Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Music Board Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Fav Beetle thread (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185458)

FoolofaTook 09-07-2017 06:05 PM

You must have missed crabshack weasel and this one guy who's name rhymes with bamboo shoots.

;)

teh b0lly!!1 09-08-2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 4382221)
Paul is easily the best guitarist from a technical standpoint. The band's music doesn't even come close to showing off what he is capable of. He's a world-class musician

i love paul and think he's a world class musician too, but harrison is probably the better GUITAR player. i mean paul doesn't even consider himself a "real" guitar player. obviously he can play and i love his patented one arpeggio/strumming technique, but i'd love to see some examples of what you're talking about if you have them.

teh b0lly!!1 09-08-2017 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4382212)
I could say that Paul is objectively the best melody weaver in the group and Harrison is the best guitar player

But Lennon is more the X Factor in the group that makes things exceptional and probably the reason something like Tomorrow Never Knows exists

and the only one to make a solo album I'm all about

edit: more confrontational than I intended

i agree with this

paul/john are kinda like gilmour/waters in pink floyd, similar dynamic. one is a bitter, poignant, cynical wordsmith with that special elusive edge, the other a tender good lookin' boy from the suburbs with a special talent for melody and pastoral musicianship. it's a relationship doomed to fail but when the two ends are able meet it's a very good combination.

FoolofaTook 09-08-2017 09:29 AM

That's beautiful.

redbreegull 09-08-2017 03:10 PM

yeah Taxman solo is Paul but I meant more just in terms of a total understanding of the instrument, ability to craft songs on it I guess. His technical musicianship is way above the other Beatles. I always thought he switched to bass because he was the only one good enough to simply hop from guitar and bass.

In terms of who has better style, like who literally sounds cooler to me, I guess George is the obvious pick. The chord changes in Here Comes to Sun are delightful. As in if you play the song yourself, you will actually just feel delight in how creative and melodious and uplifting the switches are.

slunken 09-08-2017 04:52 PM

To whoever mentioned Yoko records (Elph?) : I've actively listened to more of her work than any Beatles or solo Beatles records.

She's great. Great conceptual artist too.

Elphenor 09-08-2017 04:59 PM

I mentioned Plastic Ono Band but the debut is a Lennon album with Yoko and then a Yoko album with Lennon

I do like some Yoko stuff but I'm not well versed or anything

slunken 09-08-2017 05:02 PM

I only know a couple of her albums. "Feeling the Space" is quite good. As is Fly and Approximate Infinte Universe. Those are the 3 I know best.

soniclovenoize 09-08-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4382447)
I mentioned Plastic Ono Band but the debut is a Lennon album with Yoko and then a Yoko album with Lennon

I do like some Yoko stuff but I'm not well versed or anything

You should love this.

teh b0lly!!1 09-09-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poots (Post 4382540)
Also Paul says that the best song written in the modern era is the Beach Boys "You Still Believe in Me" and he's completely right.

except it's actually "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)"

redbreegull 09-09-2017 12:30 AM

Paul is totally the dreamiest

FoolofaTook 09-09-2017 01:48 AM

Yeah he's hella cute.

I love Rain. What a song. Forgot about Past Masters. Good shit. Don't let me down is there too.

soniclovenoize 09-09-2017 11:15 AM

With all of Paul's strengths that Poots mentions, he could easily drift away into aimless whimsy and disposal schlock when left to his own devices. He needed someone like John to keep him grounded.

The same goes for John though, who needed a Paul too as basically a shit-detector.

Elphenor 09-09-2017 12:19 PM

I mean are any of you really all about Wings

FoolofaTook 09-09-2017 12:22 PM

Never checked them out. Should I? Always thought live and let die was kinda lame, at least in parts.

am i the only one in love with early beatles? I like all their albums but beatles for sale has some super mellifluous shit. words of love comes to mind.

run2pee 09-09-2017 12:28 PM

I fucken love hard day's nite even the instrumentals

I know I'm not supposed to, but I do

Only problem is I learned it from a badly pressed copy spun a cent or three too slow on an ancient sears turntable, so when I hear any of it on the radio it gives me panic b/c too fast too crystalline

Elphenor 09-09-2017 12:29 PM

idk with Lennon there are top charters with forever mainstream relevance (Imagine)

but then there's also Plastic Ono stuff that's got real meat to it

idk what McCartney has, Band on the Run?

FoolofaTook 09-09-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run To Me (Post 4382628)
I fucken love hard day's nite even the instrumentals

I know I'm not supposed to, but I do

Only problem is I learned it from a badly pressed copy spun a cent or three too slow on an ancient sears turntable, so when I hear any of it on the radio it gives me panic b/c too fast too crystalline

Have you seen the movie. there's a clean man in it who desperately wants to go parading. :)

help is my utter favorite. never forget tthe feeling of first discovering those melodies. shit like its only love and hide your love away. ah yes.

FoolofaTook 09-09-2017 12:43 PM

Elph there are two songs on imagine that transcend: jealous guy and the one that starts oh my luver for the first time in my life.

soniclovenoize 09-09-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elphenor (Post 4382629)
idk with Lennon there are top charters with forever mainstream relevance (Imagine)

but then there's also Plastic Ono stuff that's got real meat to it

idk what McCartney has, Band on the Run?

McCartney, Ram, Band On The Run, Red Rose Speedway and Tug of War are all good to great albums.

Elphenor 09-09-2017 02:35 PM

It's all very Dad Rock and I can't stomach it

Elphenor 09-09-2017 02:38 PM

Well well well

where Lennon is screeching his head off let's fuckin go