Netphoria Message Board

Netphoria Message Board (http://forums.netphoria.org/index.php)
-   Pumpkins Archive (http://forums.netphoria.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pumpkins were supposed to film an MTV Unplugged set in July 1996 (http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=185255)

Ram27 07-11-2017 09:49 PM

Pumpkins were supposed to film an MTV Unplugged set in July 1996

Quote:

Addicted to Noise reported on the 4th that the band would be back in Chicago for an "MTV Unplugged" session featuring the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The projected set did not occur for unknown reasons.
fuck that would've been amazing

Skradgee 07-11-2017 09:58 PM

Yeah, yeah. Instead we got VH1 Storytellers. BFD.

Zerospaced 07-11-2017 10:28 PM

Even in 1996 Bobo was not following through on promises.

Funbags 07-12-2017 12:14 AM

Melvoin died July 12.

qwerty sp 07-12-2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4371025)

I agree

It could have been the high point for the band

amoergosum 07-12-2017 03:27 AM

amoergosum 07-12-2017 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4371025)

...regarding the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

"Tonight, Tonight" is written in the key of G, performed on instruments tuned down a half-step so the actual pitch is G♭. In the original recording sessions, "Tonight, Tonight" was initially written in the key of C instead of G. However, since Corgan was unable to sing the song in C, he wrote a version during the Mellon Collie recording sessions to suit his range. The strings for the song were arranged by Billy Corgan & Audrey Riley, and recorded with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Corgan said that recording with a 30-piece string-section for the song "was probably one of the most exciting recording experiences I have ever had."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonigh..._Pumpkins_song)

teh b0lly!!1 07-12-2017 05:28 AM

considering that the pumpkins' strong suit live was always the powerful drumming and guitaring, an unplugged set hampered by Cordman's shitty vocals would probably be nothing to write home about. no fucks given.

amoergosum 07-12-2017 07:30 AM

FoolofaTook 07-12-2017 11:15 AM

I think he's trying to say something but with like videos instead of words man.

TuralyonW3 07-12-2017 12:40 PM

hole unplugged is stupid

Ram27 07-12-2017 12:45 PM

cork_soaker 07-12-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 (Post 4371092)
considering that the pumpkins' strong suit live was always the powerful drumming and guitaring, an unplugged set hampered by Cordman's shitty vocals would probably be nothing to write home about. no fucks given.

i dunno man, that '93 "Black Sessions" show is magnificent

Ram27 07-12-2017 01:00 PM

thanks for posting, didn't know they did a black sessions set

july 4th london show is also excellent:

BurtSampson 07-12-2017 01:28 PM

god who could even care they're not even good plugged in

amoergosum 07-12-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram27 (Post 4371156)

Hahaaa...that's hilarious.

Rule #1: Don't piss off the sound guy.

YouTube description:

"Hole performing Celebrity Skin live at Don Hill's in NYC, Sept. 11, 2010.

I was hired through the venue to record this show (including many others throughout that week) and was then left standing with a hard drive and an invoice no one seemed to want. Four years later I still have the files and not really any idea what to do with them. But I like to share. So here we are.

What you are hearing are just Courtney's isolated vocal and guitar mics (with the obvious bleed from the rest of the band). I've muted everything else. EDIT: There seems to be some confusion about where/what the video footage is. It's a video of the same performance. It's just not my video. I did not shoot this video. I did not edit this video together. I have merely taken my audio recording of the same performance and synced it as best I could. Their edit is sloppy which is why it drifts in and out of sync. It's not about the video, anyway. It's there for context. The source video is here with their own audio: http://youtu.be/_HDMp8j7i1E Also, I've now uploaded a second video with my own mix of the full band here: http://youtu.be/13QNXpJugBc

To address the most obvious, inevitable question that I will be asked...this is not fake. Whether you think she's the worst or this just makes her all the more "punk rock" is for you to decide. I'm merely presenting the facts as they are. Make of them what you will.

