you know exactly who the killer is and you're just waiting for them to explain how they got there. A couple times in shots where their characters were supposed to be dead I caught actors moving/breathing. (pet peeve)

LaBelle 10-30-2016 07:44 AM

I'll be forever glad for the best song ever from Sleepaway Camp II though.

buzzard 10-31-2016 06:14 AM

What a title, though.

LaBelle 10-31-2016 09:32 AM

Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenge Wasteland - 3/5
I'm torn on this one. Might be my favorite Sleepaway Camp movie or the absolute worst. It's easily the dumbest of the three movies having the killer return to the camp undercover as a camper (she was a counselor in the second movie) just so she could murderize everyone. However, she spouts the silliest lines ever after/just before killing people which is ridiculous and the kills are pretty good. Favorite scene after someone fishes a hockey mask the next lines are "which day is it?" to which someone replies "it's saturday... the 14th!".

10 Things I Hate About You - 5/5
One of my absolute favorite films as a kid. I think it holds up, had as much fun with it now as I did back then

Josie And The Pussycats - 3/5
Weird film, whoever thought about taking a josie and the pussycats film and turning it into a meditation on the influence of corporations in making artists their pawns to sell more products should probably be applauded, it doesn't fully work as a film (or is that funny as a comedy) but at least it gives you a few things to chew on.

toase 10-31-2016 11:41 PM

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar 10/10
John Leguizamo is the best

LaBelle 11-04-2016 10:53 PM

Doctor Strange - 4/5
Really liked it Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton are so so great. Plot was a bit convoluted, but some of the scenes were really breathtaking visually.

LaBelle 11-04-2016 11:14 PM

Cumberbatch was cumberbitchin'

buzzard 11-05-2016 01:26 AM

I always did wonder what a two-to-one serpent and shark crossbreed might look like, too.