Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ugh Astral Planes is going to be so bad. (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=170076)

Gossamer 03-28-2010 03:21 PM

Ugh Astral Planes is going to be so bad.

It has literally zero redeeming qualities and I don't know how any studio trickery (more like butchery) is going to make it any better.

This project is just getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Astur 03-28-2010 04:05 PM

many, many more to come

lucid_interval 03-28-2010 04:43 PM

you'll get over it you moaning minnie

slunken 03-28-2010 05:11 PM

The kicker, for me, is the Chris Isaak interview where B is going on and on about how awesome he is as a lyricist and that's how he's going to be remembered in the annals of rock. :erm: Yet he keeps spitting out this trite, sing-songy garbage. He's thisclose to rhyming "brain" with "insane".

samuel redman 03-28-2010 05:24 PM

ill love it

Luke de Spa 03-28-2010 07:38 PM

If bill were to rhyme "brain" with "membrane" my respect for him would increase immensely

AveryLoren 03-28-2010 09:08 PM

I'm actually looking forward to this as it was my favorite from the spirits shows well i really love Freak too

Cool As Ice Cream 03-29-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gossamer (Post 3611828)
It has literally zero redeeming qualities and I don't know how any studio trickery (more like butchery) is going to make it any better.

This project is just getting worse and worse as time goes on.

how do you even know this song? did you really check out those spirits in the skies shows? looks like your interest levels are still much higher than mine. you don't impress me with your decision to not buy zeitgeist. meh! fanboy!

Shallowed 03-29-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream (Post 3611959)
looks like your interest levels are still much higher than mine. you don't impress me with your decision to not buy zeitgeist.

Don't you own dozens of copies of Zeitgeist?

Kahlo 03-29-2010 08:03 AM

Don't believe everything Esty tells you.

I'd honestly forgotten about this joke of a project.

Corganist 03-29-2010 04:12 PM

I've not been really looking forward to this one either, but at least it'll be a change in sound from the first three songs. It'll be interesting to see how the recording turns out on a song that is supposed to be loud and distorted instead of the acoustic-y stuff on the first three.

redbreegull 03-29-2010 04:22 PM

when can we expect this masterpiece to drop

Gossamer 03-29-2010 04:31 PM

I actually like Freak, but Astral Planes is godawful.

I just don't get what happened to his ability to write interesting lyrics, the choruses are all so repetitive and lame nowadays.

Corganist 03-29-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbreegull (Post 3612048)
when can we expect this masterpiece to drop

I'd expect mid-April. I bet they release it right around the time of that Record Store Day show to drum up excitement.

Cade McNown 03-30-2010 05:55 PM

the wait hurts worse than the blows

Corganist 03-30-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilist (Post 3612109)
It'll be far more interesting to see what excuses you will offer for it when this shit drops. That's what I'm anticipating.

Yeah, because I've been raving about the other songs so much to this point. :rolleyes:

Just because I don't buy into the idiotic "Worst. Song. Ever." line that people here take every time something new comes out doesn't mean I think the songs released so far are not pretty far below standard.

Order 66 03-30-2010 07:27 PM

It could be okay. I could see the song being built up into one of those SP power jams in the end. but the live song itself seems like WWMM singalong type fare so who knows

Corganist 03-30-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihilist (Post 3612259)
Every time something new comes out? Come now, you are exaggerating. People were very excited listening to the Zwan bootlegs, TFE is actually still liked by some people here nowadays, Tarantula was greeted quite positively, there were people who liked Zeitgeist and most still love Stellar, and I'm sure that there are some songs from AG that are viewed as decent.

It's only lately (GLOW, FOL, TBK) that there's been a nigh unanimous cry of "utter bullshit."

That's kinda my point though. In my mind, TBK has been every bit as middling as American Gothic was. (If anything, TBK has been damn near American Gothic II so far.) Yet, the reaction to TBK has been so much more pronounced in its negativity (not that AG got a positive response...more like "ehhhh"), and it just doesn't make sense to me.

But regardless, I don't see myself bending over backwards to tell everyone Astral Planes is good unless it's good. I didn't like the song played live (mainly because of Linda's vocals, which I usually like), so it would have to be a massive improvement to warm me up to it. If it's loud, raw, and the repetitiveness of the lyrics is dealt with..maybe it'll have a chance with me. But I fear it's gonna be drowned in bad sounding synth and be about 2 minutes too long.

Order 66 03-30-2010 08:04 PM

I've said it before but TBK is the SP/corgan take on 70s folk rock. So right there you're going to lose a lot of people. But f you can get past that I don't see how you couldn't dislike it any more than zeitgeist. I think already its a vast improvement but you can't really tell with 3 songs

srt4b 03-30-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corganist (Post 3612266)
That's kinda my point though. In my mind, TBK has been every bit as middling as American Gothic was. (If anything, TBK has been damn near American Gothic II so far.) Yet, the reaction to TBK has been so much more pronounced in its negativity (not that AG got a positive response...more like "ehhhh"), and it just doesn't make sense to me.

But regardless, I don't see myself bending over backwards to tell everyone Astral Planes is good unless it's good. I didn't like the song played live (mainly because of Linda's vocals, which I usually like), so it would have to be a massive improvement to warm me up to it. If it's loud, raw, and the repetitiveness of the lyrics is dealt with..maybe it'll have a chance with me. But I fear it's gonna be drowned in bad sounding synth and be about 2 minutes too long.

Expectations my friend. When Bill promotes something as his greatest work since the 90s people aren't expecting some crappy folk/pop fodder and a new age hippy spaced out Feature in Rolling Stone.

slunken 03-30-2010 09:45 PM

Going with the set timeline, this song should be out next week.

Cool As Ice Cream 03-31-2010 02:34 AM

nobody care

Kahlo 03-31-2010 08:16 AM

Hey Micky

smashingpumpkins.com/board

bye!

Kahlo 03-31-2010 09:12 AM

Not anymore - I quit because the place is frequented by retards (of a lesser quality than here)

Anyway, are you still optimistic about Teargarden?