UPDATE: If you want the rest of the show in the same manner you can download it for free here: https://www.oboom.com/SETT9F5K

UPDATE: Here's the best proof of authenticity anyone could ask for. Another 2010 video shot in Paris of Courtney Love playing, effectively, the exact same thing: http://youtu.be/BG6xZlBUDD4 Cheers to pentagonoenllamas for pointing it out."

FlamingGlobes 07-12-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

She's still a better guitarist than me.

FlamingGlobes 07-12-2017 02:24 PM

I love that there is nothing left to talk about with SP other than "things that never happened."

TuralyonW3 07-12-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

no, this is not real. i see the thing posted from the sound guy above, but even shitty courtney can play much better than that. it sounds like one of those "shred" videos. and it's not even distorted right. no i refuse to believe this

BurtSampson 07-12-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 (Post 4371198)
no, this is not real. i see the thing posted from the sound guy above, but even shitty courtney can play much better than that. it sounds like one of those "shred" videos. and it's not even distorted right. no i refuse to believe this

then how do you explain the vocals

TuralyonW3 07-12-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurtSampson (Post 4371199)
then how do you explain the vocals

I dunno, maybe someone got the isolated vocal track (with band leakage) and added a "shred" style track.

i mean, i there's no way to tell if it's real or not, but it's so hard to imagine her playing THAT shitty

slunken 07-12-2017 05:44 PM

It's an isolated dry mix without any effects on her guitar and there is obviously another mix he could have made with her guitar how it really sounded with the effects on it.

So to be fair the video isn't being completely fair.

teh b0lly!!1 07-12-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4371238)
It's an isolated dry mix without any effects on her guitar and there is obviously another mix he could have made with her guitar how it really sounded with the effects on it.

So to be fair the video isn't being completely fair.

that's got nothing to do with it - her notes don't even come out sounding right, it's all muted and buzzing and shitty due to bad left hand chording.

this seems allllmost real to me - although i sort of agree with turdlion it kinda has that shred video vibe.
like, who would even bother making up this story and playing shitty guitar and bothering to sync it up so accurately?
....then again, it's the internet. so who knows.

what bugged me, though, was that she stops playing and puts both her hands up in the air multiple times during the course of the song, and there is no feedbacking or even pickup noise whatsoever. that's what kills it for me, and makes me think it might be fake. we don't even need to assume she's too fucked up to bother with a volume knob, you can see she's not even reaching for it

teh b0lly!!1 07-12-2017 10:03 PM

i still have no explanation to the feedback thing (even tailoring a gate to be that accurate in a live setting would be a challenge), but - this is really much harder to deny. same thing from another concert

apparently it's real, folks

what a fucking joke, this is mind boggling

slunken 07-12-2017 10:35 PM

What I'm saying is that it wouldn't sound quite as shitty with fuzz or whatever on top.

I've heard isolated sources like this before and I'm certainly not calling her a talented guitar player but everyone knows you can get away with shitty technique when you're using effects. What you are hearing is completely dry with zero effects. No one in the club heard that except the soundman when he got home.

This is not exactly an isolated incident. Plenty of bands would sound this terrible if you took the effects away from the front person.

slunken 07-12-2017 10:36 PM

The reason you hear no feedback is because it's a 100% DRY SIGNAL

slunken 07-12-2017 10:37 PM

Am I actually defending her? No.

I'm just talking about the signal chain.

Haven't watched that second video FWIW, just going from that first one that's been making the rounds for a few years.

slunken 07-12-2017 10:49 PM

I think a more important question is how much did BC really write for the Celebrity Skin LP?

His style seems to be all over that album.

teh b0lly!!1 07-12-2017 10:50 PM

please do watch the second one before going any further.
thank me later

Quote:

Originally Posted by slunken (Post 4371284)
The reason you hear no feedback is because it's a 100% DRY SIGNAL

it's definitely not just the clean DI signal. it's overdriven

feedback causes the strings to vibrate, you would need to hear it (or at least SOMETHING) when she just lets go of the guitar and puts her hands in the air